Favorite style of grappling? (I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a major one.)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Favorite style of grappling? (I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a major one.)
POLL: What is your overall favorite style of grappling
Freestyle wrestling 15% (8)
Catch wrestling 11% (6)
Grecko Roman 7% (4)
BJJ 43% (23)
Judo 11% (6)
Other 13% (7)
seanfu
4/28/08 8:24:12PM
What do you favor. I'm not necessarily asking which is most relevan in combat. Just the overall fave around here.
seanfu
4/28/08 8:26:04PM
Personal favorite is the clinching. Gotta go Grecko. I would like to see a fighter who mastered Judo, Grecko, and Muay Thai. OMG what a beast in the clinch.
loller90278
4/28/08 8:28:16PM
you missed sambo and some forms of wrestling

and theres no K in greco

:)

and theres other forms of JJ besides brazilian
fedorwins1
4/28/08 8:34:27PM
I just like grappling. I don't have a favorite style, just grappling. I try to mix in everything (like you should).
Aaronno9
4/28/08 8:40:28PM
I dont train any kind of grappling, but my favorite to watch is sambo.
puppetmaster837
4/28/08 9:29:10PM
Submission wrestling is my favorite to watch. I have some Grapplers Quest dvds and watch the ADCC videos i can online
hotrodttt
4/28/08 9:33:15PM
As a Freestyle Wrestler of course I'm going to pick that, but If I'm picking what the Best is then it's definately Judo, they mix in throws with Grappling.
jgtribbett
4/28/08 10:08:13PM
Greco baby
loonytnt
4/29/08 9:44:51AM
i love my bjj
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/29/08 12:09:49PM

Posted by loonytnt

i love my bjj

amen
jiujitsufreak74
4/29/08 4:08:09PM
wonder what i would pick...

i love no-gi BJJ. it is my favorite aspect of my training. i love the submissions, transitions/guard passes, technicality and beauty of it. really it is the submissions that make it my favorite as there is no greater satisfaction then making someone tap out. i could ramble on and on but ill just stop there.
artofdefense
4/30/08 4:13:41PM
Catch wrestling has the most complete takedown, takedown defense,reversal, and submission combination of any grappling art w the exception of perhaps Silat.
The_Ho_Bag
4/30/08 4:41:21PM
Hmmm lets see i my self am not a grappler.. im a striker, i<33 the feeling of highkicking ppl in the head (like CC) =] it feels great lol anyways back to the topic:

I went for BJJ

love guard play its fun just mess w/ ppl in their guard but some times i get caught so yah lol =]
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 8:39:45PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Hmmm lets see i my self am not a grappler.. im a striker, i<33 the feeling of highkicking ppl in the head (like CC) =] it feels great lol anyways back to the topic:

I went for BJJ

love guard play its fun just mess w/ ppl in their guard but some times i get caught so yah lol =]

sometimes huh...that's an understatement

nah man im just playing around. can't wait to do the JJ at Xtreme Couture after all of my AP exams and SAT
The_Ho_Bag
4/30/08 8:40:32PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

I went for BJJ

sometimes huh...that's an understatement

nah man im just playing around. can't wait to do the JJ at Xtreme Couture after all of my AP exams and SAT

agreed w/ u 100% though i kinda suck at BJJ but im always willing to get better =]
Tein_Lung
5/1/08 11:58:05AM
you forgot Sambo
The-Don
5/6/08 6:47:52PM
well besides Sambo he forgot tradational jujitsu either style I would pick before whats listed... so I am going for other...
The_Notorious_ZIG
5/7/08 12:22:58PM
There are effective techniques in all of them. I try to learn as much as I can about all of them and try to apply what best suits my physical strengths and what I'm most comfortable with. My instructor mixes in judo, sambo, traditional JJ, BJJ and free style wrestling. To me it doesn't make sense to do it any other way.
fullerene
5/7/08 3:52:46PM
I'm surprised so many people are picking BJJ. Not that there is anything wrong with that style, but I figured this site was heavily MMA oriented and true BJJ is based on gi-work with a heavy emphasis on ground fighting to the point that most sparring/rolling starts on the knees or back-to-back. I picked 'catch wrestling' which is a name I do not like, but I thought it was closest to the no-gi form of sub wrestling that I most enjoy. In case it conjures up other (WWE-like) images, I'm talking about grappling that starts on the feet and continues on the ground to submission but without the wearing of a uniform.

Of course all of these styles have many moves in common, but I think the point of the question was what type of emphasis do you like to have in your grappling.
The-Don
5/14/08 7:11:23PM

Posted by fullerene

I'm surprised so many people are picking BJJ. Not that there is anything wrong with that style, but I figured this site was heavily MMA oriented and true BJJ is based on gi-work with a heavy emphasis on ground fighting to the point that most sparring/rolling starts on the knees or back-to-back. I picked 'catch wrestling' which is a name I do not like, but I thought it was closest to the no-gi form of sub wrestling that I most enjoy. In case it conjures up other (WWE-like) images, I'm talking about grappling that starts on the feet and continues on the ground to submission but without the wearing of a uniform.

Of course all of these styles have many moves in common, but I think the point of the question was what type of emphasis do you like to have in your grappling.

There is a reason they all have alot of moves in common most of them are derived from both Judo and Tradational Jujitsu.. BJJ is a modified version of JJ... Sambo is a mix of wrestling and Jujitsu with striking arts mixed in... most wrestling styles can trace thier roots back to Pankration which comes from ancient greece which many belive is one of the oldest martial arts in existence and eventually is what made its way to asia but the emphasis moved away from the wrestling aspect to the striking which seemed to natually favor the lightyer and smaller frames of the asian people.

Now thats somethng to chew on
bigbubbano23
5/18/08 9:29:20PM
for me it use to be jiu jitsu but now that i have started judo iam kinda turning towards judo a little more. i like the amount of throws and quick sub's
Omega
5/19/08 10:20:47PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I just like grappling. I don't have a favorite style, just grappling. I try to mix in everything (like you should).

What he said. Except with a middle finger.
hodge
6/3/08 6:30:30PM
they are mostly the same exept for greco, they mostly use the same techniques. I know you BJJ nuthuggers are gonna moan about that statement but its true.
The-Don
6/8/08 12:29:23PM

Posted by hodge

they are mostly the same exept for greco, they mostly use the same techniques. I know you BJJ nuthuggers are gonna moan about that statement but its true.

I agree with that.. I think the main differences between most of the styles is the though process behind them.. Some are taught in a more agressive manor.. others teach to be patient and wait out your oppoenent.. but in essence alot fo the skills are basicly the same..