Favorite MMA Camp?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Favorite MMA Camp?
POLL: Favorite camp?
Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy 15% (4)
American Kickboxing Academy 27% (7)
Black House 12% (3)
Jackson's Submission Fighting 12% (3)
Xtreme Couture 4% (1)
Other (Please specify in the comments) 31% (8)
FastKnockout
10/20/11 9:47:35PM
Simple question. (Don't forget some fighters train at more then one camp.)

Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy
-Nick Diaz
-Jake Shields
-Gilbert Melendez
-Nate Diaz

American Kickboxing Academy
-Cain Valesquez
-Jon Fitch
-Josh Koscheck
-Mike Swick
- Daniel Cormier
-Josh Thomson
-Cung Le
-Herchel Walker

Black House/Team Nogueira
-Anderson Silva
-Jose Aldo
-Lyoto Machida
-Junior dos Santos
-Big Nog
-Little Nog
-Rafael Cavalcante
-Diego Nunes

Jackson's Submission Fighting
-George St. Pierre
-Jon Jones
-Melvin Guillard
-Shane Carwin
-Clay Guida
-Carlos Condit
-Brian Stann
-Donald Cerrone

Xtreme Couture
-Randy Couture
-Forrest Griffin
-Stephan Bonnar
-Martin Kampmann
-Gray Maynard
-Sam Stout
-Amir Sodallah
-Phil Baroni

Other
-Wolfslair MMA Academy (Michael Bisping, Quinton Jackson)
-American Top Team (Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva)
-Alliance MMA (Dominick Cruz, Phil Davis)
-Team Rough House (Dan Hardy, Paul Daley)
-Duke Roufus Academy (Alan Belcher, Pat Barry)
-Team Alpha Male (Urijah Faber/Chad Mendes)
-The Pit (Chuck Liddell, Court McGee)
-Etc, etc..
Budgellism
10/20/11 10:33:31PM
Blackhouse and AKA were pretty close for me but ultimately I went AKA. The coaches there are just too hard to compete with. I think AKA will produce a lot of future beasts.
KungFuMaster
10/20/11 10:44:29PM

Posted by Budgellism

Blackhouse and AKA were pretty close for me but ultimately I went AKA. The coaches there are just too hard to compete with. I think AKA will produce a lot of future beasts.

I don't think it's the coaches alone. I think it's the overall atmosphere. The standard has been set very high by fighters like Cain. It is not so much the talent but rather the work ethics which separates AKA from others IMO. When you have a fighter like Cain who pushes himself to the extreme, the rest of the trainers and trainees will tend to follow suit. And I agree, AKA will more than likely produce many great fighters to come.
Twenty20Dollars
10/20/11 10:55:11PM
I voted AKA.

I really can't stand Greg Jackson anymore.
prophecy033
10/20/11 11:30:14PM
For me it would be between AKA and Greg Jackson. Although I like Jacksons team, I find him a bit pompous. Great coach tho that gives good direction between rounds. Some of the older camps I was a fan of were Chute Boxe, MFS, and Team Quest. All 3 have fallen off but they produced some legands of the sport
SpiderSilva
10/20/11 11:39:10PM
whats it called fat boy and mowhawk? the one with dan hardy and roy nelson
Chael_Sonnen
10/21/11 12:16:43AM
Anything in Oregon

"I don't do training camps, I think training camps are for kids. I don't sleep in a tent and I don't eat marshmellows. I train all the time.

I consider myself a martial artist because I don't train only because I have a fight, I train because its a lifestyle for me. I like to do it. I like to wake up in the morning and I train everyday.

My philosophy in life is when I go to bed at night I know I'm a better martial artist than when I woke up in the morning. So everyday - I need to improve everyday."
FastKnockout
10/21/11 12:24:07AM
I agree with most of you. AKA is full of talent, in the coaches and fighters. Not only the full time members, either. They've had some of the best in the world visit the camp for selective training.

Frank Shamrock (Until they made him leave)
B.J Penn
Andrei Arlovski
Phil Davis
Takanori Gomi
Anthony Johnson
Bobby Lashley
Lyoto Machida
Sean Sherk
Jake Shields
G-Sot
Ronaldo Souza
Brandon Vera

EDIT: Oh, wow. Just found the whole roster.

Phil Baroni
Daniel Cormier
Richard Crunkilton
Kelly Dullanty
Mark Ellis
Billy Evangelista
Jon Fitch
Kyle Kingsbury
Josh Koscheck
Mike Kyle
Muhammed Lawal
Cung Le
Nate Moore
Wayne Phillips
Trevor Prangley
Luke Rockhold
Bobby Southworth
Mike Swick
Josh Thomson
Cain Velasquez
Herschel Walker
Christian Wellisch
Justin Wilcox
Marius ┼Żaromskis
Reese Brown
Davin Clark
Ron Keslar
Jeremy Anderson
Dave Velasquez
Pat Minihan
Josh Ferrari
Eric Duus
Nathan James
FastKnockout
10/21/11 12:25:16AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

whats it called fat boy and mowhawk? the one with dan hardy and roy nelson

It's still Rough House. Forgot Nelson moved over there. lol
emfleek
10/21/11 8:20:43AM
AKA and Roufusport
Theoutlaw08
10/21/11 9:56:12AM
ROUGHHOUSE
Gotta go with Dan Hardy's camp
And Roufus Sport...Milwaukee.
jiujitsufreak74
10/21/11 10:27:17AM
Thank god the last two posts mentioned Roufusport. i have to say right now roufus sport is my favorite camp because A) i really like how Duke Roufus approaches MMA and believe he trains his guys well B) The amount of quality young talent in this camp is a sign of great things to come and C) the majority of their fighters have exciting fights and a well-rounded game
kingsmasher
10/21/11 10:46:12AM
Man you forgot the elite Wolfslair with Bisping and Rampage...lmao
cowcatcher
10/21/11 10:58:25AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Thank god the last two posts mentioned Roufusport. i have to say right now roufus sport is my favorite camp because A) i really like how Duke Roufus approaches MMA and believe he trains his guys well B) The amount of quality young talent in this camp is a sign of great things to come and C) the majority of their fighters have exciting fights and a well-rounded game

This.
pmoney
10/21/11 3:55:02PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Roufus Sport really is a great camp. They have Matt Mitrione, Eric Koch, Alan Belcher, Pat Barry... I've never seen any of those guys in a boring fight. In fact, save for Pat Barry, 9 times out of 10 I see those guys winning.

The same could be said about Team Cesar Gracie though! Those dudes win. Nick and Nate Diaz have never been in a boring fight. El Nino is a beast, and usually very exciting. Shields is a master at his craft as well. If only they could get Chael to hold it down there full time and be the wrestling coach!
Poor_Franklin
10/21/11 4:10:52PM
honestly don't have a fav camp.
armbar66j7
10/21/11 4:30:06PM
my top 2 would be team sityotong in boston, ive never gotten the chance to train in there, but i have been in the reality self defense gym once and joe lauzon is actually really aggresive, dude eat shits and sleeps mma, they go hard in there.

but im also a huge fan of the miletich fighting system as well, and obviously carry that over to the hit squad, which is now finneys hit squad
FastKnockout
10/21/11 8:41:13PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Man you forgot the elite Wolfslair with Bisping and Rampage...lmao

Wolfslair is the first camp I added to the list under "other."
FastKnockout
10/21/11 8:45:30PM
Oh, and just to let everyone know, I read ALL replies. Whenever I make a thread like this, I don't always reply, but I make sure to read everyone's opinions, and try to prop if able. If I don't reply to your comment, don't think I'm ignoring you or don't like you.
jiujitsufreak74
10/22/11 5:30:23PM

Posted by pmoney

Roufus Sport really is a great camp. They have Matt Mitrione, Eric Koch, Alan Belcher, Pat Barry... I've never seen any of those guys in a boring fight. In fact, save for Pat Barry, 9 times out of 10 I see those guys winning.

The same could be said about Team Cesar Gracie though! Those dudes win. Nick and Nate Diaz have never been in a boring fight. El Nino is a beast, and usually very exciting. Shields is a master at his craft as well. If only they could get Chael to hold it down there full time and be the wrestling coach!

Cesar Gracie's camp is in fact very stacked and their fighters are definitely exciting. if they got Chael to train there full time they would definitely be in my top two.
Geoffo
10/24/11 8:59:35PM
Tristar is underrated.

-Gsp
-Kenny florian
-John Makdessi
-Rory Macdonald