stats alone Jerry Rice
Talent Randy Moss(wasted talent)
Buttertincup
1/31/08 2:50:00AM
Jerry Rice and Randy Moss
Playground_Samurai
1/31/08 2:54:40AM
My personal favorites:

First of all, honorable Mention: Ronnie Lott (Hardest hitting defensiveman ever, guy cut off part of a finger so he could play!)
10. Jack Lambert (no teeth, ugly mofo, led steelers in tack. every year from 74-83)
9. Jim Thorpe (only guy I've heard of to be great at every position, def. or off.)
8. Johnny Unitas (9th round pick, cut before one preseason pass, turned out to be one of the best eva)
7. Gale Sayers (had amazing career before it was cut short by injuries)
6. Jim Brown (9 seasons, never missed a game. 3 m.v.p.'s. jail, UFC commentary)
5. Dan Marino (6th qb taken in '83 draft, g.qb.o.a.t. IMO)
4. Hines Ward (guys always smiling, no matter what)
3. Pat Tillman (amazing human being)
2. Ben Roethlisberger (hometown boy)
1. Barry Sanders (g.o.a.t.)
hippysmacker
1/31/08 3:04:23AM
favorite and greatest are different for me. Generally peoples favorites are on their favorite team.I 'll go with greatest 25. Left off guys who had injury shortened careers like Butkis, Sayers, and Irvin on purpose. It's really impossible to say who was the one greatest player ever. You have to take into account eras, schemes, rule changes and other stuff. The reason I picked Rice first is no other player dominated his individual position the way he has, except maybe Jim Brown. Just my opinion of course.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Payton
4. Chuck Bednarik
5. Joe Montana
6. Bruce Mathews
7. Randy White
8. Lawrence Taylor
9. Reggie White
10. Tom Brady
11. Don Hutson
12. Brett Favre
13. Mike Ditka
14. Jhonny Unitas
15. Deacon Jones
16. Bob Lilly
17. Otto Graham
18. John Hannah
19. Marion Motley
20. Joe Greene
21. Dick Lane
22. Deion sanders
23. Emmit Smith
24. Roger Staubach
25. tie Larry Allen & Ronnie Lott
Playground_Samurai
1/31/08 3:09:43AM

Posted by hippysmacker

favorite and greatest are different for me. Generally peoples favorites are on their favorite team.I 'll go with greatest 25. Left off guys who had injury shortened careers like Butkis, Sayers, and Irvin on purpose. It's really impossible to say who was the one greatest player ever. You have to take into account eras, schemes, rule changes and other stuff. The reason I picked Rice first is no other player dominated his individual position the way he has, except maybe Jim Brown. Just my opinion of course.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Payton
4. Chuck Bednarik
5. Joe Montana
6. Bruce Mathews
7. Randy White
8. Lawrence Taylor
9. Reggie White
10. Tom Brady
11. Don Hutson
12. Brett Favre
13. Mike Ditka
14. Jhonny Unitas
15. Deacon Jones
16. Bob Lilly
17. Otto Graham
18. John Hannah
19. Marion Motley
20. Joe Greene
21. Dick Lane
22. Deion sanders
23. Emmit Smith
24. Roger Staubach
25. tie Larry Allen & Ronnie Lott

Wow! No Barry Sanders? Is it the shortened career thing you mentioned? He played 10 seasons, but you have Jim Brown on there who only played 9 seasons.
cowcatcher
1/31/08 11:12:23AM

Posted by rameydl8

favorites:
1.Brett Favre
2.Reggie White
3.A.J. Hawk
4.Kabeer baja-biamilia
5.Al Harris
6.Aaron Kampmann
7.Donald Driver
8.Ryan Grant
9.Brady Poppinga
10.Atari Bigby

Basically----THE PACKERS

good man, heres mine:

1 favre
2 reggie white
3 marino
4 sanders(never seen anything like him)
5 sterling sharpe
6 mark murphy(former packers safety, looked like the singer from midnight oil)
7 chuck cecil
8 danny white
9 junior seau
10 derrick thomas

those are the guys i saw play extensively, but guys like jim brown, gayle sayers, jack lambert, ed jones, dan fouts, anthony munoz, icky woods(for a couple years as a youngster he was fun to watch), mark duper, jerry rice, joe montana, ronnie lott, and dozens of others are also up there. many i got to see a lot of, some were before my time(brown, sayers) but seeing them on film makes me feel like i missed out.
JWils
1/31/08 11:41:16AM
This list is just my favorites of the guys that I have seen play:

1) Marshall Faulk
2) Barry Sanders
3) Lawerence Taylor
4) Joe Montana
5) Ronnie Lott
6) Derrick Thomas
7) Christian Okoye
8) Reggie White
9) Deion Sanders
10) Kurt Warner
hippysmacker
1/31/08 6:40:35PM
Wow! No Barry Sanders? Is it the shortened career thing you mentioned? He played 10 seasons, but you have Jim Brown on there who only played 9 seasons.

No I would put him in the top 50 though. He might have been the most exciting player period I ever saw though. Too me his inability to run near the goal line, and less than stellar hands hamper his greatness. I don't see him as a complete back. I would rank E. Dickerson, Tomlinson, OJ, , M. Faulk, F, Harris, and M. Allen ahead of him also. The 4 RB's I put on my list( Brown, Payton, Emmit, and Motley) were all more complete backs IMO. So even though I am aware many would disagree with me I rank Barry 10th all-time among Rb's and somewhere in the late 40's among players in general.
murphy_16
1/31/08 6:44:18PM
best are the sanders bro's, T.O, peyton Manning and randy moss
iwannabesedated
1/31/08 6:53:37PM
10.)Mean Joe Greene
9.)Brett Favre
8.)Barry Sanders
7.)Casey Hampton
6.)Ben Roethlisberger
5.)Willie Parker
4.)Mel Blount
3.)Jack Lambert
2.)Hines Ward
1.) Troy Polamalu..
murphy_16
1/31/08 7:00:14PM
willie parker is shit like i said TERELL OWENS IS THE BEST
iwannabesedated
1/31/08 7:15:59PM

Posted by murphy_16

willie parker is shit like i said TERELL OWENS IS THE BEST

TO isn't the best

Torry Holt
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
i think their all better than TO

I think Hines Ward is one of the most complete receivers in the game...He may not have these guys size and speed...But he blocks runs great routes and gives his best all the time...He never lets his EGO get in the way like your boy TO...and why you Compare Parker to TO....they play two different positions..

And who are the Sanders Bros you speak,

Deion and Barry arent Brothers...
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/31/08 7:41:31PM
TO
roger
1/31/08 10:13:16PM
Barry Sanders was the best running back ever to play in the NFL!!!
Gipper
2/1/08 2:01:24AM
the gunslinger- Brett Favre
fightdavejordan
2/8/08 9:01:35AM
Brett Favre
the mannings
t.o
troy smith
roger
2/9/08 12:07:21AM
i hate TO he lost my respect when he when to the cowboys and he his old team and lost and his reason for losing was thay did not throw the ball to me enough FAGGOT
BAGFACE
3/7/08 12:14:53PM
Comin' through with the late response but that's ok cus' I said so eh?.....

I'm not gonna do a list here I just wanted to comment on a couple things....

1. Why is John Elway missing from all of these lists? If you all can mention Brett Favre so freely then you surely can include Elway since their games were not much different AND Elway has more rings...not trying to put Favre down at all just using him as a bar to measure another great.

2. The arguement over Barry Sanders is simple to me and I'm sure my opinion will upset some of the "Old School" football heads but here goes...
Jim Brown is constantly regarded as one of the greats if not the greatest back ever but...he played in an era when defenders were slower and smaller and bullied alot of them. Barry Sanders played in a faster, bigger era and he pretty much gained the majority of his yards with no help from anything resembling an offensive line or a defensive anything to get him the ball more. So if you Jim Brown can be the greatest then Barry Sanders should also be recognized in this same breath.

3. I'm a Steelers fan and alot of my favorite players are Steelers and also alot of the "greatest" players were Steelers however...I will be totally objective here just to make a point...all the players that make it into the NFL have the talent to be great...one of the biggest difference becomes their surroundings. I feel that some players legacies are inflated slightly due to the teams that were with them and in part carried them higher...a good example of this and just some food for thought...Joe Montana and Steve Young both can be considered great but why is it that Montana is more widely to be considered one of the greats when the virtually played with the exact same team and both reached the pinnacle of what an NFL quarterback can reach. Anyways...I'm just saying please take all of these variables into consideration when picking the greats...If Terry Bradshaw had played for Tampa Bay he would have been nowhere!!!....i love lamp.
hippysmacker
3/7/08 1:00:37PM

Posted by BAGFACE

Comin' through with the late response but that's ok cus' I said so eh?.....

I'm not gonna do a list here I just wanted to comment on a couple things....

1. Why is John Elway missing from all of these lists? If you all can mention Brett Favre so freely then you surely can include Elway since their games were not much different AND Elway has more rings...not trying to put Favre down at all just using him as a bar to measure another great.

2. The arguement over Barry Sanders is simple to me and I'm sure my opinion will upset some of the "Old School" football heads but here goes...
Jim Brown is constantly regarded as one of the greats if not the greatest back ever but...he played in an era when defenders were slower and smaller and bullied alot of them. Barry Sanders played in a faster, bigger era and he pretty much gained the majority of his yards with no help from anything resembling an offensive line or a defensive anything to get him the ball more. So if you Jim Brown can be the greatest then Barry Sanders should also be recognized in this same breath.

3. I'm a Steelers fan and alot of my favorite players are Steelers and also alot of the "greatest" players were Steelers however...I will be totally objective here just to make a point...all the players that make it into the NFL have the talent to be great...one of the biggest difference becomes their surroundings. I feel that some players legacies are inflated slightly due to the teams that were with them and in part carried them higher...a good example of this and just some food for thought...Joe Montana and Steve Young both can be considered great but why is it that Montana is more widely to be considered one of the greats when the virtually played with the exact same team and both reached the pinnacle of what an NFL quarterback can reach. Anyways...I'm just saying please take all of these variables into consideration when picking the greats...If Terry Bradshaw had played for Tampa Bay he would have been nowhere!!!....i love lamp.

Your opinion about Barry sanders doesn't upset this " old schol football head" . I just5 happen to disagree. To me Barry isone of the 50 greatest NFL players, and the most exciting plaer I ever saw. If you read my post whee I gave my reasons ,for not thinking him as high up as some, then I only have 2 things to add. Barrys O-line was one of the best of it's tiome IMO. Was it as great as the Dallas line? No, but he had 3 stud pro bowlers

For Barry. Lomas Brown( left and right tackle) made the pro bowl 7 straight years blocking for Sanders, and is a first ballot hall of famer .Kevin Glover was also a perennial pro bowl center and started 3 straight over ( Dallas Center) Mark Stepnowski. Ray Roberts was practically the same guy as Mark Tuenei. Solid . Good not great, needing help against top pass rushers. Jeff Hartings was one of the one of the best guards in football ,and has made the pro bowl as a guard and center. They had a lot of other guys rotating through at 1 spot or another, but none stood out. . Imo Barry had one of the 5 beat O-lines of his era, and why incredibly exciting, was not even the best of his time. The one other thing I forgot to add about his not being a complete player was his subpar blocking. Payton , Emmitg, Brown, Allen, and a lot more backs I rate higher were compltee players. Barry was not IMO .