Favorite Director/Actor

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Favorite Director/Actor
UFC_Fanatic
11/27/12 1:39:10AM
I've been watching a ton of movies lately, and, while I'm sure we've got a thread like this burried somewhere here, I've never actually seen one, so I figured I'd do one myself. I'm wondering what everybody's thoughts are on their favorite director and favorite actor and why they picked them.

I'd have to say my favorite director is probably Martin Scorsese. I love his films, and I'm currently in the process of trying to own all of them. It seems like everything he touches turns to gold, or at least for me it does. He directs brilliantly and I think he brings out the best in the actors he works with. The first movie of his that I watched was The Departed and I fell in love with it, and since then I've watched Shutter Island, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas to name a few, and I can't get enough of his movies.

honorable mentions: Robert Rodriguez, Joss Whedon, Kevin Smith and Guy Ritchie for Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Rock n' Rolla. Can't wait for Real Rock n' Rolla.

I'd have to say my favorite actor is Anthony Hopkins. The guy is brilliant in everything he is in. Even if the movie is shit, his performance is always great. The first movie of his that I watched was Silence of the Lambs, followed by Hannibal and then Red Dragon. I loved his portrayal of Hannibal and how well he sold himself to be that character. I then watche him in Fracture, which again cast him in a similar role as playing hannibal, and with the same result. I consider him to be the best actor alive.

Honorable Mentions: Ryan Reynolds, Leonardo Di Caprio, Mark Wahlberg, Justin Timberlake (I think we can all probably agree his acting is MUCH better than his music), Clint Eastwood, and Ben Affleck.
george112
11/27/12 1:53:03AM
You nailed it on the head for the director
Love Scorsese

My favorite actor is Denzel Washington. He's just a damn good actor. Just about every movie he is in he does an amazing job and I always end up loving them
frizzzlecake
11/27/12 2:24:07AM
Director- George Lucas.. I love Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Also Helped Create Pixar. Man he's rich.

Actor: Woody Harrleson/Tom Hardy/Ryan Reynolds/Harrison Ford/Denzel/ Will Ferrell/Jason Segel/Russell Brand/Adam Sandler/Kevin James/Micheal Fassbender /Brad Pitt/Ben Afflack

Actress Natalie Portman/ Scarlett Johansson's/Emma Stone/Mila Kunis

Narrator: Morgan Freeman

Edit: Forgot Robet De Niro and Al Pacino
TeamDEY
11/27/12 2:41:43AM
Director: Christopher Nolan. Nolan may not be the best director but he is the most brilliant in my eyes. Memento, The Prestige, Inception and The Dark Knight Trilogy are some of the best movies with the best stories I have ever seen. What Nolan does with his films is simply brilliant. Everyone should see his first big film called Following, it's excellent as well.

Honorable Mentions: Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Neill Blomkamp, David Fincher, Ben Affleck

Actor: Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, George Clooney, Leonardo Dicaprio, Tom Hardy, Christopher Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Honestly there are to many great actors out there. I don't really have a favorite. Anyone of the actors above, I always love to see their movies.

Actress: Jessica Chastain, Rooney Mara, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman. Again so many great actresses out there its hard to pick one.
cowcatcher
11/27/12 3:24:53AM
Director is tough, the script and content have so much to do with it, but guys like Spielberg, Scorsese, etc. consistently turn out great films.

Actor is a little easier. I love Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jr., Will Ferrell, Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen, Jeff Bridges, Samuel Jackson, and a ton of others. Even actors I don't really care for like Kevin Costner have made great movies like Field of Dreams that I can't help but get emotional watching, and the job he does in the role is a big part of it.

Actress is a bit tougher because looks have a ton to do with it. I can't really say I'm a Glenn Close or Meryl Streep fan even though they are critically renowned. I like Alyssa Milano, Megan Fox, and Jessica Biel to look at on screen, and Sarah Silverman, and Leslie Mann are just hilarious along with being hot.
UFC_Fanatic
11/27/12 4:29:41AM

Posted by george112

You nailed it on the head for the director
Love Scorsese

My favorite actor is Denzel Washington. He's just a damn good actor. Just about every movie he is in he does an amazing job and I always end up loving them

God, I can't believe I forgot to put Denzel in my honorable mentions. Denzel is a brilliant actor. Loved him in Safehouse with Ryan Reynolds.

Someone else also mention Affleck as a director and I can't believe I forgot about him too, especially considering I recently watched Argo. He is a great director. I loved the town and argo. I'm working on trying to get my hands on the other movies he's directed.
hotrodttt
11/27/12 5:27:43AM
Michael C Hall is probably my favorite actor, that's saying a lot since he only has one role
FastKnockout
11/27/12 7:13:15AM
Director: Todd Phillips, Steven Spielberg, and Tim Burton.

Actors: Will Smith, Ryan Reynolds, Adam Sandler, Robin Williams, Will Ferrel, Tom Hanks, Robert Downey Jr. and Jackie Chan.
FlashyG
11/27/12 8:08:44AM
Director - David Fincher and David Simon

Actor - Denzel Washington, Edward Norton, Andre Royo

Actress - Charlize Theron, Keira Knightley, Kate Winslet
40ouncetofreedom
11/27/12 8:29:33AM
Don't really have a director...

Actors-Johnny Depp,Benicio Del Toro,Ed Norton and Brad Pitt.

Tom Hanks.......I mean Castaway for fucks sake it's him a damn beachball for what feels like 6hours and you still watch it.

scoozna
11/27/12 9:34:09AM
Director: Luc Besson
Actor: De Niro, Pacino, Hoffman
Honorable Mentions: Jack Nicholson, Buscemi, Hanks, Gerard Butler, Ed Norton, Michael Douglass

Actors I hate to love: Clooney, Pitt, Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe
SpiderSilva
11/27/12 9:50:23AM
Director- Robert Rodreguez

Actor-Gerard Butler
kingsmasher
11/27/12 9:59:33AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Michael C Hall is probably my favorite actor, that's saying a lot since he only has one role

Michael C Hall was one of the main characters on a HBO series called 6 feet Under...

The show was very dark but very good but you had to have a real love for characters and writing...

On the show he was a gay male and a coupe of scenes were him getting drilled by his bf....pretty disturbing....Sometimes you can be type cast or people have a hard time erasing past characters they have played...I think thats why I never took Dexter serious...
FlashyG
11/27/12 10:33:10AM

Posted by kingsmasher

On the show he was a gay male and a coupe of scenes were him getting drilled by his bf....pretty disturbing....Sometimes you can be type cast or people have a hard time erasing past characters they have played...I think thats why I never took Dexter serious...

Its funny how depicting gay sex is considered "disturbing" yet nobody finds him playing a character who has killed over 65 people equally disturbing.
airkerma
11/27/12 10:40:51AM
Actor: Leo.
ChrisSabal
11/27/12 10:48:05AM
Director: Christopher Nolan

Actor: Tom Hardy

HM: Leo, Bale, JGL, Willis, Hanks, Pitt, Eisenberg, Harraelson, Rudd, Norton(sure there is more I can't think of)
BuffaloDave
11/27/12 10:49:41AM
Director - Scorsese and Fincher

Honorable Mentions - Tony and Ridley Scott, Eastwood, and Nolan.

I don't just have 1 favorite actor, I enjoy movies to much to narrow it down to one. So I'll do a top 5, Depp, Sam Jackson, Di Caprio, Pacino, and Bobby de Niro

Honorable Mentions - Mel Gibson (might be bat shit crazy, but still a god actor), Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Will Farrell, 80's Eddie Murphy, and the one they call Brando.

**EDIT** Switching it to top 6, I forgot completely about Tom Hanks
sparky
11/27/12 11:26:00AM
Director: Scorsese

Actor: DeNiro, Denzel, Leo and Depp
scoozna
11/27/12 11:45:00AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by kingsmasher

Its funny how depicting gay sex is considered "disturbing" yet nobody finds him playing a character who has killed over 65 people equally disturbing.

I suppose there are still some things to which we are not desensitized.
kingsmasher
11/27/12 12:41:40PM
Tarantino and Fincher

Daniel Day Lewis, Brad Pittt, Jack Nicholson, Deniro,
DeadHead988
11/27/12 1:41:53PM
Jack Nicholson and Steve motherfuckin' Buscemi
Poor_Franklin
11/27/12 3:12:16PM
i love many actors, but i must say that I would give any movie w/ Leonardo DiCaprio a chance