Pink Floyd 16% (7)
The Eagles 5% (2)
The Beatles 9% (4)
Led Zepplin 35% (15)
Aerosmith 7% (3)
Other(please specify) 28% (12)
Wolfenstein
2/22/09 6:26:54PM
Pearl Jam and Godsmack? Really? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both bands--particularly a big fan of Godsmack--but I think both bands have always stuck to a pretty consistent sound.

It seems whenever a band tries to push the edge now, they get labled as "progressive rock". I think if anyone was setting some new boundaries it was probably Radiohead. "Paranoid Android" I think is one of the most creative and layered songs to come along in quite some time. Unfortunately they've kind of faded away.
zephead
2/22/09 6:39:52PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Pearl Jam and Godsmack? Really? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both bands--particularly a big fan of Godsmack--but I think both bands have always stuck to a pretty consistent sound.

It seems whenever a band tries to push the edge now, they get labled as "progressive rock". I think if anyone was setting some new boundaries it was probably Radiohead. "Paranoid Android" I think is one of the most creative and layered songs to come along in quite some time. Unfortunately they've kind of faded away.

Godsmack has quite a few accustic songs. They have some eastern music influences in their accustic songs. A country feel with honky tonk singing in another. They bring a harmonica in a song. Yes, Godsmack plays a heavy style of music, but they started to branch out. Started to evlove. I hope they keep it up.

As for Pearl Jam, yes they move around stylistically. Yellow Leadbetter is a just a awesome song, with guitar playing that is so unusual is rock. The cover tunes they do. Jeremy's Spoken is a different from Leadbetter as you can get. Get their best of CD, it has about 30 songs on it. You'll see them all over the place
lohmann
2/22/09 6:41:23PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Not really. They're basically every trendy teenager's favorite band anymore and their latest album was released free legally on their website prior to its CD release and still sold a gajillion copies.

Cutting edge isn't something really found in the commercial music industry. It's done by independently produced or self-released artists in the internet age and then eventually ripped off.

Late-era Beatles is quite possibly the greatest stuff ever, Pink Floyd are solid, and Led Zeppelin nearly never did anything poorly.
Wolfenstein
2/22/09 6:50:06PM
I absolutely loved Godsmack's acoustic stuff. Really simple to play, but whatever...I still love to rip keep away on my acoustic with my musician friends.

I'd heard Radiohead had released their album on the internet, but really haven't heard too much buzz on it. I 100% agree that most bands thar are doing something outside of the norm are typically unheralded bands. I think Thrice is the most original band out there myself, but I just didn't mention them because they don't exactly have mainstream name recognition...but I don't think anyone has evolved like Thrice has.
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/22/09 6:55:45PM
I voted for the mighty zep, but Queen also should get an honorable mention as should Van Halen and The Rolling Stones. I do like all of these bands though
StorminYourman
2/22/09 10:39:40PM
No love for the Rolling Stones
Damn
gartface
2/23/09 12:08:44AM
Led Zeppelin
Foreigner
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
CCR
Dire Straits
Pages: 1 [2]