Pink Floyd 16% (7)
The Eagles 5% (2)
The Beatles 9% (4)
Led Zepplin 35% (15)
Aerosmith 7% (3)
Other(please specify) 28% (12)
mkiv9secsupra
2/19/09 9:48:29PM
Due to my wife and i's arguement over the best classic rock band i was curious who the playground voted as the best classic rock band of all time it, so please share.

cmb19932
2/19/09 9:50:02PM
pink floyd was the tits man
mkiv9secsupra
2/19/09 9:54:24PM
ill give my top 10

1. Pink FLoyd
2. The Eagles
3. Foreigner
4. Aerosmith
5. Elton John - call me gay but he was a true artist back in the day
6. Def Leppard
7. Blue Oyster Cult
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. Led Zepplin
10. Queen

Honorable mentions: REO Speedwagon, Steve Miller Band, The Rolling Stones, and Kansas(yes a great band, Dust in the wind is one of my favorite songs ever.)
breakdown5
2/19/09 10:16:06PM
I voted for Zep, but they are all great bands. But I think out of all those bands, I have more Zep on my ipod, with the beatles a close second.

Floyd is good, but totally awesome in an altered state.
postman
2/19/09 10:16:24PM
Zepplin is unmatched in classic rock. If you ask most they have them top 5 in music in general. I'm not even a fan but its pretty obvious there following is outragous.

I wouldn't really put the Beatles in with this group. Why not Elvis or Buddy Holly. Its all subject of opoinion I guess
mkiv9secsupra
2/19/09 10:28:25PM

Posted by postman

Zepplin is unmatched in classic rock. If you ask most they have them top 5 in music in general. I'm not even a fan but its pretty obvious there following is outragous.

I wouldn't really put the Beatles in with this group. Why not Elvis or Buddy Holly. Its all subject of opoinion I guess

Well based on record sales the Beatles are the front runners while Zep has the most played RADIO song ever. Its all based on oppinion and there is no real definitive way to tell who the best was, simply an oppinion based on votes is the most effective way to determine a winner.
bojangalz
2/19/09 10:32:54PM
Aerosmith...hands down. I know the basic argument to why they shouldn't get a vote is because everything they've done since Get a Grip has been garbage. That is in fact not true at all. If you guys want a dose of truely gritty and bluesy classic rock then you owe it to yourself to check out Honkin' on Bobo. Damnit that's a great album.

They've also been more relavent since their inception than every other band on your list combined. They're back in the studio now, and you can bank on yet another tour this fall. They just never stop. (I'll admit, I'm a bit of a fanboy)

If you're not leaning toward Aerosmith, then Zeppelin is the only other band here who fits. Their longevity isn't in the number of new albums, or tours. It's in the diversity of their music, their legendary R'n'R debatchery on tour, and the fact that they came to such an abrupt stop with the death of John Bonham. You honestly can't find a bad thing to say about Zeppelin. Those guy are, and always will be the sh*t.

As for the rest of your list-

The Beatles were a glorafied pop band.

Floyd's music doesn't transend the musical landscape. Their a bit too much of a niche band to be considered #1.

The Eagles were great, but their they don't exactly embody the spirit of Rock n Roll, and for as long as they've been around their musical catalog is pretty damn small. I'm not going to do the research, but I'd be willing to bet that they have less then 5 studio albums with 100% new material. Most of their albums contained tracks which were released on previous albums, etc. And I can say in all certainty that they've got more greatest hits compilations then they do studio albums. Their just a little too complacent to make the #1 spot.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably rank the top 10 or so like this:

Aerosmith
Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
Jimi Hendrix (Experience/Band of Gypsies/Solo/take your pick)
AC/DC
CCR
The Eagles
The Doors
The Who

bojangalz
2/19/09 10:36:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

ill give my top 10

1. Pink FLoyd
2. The Eagles
3. Foreigner
4. Aerosmith
6. Def Leppard
7. Blue Oyster Cult
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. Led Zepplin
10. Queen

Honorable mentions: REO Speedwagon, Steve Miller Band, The Rolling Stones, and Kansas(yes a great band, Dust in the wind is one of my favorite songs ever.)

I just can't get on board the whole REO/Foreigner/STYX/Kansas/Journey bandwagan. Question to the panel...Have you ever seen them all in a room at the same time???

It seams to me that those are the kind of bands that you almost need to grow up on to enjoy. (not everyone mind you, but in general.) I'd say they draw very close comparisions to the the Hinder/Nickelback bands of today. That is to say- there music is easy to listen to, but it's nothing earth-shattering. And at the end of the day those bands come and go and the only people who notice are the ones who got laid to their big single.
Jackelope
2/19/09 10:38:05PM
Led Zeppelin- no question about it. Who gets more radio play still today? The Beatles, or Led Zeppelin? That's the only question you need to ask yourself since the obvious debate is between those two bands. I'm having difficulty understanding why Rolling Stones wasn't on the list, but meh... no one else needs to be besides Led Zeppelin, anyway.

Also, I'm not trying to take anything away from these other bands by saying that. To me it's just blatantly obvious. I hate the Beatles, but I can understand why they're ranked as high as they always are. They revolutionized music in a lot of ways, and they are at the front of any social commentary from their time.

Pink Floyd is also great. The others on the list- well.. I'm not sure they belong in a conversation with Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, and Pink Floyd.

Wolfenstein
2/19/09 10:50:13PM
1-Bad Company
2-Pink Floyd/David Gilmour
3-The Beatles
4-Led Zeppelin
5-The Rolling Stones
6-Creedence Clearwater Revival
7-Lynyrd Skynyrd (I read an article that their name is misspelled on the new guitar hero box)
8-Grand Funk Railroad
9-The Doors
10-Black Sabbath
Twenty20Dollars
2/19/09 10:57:11PM
I voted for the smith......idk
urbman
2/20/09 12:16:23AM

Posted by bojangalz

Aerosmith...hands down. I know the basic argument to why they shouldn't get a vote is because everything they've done since Get a Grip has been garbage. That is in fact not true at all. If you guys want a dose of truely gritty and bluesy classic rock then you owe it to yourself to check out Honkin' on Bobo. Damnit that's a great album.

They've also been more relavent since their inception than every other band on your list combined. They're back in the studio now, and you can bank on yet another tour this fall. They just never stop. (I'll admit, I'm a bit of a fanboy)

If you're not leaning toward Aerosmith, then Zeppelin is the only other band here who fits. Their longevity isn't in the number of new albums, or tours. It's in the diversity of their music, their legendary R'n'R debatchery on tour, and the fact that they came to such an abrupt stop with the death of John Bonham. You honestly can't find a bad thing to say about Zeppelin. Those guy are, and always will be the sh*t.

As for the rest of your list-

The Beatles were a glorafied pop band.

Floyd's music doesn't transend the musical landscape. Their a bit too much of a niche band to be considered #1.

The Eagles were great, but their they don't exactly embody the spirit of Rock n Roll, and for as long as they've been around their musical catalog is pretty damn small. I'm not going to do the research, but I'd be willing to bet that they have less then 5 studio albums with 100% new material. Most of their albums contained tracks which were released on previous albums, etc. And I can say in all certainty that they've got more greatest hits compilations then they do studio albums. Their just a little too complacent to make the #1 spot.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably rank the top 10 or so like this:

Aerosmith
Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
Jimi Hendrix (Experience/Band of Gypsies/Solo/take your pick)
AC/DC
CCR
The Eagles
The Doors
The Who

You've listed some awesome bands here,but for me,I've got to go with AC DC and Black Sabbath as my favorites here with some honorable mentions to aerosmith,zeppelin the eagles and skynyrd too,and I've seen all these bands live except zeppelin and the eagles, so i'm not just basing my opinions on songs heard on the radio.
haggiswashere
2/20/09 4:09:06AM
On that list probably Led but ACDC is the best IMO
SpiderSilva
2/20/09 8:25:29AM
I was thinking AC/DC
emfleek
2/20/09 9:16:05AM
I've never understood the nuthugging that surrounds The Doors. One of the most over-rated bands, in my opinion.

Of course, 90% of the bands listed here suck, in my opinion, too.

My list, in no particular order, would be something like this...

The Band
The Beatles
The Allman Brothers
Grateful Dead
The Who
Cream
ZZ Top
Traffic
The Police
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Wolfenstein
2/20/09 2:21:38PM

Posted by emfleek

I've never understood the nuthugging that surrounds The Doors. One of the most over-rated bands, in my opinion.

You're not the only who thinks so. I'm on the other side of the fence so to speak, but I have had numerous arguments with my friends regarding the Doors.

At the time, no one sounded like the Doors. Their sound was completely original and they were possibly one of the most versatile bands as well. I think Roadhouse Blues may the most commonly covered rock song in history.
zephead
2/20/09 2:58:42PM
Zeppelin without a doubt. The geatest band ever. They played it all, they did it all. Blues (Since I've Been Loving You) Country (Gallows Pole) Bluegrass (Hotdog) Physocdelic Rock (Dazed and Confused) Heavy Metal (Whole Lotta Love). They did accoustic. Zeppelin pushed the limits in rock music. They were not afraid to try something.

Bonhams drumming on When The Levee Breaks is the most sampled drum track in music. P.Diddy used the music to Kashmir in one of his songs and Page played with him on SNL. The Black Crowes and Page toured playing Zep tunes. Plant branches out and does his thing with Allison Kraus. JPJ produced the Foo Fighters and help them get their sound.

What made Zeppelin so good was, each musician was influenced by different music and they incorporated in their own. Bonham was a huge funk and James Brown fan. Page loved the Blues and country. Plant loved the blues and folk. JPJ loved Jazz and classical. As a band, they will never be touched musically.

Today, bands hit on a formula and stick to it. They don't change. They don't evolve. I loved Van Halen when they first came out, but then each album sounded the same. It got old. Sammy comes along, they evolve musically and the fans hated it. Bands weren't afraid to experiment in the 60's and 70's.
mkiv9secsupra
2/20/09 3:27:41PM

Posted by zephead
Today, bands hit on a formula and stick to it. They don't change. They don't evolve. I loved Van Halen when they first came out, but then each album sounded the same. It got old.

Exactly why i dont count ACDC among the greatest bands ever. They have one sound and nothing ever changes. Am i the only one with this oppinion of them? Most overrated band ever imo.
emfleek
2/20/09 3:33:50PM
AC/DC, Van Halen/Hagar, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, Foreigner, Kansas, Styxx, Journey, KISS and about 100 others =
evan9eleven
2/20/09 4:16:54PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

ill give my top 10

1. Pink FLoyd
2. The Eagles
3. Foreigner
4. Aerosmith
6. Def Leppard
7. Blue Oyster Cult
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. Led Zepplin
10. Queen

What has seven arms and sucks?
Jackelope
2/20/09 4:27:14PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by zephead
Today, bands hit on a formula and stick to it. They don't change. They don't evolve. I loved Van Halen when they first came out, but then each album sounded the same. It got old.

Exactly why i dont count ACDC among the greatest bands ever. They have one sound and nothing ever changes. Am i the only one with this oppinion of them? Most overrated band ever imo.

Gotta spread the love, but I definitely agree. I enjoy AC/DC at the right times, but to put them on a list with Led Zeppelin? lol.

As for the doors- I, too feel that they are overrated.

I stand by my original point and say that no band was near as versatile nor important as Led Zep. Zephead illustrated the reasons why quite well. I literally don't even see how an argument can be made for any other band besides MAYBE the Beatles.

evan9eleven
2/20/09 4:32:28PM
and the thing that you can argue against the Beatles is the early years with the bubblegum.
Jackelope
2/20/09 4:50:01PM
Or the fact that they were pop and really one of the first "boy bands" not exactly "Classic rock"
mkiv9secsupra
2/20/09 5:28:36PM

Posted by evan9eleven

Posted by mkiv9secsupra
6. Def Leppard

gotta give ya props for that one....thats funny
DCRage
2/20/09 5:32:22PM
If they can be called classic (they came in during the late 70s & early 80s) Van Halen (my favorite) and of course Twisted (F'n) Sister.
kris_ericson
2/20/09 7:56:41PM

Posted by evan9eleven

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

ill give my top 10

1. Pink FLoyd
2. The Eagles
3. Foreigner
4. Aerosmith
6. Def Leppard
7. Blue Oyster Cult
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. Led Zepplin
10. Queen

i gotta spread the love!!! but damn that was funny
CwB
2/20/09 9:29:55PM
there is so much blasphemy going on in this thread its crazy i dont want to get into a debate

so i will just say this

IMO Led Zep, the Doors, and lynard skynard is some of the best music out there.

There so good Chuck Norris through a round house kick at them and he MISSED!!!

mkiv9secsupra
2/20/09 10:35:38PM

Posted by CwB

There so good Chuck Norris through a round house kick at them and he MISSED!!!

no no his kick was just so fast that the molecules in his leg seperated and moved around everyones heads and just made it look like he missed....
zephead
2/22/09 11:56:21AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by zephead

Gotta spread the love, but I definitely agree. I enjoy AC/DC at the right times, but to put them on a list with Led Zeppelin? lol.

As for the doors- I, too feel that they are overrated.

I stand by my original point and say that no band was near as versatile nor important as Led Zep. Zephead illustrated the reasons why quite well. I literally don't even see how an argument can be made for any other band besides MAYBE the Beatles.

I love AC/DC. But I have to be in the right mood also. AC/DC has one sound and one sound only, straight forward rock-n-roll. They were the classic three chord band, with blues leads. Don't get me wrong, in the right mood, AC/DC kicks ass.

Every Zep tune went somewhere. It started in one place and ended up somewhere else. They pushed the musical boundries. Listen to the chord progression in Ten Years Gone. How Bonhams plays on the other side of the beat in Black Dog. They just pushed and pushed. Took chances and changed the face of Rock-n-Roll. Some have come really close to doing it but then stopped. Two that come to mind, Pearl Jam and Godsmack.

If anyone ever gets a chance, get the Page and Plant DVD, Unledded. They use Egyptian musicians and the England Orchestra. They also are on the streets in Morracco, playing with street musicians.
Aether
2/22/09 5:34:54PM
Queen is better than all of these bands IMO. Led Zeppelin has to be the most popular and well aged all around but just as far as the scope of their music queen pretty much demolishes just about every other band from their time. They have the multi-instrumental and experimental ability of the doors, a guitar player to rival any band of the era and easily the most talented and powerful singer of any rock band in their generation.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece.
Pages: [1] 2