Favorite Books?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Favorite Books?
Next Page »
Dragonscale
2/17/09 9:03:16AM

I'd highly suggest you pick up the new novel, Mr. Build, if you're looking for something wild.

I've also loved Perfume: Story of a Murderer and a few Stephen King books.

You?
SmileR
2/17/09 9:31:45AM
Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson. I just finised reading it for something like the 5 or 6 time. Its a awesome insight into their life as well as a good look back on the 60's.

I know its gay but the Harry Potter books are a secret love of mine too. I'v got them all an when I was in hospital over christmas I read every one of them back to back! They are seriously a good read.

wiggum
2/17/09 9:58:02AM

Posted by SmileR

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson. I just finised reading it for something like the 5 or 6 time. Its a awesome insight into their life as well as a good look back on the 60's.

I know its gay but the Harry Potter books are a secret love of mine too. I'v got them all an when I was in hospital over christmas I read every one of them back to back! They are seriously a good read.

hells angels is awesome.....if you like that then you should check out "electric kool aid acid test" by tom wolfe.....similar type of story and era, good stuff......as far as favorites go, anything tom robbins....guy is awesome, currenty reading "fierce invalids from hot climates"
mrsmiley
2/17/09 10:29:00AM
House of Leaves is probably my favirote.
Followed closely by Jurassic Park.
king_katool
2/17/09 10:32:16AM
ive been reading this series by Vince Flynn about a CIA agent named Mitch Rapp, i just cant put it down and when im done the book im out to the store buying the next one great series for any1
kopower
2/17/09 10:57:25AM

Posted by SmileR

I'm right there with ya SmileR. I liked the Harry Potter movies enough to buy the last two books in the series and loved them. I felt like an idiot in the kids section picking them up and my fiance gave me a bit of crap but it was worth it.

I also like almost every Dean Koontz book he has put out. Check out Life Expectancy or Odd Thomas. Also Stephen King has put out a few books of short stories that are very good.
Jackelope
2/17/09 11:43:29AM
I'm a fan of all kinds of books, but I have a deep love for classic novels

My all time favorite book is "Shogun" by James Clavell

I also really enjoyed "Catcher in the Rye" and "The Hobbit". Right now I'm reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

Some other great books-

The Lost World by Michael Crichton

The Icewind Dale series and the Cleric Quintet from R.A. Salvatore (I like his other books, too, but nothing compares to these two specific series IMO. Although a fair warning- they're "Dungeons and Dragons" books for anyone who hates that stuff. Personally I could care less as long as the books are good)

Terry Brooks' original Shannara series, (Scions, Sword, Elfstones, Wishsong etc.) before he started melding it with The Word and the Void series (Antrax and later)

My War by Colby Buzzell for a pretty realistic look at Iraq from the regular Joe's perspective

Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley (Don't just watch the movie, the book is so much better)

DCRage
2/17/09 11:54:07AM
I mostly do audiobooks now, currently I mostly listen to the works of Scott Sigler (sci-fi/horror) and Seth Harwood (crime stories). My favorite audiobook either of them has done so far is Sigler's "The Rookie", which is like Star Wars meets The Godfather meets the NFL in the 22nd century.
pv3Hpv3p
2/17/09 12:22:24PM

Posted by king_katool

ive been reading this series by Vince Flynn about a CIA agent named Mitch Rapp, i just cant put it down and when im done the book im out to the store buying the next one great series for any1

I just started reading Flynn myself... He's a local Minnesota author, and I kept hearing him on different radio stations, so I thought I'd check him out...

If you enjoy Flynn... Check out Lee Child's Jack Reacher books series... Starts with "Killing Floor"... They're the best I've read since Ludlum...

As for favorite books, I'd probably have to go with the GODFATHER by Mario Puzo... It's just all around great...

I also read these books at least once every five years...

Hitchhiker's Guide
Animal Farm
Bourne Identity
SmileR
2/17/09 12:37:25PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by SmileR

hells angels is awesome.....if you like that then you should check out "electric kool aid acid test" by tom wolfe.....similar type of story and era, good stuff......as far as favorites go, anything tom robbins....guy is awesome, currenty reading "fierce invalids from hot climates"

I'll check that out thanks man!
Also I'd like to throw out "On the road by Jack Kerouac that is a awesome book too!
wiggum
2/17/09 1:22:55PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by wiggum

Posted by SmileR

I'll check that out thanks man!
Also I'd like to throw out "On the road by Jack Kerouac that is a awesome book too!

ill second that motion!
Wolfenstein
2/17/09 2:12:13PM
The Swan Song- by Robert R McCammon, is by far my favorite book, followed closely by Stephen King's the Dark Tower series particularly Wizard and Glass. I guess I just love those apocalyptic books.

A few other top notch books that stick out...

The Hyperion Cantos- by Dan Simmons
The Beach- by Alex Garland
A Darkness at Sethanon- by Raymond Feist
Angels and Demons- by Dan Brown
Snow Crash-by Neal Stephenson

Aaronno9
2/17/09 2:17:04PM
The talented My Ripley series was an awesome read. My favourite books are the Harry Potter series though. Im not even ashamed to admit it, it was ultimate escapism for me when I read them. I like reading auto-bios to.
evan9eleven
2/17/09 2:23:59PM
Rum Diary
loller90278
2/17/09 3:37:05PM
if you like math, and like to read 800 pages +, i HIGHLY recommend picking up "Godel, Escher & Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid"

thats the book i'm currently reading and it's amazing!

for my favorite books i'd go with

1. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
2. A confederacy Of Dunces
3. Necronomicon
evan9eleven
2/17/09 4:45:32PM
My girl bought me the Wu Tang Manual for Valentine's.
EMauricio
2/17/09 5:59:04PM
the alchemist by paulo coelho
the life of pi by yann martel
siddharta by herman hessee
Boo_Radley21
2/17/09 9:11:58PM

Posted by evan9eleven

Lucky bastard haha. I'd definitely wanna read that.
cmb19932
2/17/09 10:12:03PM
a criminal and an irishman-its about some cool irish mob stuff im actually related to the guy who wrote it pat nee its like a autobiography
roadking95th
2/18/09 1:07:17AM

Posted by Jackelope

Right now I'm reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

That is a very good book. I think it should be required reading for all high schools. I worked with a girl who went to Dickinson and she was required to read it. One day she starts talking about it and I told her I read it. She couldn't believe that a 30 something would pick the book up for leisure reading.

I mostly enjoy history. Right now I am reading a book on the US from 1812-1850's. Can't remember the title, but it is only good for an overview. Can't wait to start these three:

What Hath God Wrought, the transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe.

Revolutionary Characters, what made the founders different by Gordon S. Wood.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Mungooch
2/18/09 2:20:56AM
Mick Foleys autobiography
Pookie
2/18/09 2:35:55AM

Posted by evan9eleven

Rum Diary

haha good man
gartface
2/18/09 3:08:13AM
I don't read much, but I'm currently reading Max Brooks' "World War Z." So far so good.
Drudinh
2/18/09 4:59:52AM
There are a variety of books that are awesome. And I have too many that I like to really consider favorites. Currently I'm working through a few of James Patterson's and they are pretty freggin awesome
Jackelope
2/18/09 7:45:37AM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Jackelope

That is a very good book. I think it should be required reading for all high schools. I worked with a girl who went to Dickinson and she was required to read it. One day she starts talking about it and I told her I read it. She couldn't believe that a 30 something would pick the book up for leisure reading.

I mostly enjoy history. Right now I am reading a book on the US from 1812-1850's. Can't remember the title, but it is only good for an overview. Can't wait to start these three:

What Hath God Wrought, the transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe.

Revolutionary Characters, what made the founders different by Gordon S. Wood.

Yeah, so far I really enjoy it. It would be awesome if it was required reading, although I don't like when theory is stated as fact and that's done often in the book. I also read Teddy Roosevelt's bio and of course I've read Atlas Shrugged, too. Although Ayn's books can drag
wiggum
2/18/09 12:17:19PM

Posted by evan9eleven

I read that.....tis' awesome...rza is one crazy genuis
FlashyG
2/18/09 1:05:34PM
One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick was an amazing depiction of the Marines.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/09 10:59:03AM

Posted by gartface

I don't read much, but I'm currently reading Max Brooks' "World War Z." So far so good.

World War Z was excellent, IMO...

I guess Paramount & Brad Pitt's Plan B production company bought the screen rights and is making the movie in the coming future (2010)... Should be good link
loller90278
2/23/09 12:59:55AM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Jackelope

atlas shrugged is next on my list. but man is it daunting. i dont think my head can comprehend all this stuff! i really want to do things most other 20 year olds do: drink, smoke, drugs, etc etc.. but i get sucked into books like atlas shrugged and the eternal golden braid >.<
mrkennedy
2/23/09 7:47:45PM
French book(im french)
any Patrick Senecal Book the guy is so creepy
and any pokerbook im a big fan of poker
Pages: [1] 2