Favorite Books

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Favorite Books
breakdown5
9/13/08 1:55:39PM
I looked through the first few pages of the locker room and didn't see a thread like this, so what's your favorite books?

Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra - It's one giant metaphor for overcoming the mediocrity of society and defining life on your own terms. (Nietzsche's essential philosophical views set to a story)

Nietzsche - Twilight of the Idols/The Antichrist - Nietzsche's views on religion.

Wenner & Seymour - Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson - the life of Thompson told by those who knew him best.

Sun Tzu - The Art of War - While written about actual war, the concepts translate well to life in general.

Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time - If your into science, this is your book. Essentially physics for dummies.

Hunter S. Thompson - Hell's Angels - true story, totally crazy.

gravy13
9/13/08 2:15:56PM
The Stranger by Albert Camus. The best book ever written, IMO.
Mayhem13
9/13/08 3:10:09PM
A Fighters Heart- Sam Sheridan
Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs- Chuck Klosterman
dannyfrank
9/13/08 3:46:04PM
animal farm- george orwell

1984- george orwell

Fahrenheit 451- ray bradbury

the killer angels- michael sharra
haggiswashere
9/13/08 3:51:42PM
the count of monte cristo by alexandre dumas. I grew up with it and i love the moral.
JoeySteel
9/13/08 8:59:08PM
I also love the Count, but I am not sure the moral is very good.

Hmm. Favorite? A few of my all time fav's are

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

At risk of being a bit cliche I'll say Catcher in the Rye by Salinger and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Thompson.

Honestly, these were the two most purely entertaining books I have ever read.
Jackelope
9/13/08 9:16:27PM
Favorite book of all time-

Shogun by James Clavell. Timeless. A true classic.
loller90278
9/13/08 9:32:21PM
infinite jest by david wallace
a heartbreaking work of staggering genius
the confederacy of dunces
Shawn91111
9/13/08 9:51:07PM
Hoop Dreams - Paul Robert Walker
The Last Night Of The Yankee Dynasty - Buster Olney
Living On The Black - John Feinstein
jiujitsufreak74
9/13/08 10:19:29PM

Posted by Jackelope

i ordered that from amazon last week. you suggested it to me before so i actually went out and bought it
Rush
9/13/08 10:20:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

And not a bad movie either

And wasn't it me that recommended it?
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/13/08 10:24:38PM
Chariots Of The Gods? - Erich Von Daniken
Jackelope
9/13/08 11:24:52PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

Perhaps we both did at some point. I do remember suggesting it to him, though. Not surprising to hear that both of us are big fans of it, though. I'm sure JJFreak will become one, too
bigbubbano23
9/13/08 11:25:46PM
night
dawn
Jackelope
9/13/08 11:26:33PM

Posted by loller90278

a heartbreaking work of staggering genius

I've heard nothing but great things about this book. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Perhaps next summer if I'm not in school
SmileR
9/13/08 11:32:36PM
Catcher in the rye: - Awesome book, dark and mysterious and if you buy it on your credit card the FBI will follow you, but well worth a read.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: - With out doubt Hunter S Thompson's greatest work regardless of what anyone else says. Theirs a reason its so popular!

I'll wrote more tomorrow but I'm drunk now so i'll remember them later!
hails
9/14/08 4:56:06AM
Night Train, the Sonny Liston Story!!!

Also isn't it The Outsider By Albert Camus, not The Stranger?
bojangalz
9/14/08 5:02:33AM
It's posts like this which make me feel like a complete retard....

The only book bigger than 20 pages that I've ever read cover to cover was the Aerosmith autobiography "Walk this Way". It was entertaining to me as a 15 year old, nothing to unexpected in there though.

I clearly have nothing at all to offer to this conversation. But I'll say in closing that my favorite books to read my daughtor at bed time are "Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball" (no idea who the author is), and Mr. Brown can Moo by Dr. Suess.

Here's a small sampling of the literary magic that happens nightly at my house:

Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball. So no one can see me because I'm so small. Sometimes I like to jump high as I can. To see how much noise I can make when I land....you get the idea.

Oh the wonderful sounds Mr. Brown can do. He can sound like a cow. He can moo moo. He can sound like a clock. He can tick, and he can tock.
loller90278
9/14/08 5:18:12AM
oh wow, right when i pick up infinite jest again (best book ever, btw)

CLAREMONT, Calif. - David Foster Wallace, the author best known for his 1996 novel "Infinite Jest," was found dead in his home, according to police. He was 46.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wallace's wife found her husband had hanged himself when she returned home about 9:30 p.m. Friday, said Jackie Morales, a records clerk with the Claremont Police Department.

Wallace taught creative writing and English at nearby Pomona College.

"He cared deeply for his students and transformed the lives of many young people," said Dean Gary Kates. "It's a great loss to our teaching faculty."

Wallace's first novel, "The Broom of the System," gained national attention in 1987 for its ambition and offbeat humor. The New York Times said the 24-year-old author "attempts to give us a portrait, through a combination of Joycean word games, literary parody and zany picaresque adventure, of a contemporary America run amok."

Published in 1996, "Infinite Jest" cemented Wallace's reputation as a major American literary figure. The 1,000-plus-page tome, praised for its complexity and dark wit, topped many best-of lists. Time Magazine named "Infinite Jest" in its issue of the "100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005."

Wallace received a "genius grant" from the MacArthur Foundation in 1997.

In 2002, Wallace was hired to teach at Pomona in a tenured English Department position endowed by Roy E. Disney. Kates said when the school began searching for the ideal candidate, Wallace was the first person considered.

"The committee said, 'we need a person like David Foster Wallace.' They said that in the abstract," Kates said. "When he was approached and accepted, they were heads over heels. He was really the ideal person for the position."

Wallace's short fiction was published in Esquire, GQ, Harper's, The New Yorker and the Paris Review. Collections of his short stories were published as "Girl With Curious Hair" and "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men."

He wrote nonfiction for several publications, including an essay on the U.S. Open for Tennis magazine and a profile of the director David Lynch for Premiere.

Born in Ithaca, N.Y., Wallace attended Amherst College and the University of Arizona.

(Corrects school he attended to Arizona, not Illinois.)

RIP DAVID FOSTER WALLACE
george112
9/14/08 7:04:19PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

im surprised Rush.u didnt tell him to use the search function
haggiswashere
9/14/08 8:54:13PM

Posted by JoeySteel

I also love the Count, but I am not sure the moral is very good.

Hmm. Favorite? A few of my all time fav's are

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

At risk of being a bit cliche I'll say Catcher in the Rye by Salinger and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Thompson.

Honestly, these were the two most purely entertaining books I have ever read.

what are talking about the moral isn't good?the moral shows revenge isn't everything. it was one of the first to do so. note they changed it in the movie so you might be thinking of that
jiujitsufreak74
9/15/08 2:14:42PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

well i know Jackelope definitely recommended it to me, and i think you did too because of what i said about The Lsst Samurai
emfleek
9/15/08 2:58:53PM

Posted by SmileR

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: - With out doubt Hunter S Thompson's greatest work regardless of what anyone else says. Theirs a reason its so popular!

You're right.

That reason = potheads.

Seriously, though...it *is* good.