Favorite album of 2009?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Favorite album of 2009?
Next Page »
RyanC
12/17/09 5:04:42PM
At about this time every year all the Best of the Year stuff starts coming up, and being that it's 2009 now we are getting all the Best of Decade lists. I get kind of bored them honestly, but I thought this one would be cool since it seems like there are a lot of big music lovers on these boards.

What was your favorite album of 2009? I don't care what genre, I don't care how obscure, or how mainstream it is. I'm just curious what everyone has been jamming to this year.

For me there are two that stand out heads above everything else I have picked up from this year:

Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Crack the Skye might very well be my favorite album ever. It's a concept album about an outer body experience that looks at the concepts of astral travel, wormholes, and the spritiual realm. The Russian mystic Rasputin and his assasination is involved in the storyline. Amazing album by one of my favorite groups of all time.

Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
The Great Misdirect is another one of the most brilliant albums I've ever heard. BTBAM followed up the equally brilliant Colors in peak form. Parts of the album feel more like The Beatles, or Queen than a metal band, and portions of the album border on contemporary jazz. All of it blended seemlessly in a gapless mix. You can never tell when one song ends and another begins. You are just along for the ride.

Honorable mention to Killswitch Engage for their self titled fifth album. Beautiful and heartfelt. Awesome melodic metal as only Killswitch Engage can do. Howard Jones is at his finest.

Khaos
12/17/09 5:33:09PM
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

I was looking forward to this album since AIC reformed in 2005, and the final product didn't disappiont me. It is a great combination of their signature sounds, like a combination of their self titled album and Jar of Flies. I love the direction they took singing wise, but that being said, Layne Staley is irreplaceable. Sine he's passed, they've definately found a way to make AIC work. I would honestly vote it the best rock/metal album of 2009.
RyanC
12/17/09 5:39:00PM

Posted by Khaos

I was looking forward to this album since AIC reformed in 2005, and the final product didn't disappiont me. It is a great combination of their signature sounds, like a combination of their self titled album and Jar of Flies. I love the direction they took singing wise, but that being said, Layne Staley is irreplaceable. Sine he's passed, they've definately found a way to make AIC work. I would honestly vote it the best rock/metal album of 2009.

I love this album as well. It still bugs me that they continued to use the name Alice In Chains after Layne's death, but I digress. The album is fantastic and William DuVall does a very good job with the vocals. Classic AIC sound from front to back.
bojangalz
12/17/09 6:00:11PM
Technically it was released mid-late 2008 but I didn't start really getting into it until this year.

Black Stone Cherry- Folklore and Superstition
Bowen50
12/17/09 6:17:56PM
August Burns Red - Constellations

RyanC
12/17/09 6:22:20PM
Constellations is another great album that came out this year. Melodic, and brutal.
higdon10
12/17/09 6:41:13PM
The Great Misdirect has my vote.
postman
12/17/09 6:57:20PM
I don't listen to much Rap but Relapse by Eminem has brought me back to rap.
Parkway Drive Horizons is a good one to.
warglory
12/17/09 7:14:20PM
As with others here, I have to say the new Between the Buried and Me is absolutely wicked. I am haven't decided yet if its my number one choice, but it's definitely in my top 10 without a doubt.
Bowen50
12/17/09 7:35:35PM

Posted by RyanC

Constellations is another great album that came out this year. Melodic, and brutal.

yeah man Matt Greiner has to be one of, if not, the best drummer in his genre. my taste has changed a lot this year. i've gotten into a lot of hardcore/metal stuff.

Postman i gotta spread the love but Parkway Drive is awesome too
gartface
12/17/09 7:36:58PM
Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return
As Cities Burn - Hell or High Water
RyanC
12/17/09 7:45:37PM
Loving all the metal fans here. Glad to see BTBAM is getting some love. You'd be surprised how few people have heard of them around here. There are truly one of my favorite bands. It's hard for me to pick just one, but they are up there with only a few others.

I'm not quite sure how I missed Darkest Hour - Eternal Refuge. I'm downloading it now. I've been meaning to check out As Cities Burn as well, so I'm getting on that immediately also. There are a lot of Christian metalcore bands that are just ripping it up right now.

Bowen50
12/17/09 8:03:38PM
i also just got into this band The Ghost Inside. their debut album Fury and the Fallen Ones came out in 2008 and i'm pretty sure they're in the process of writing and recording a new one right now. there isn't a track on that album i'd skip. give it a listen!

RyanC
12/17/09 8:10:35PM
Thanks for the tip Bowen. I'm downloading it now. The cover art is sick.

Here are some other notable releases of 2009 if you're into the heavy sh**.

Devil Driver - Pray For Villains
Lamb of God - Wrath
Chimaira - The Infection
Job For A Cowboy - Retribution
Suicide Silence - No Time To Bleed
Behemoth - Evangelion
Vader - Necropolis
Shadows Fall - Retribution
Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity

I know I am missing some great albums. I'll continue to post them as they come to mind. There were a lot of new metalcore bands popping up this year that have put out some brutally cool stuff.

I also forgot to throw some love to a local hero on the Hip Hop side of things. P.O.S - Never Better. Outstanding album. This man is a true poet, and could not be a nicer, or better guy. Always has time for the fans before and after a show, and he is as humble a guy as you'll ever meet.
Bowen50
12/17/09 8:37:11PM
Iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening

their vocalist graduated from my high school when i was a freshman in 2004. i've never heard a chick scream as insanely as she does (perfect set up for some sort of sexual joke haha) jesus christ.

Khaos
12/17/09 8:44:09PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Khaos

I love this album as well. It still bugs me that they continued to use the name Alice In Chains after Layne's death, but I digress. The album is fantastic and William DuVall does a very good job with the vocals. Classic AIC sound from front to back.

I do agree with you there, in that I think the name should be different, but what can you do.
kopower
12/17/09 10:13:19PM

Posted by postman

I don't listen to much Rap but Relapse by Eminem has brought me back to rap.
Parkway Drive Horizons is a good one to.

I also liked Eminem. Not so much a album but a mixtape, Ya Boy Kush 2009 had some old school beats with solid lyrics
warglory
12/17/09 10:25:27PM

Posted by Bowen50

Iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening

their vocalist graduated from my high school when i was a freshman in 2004. i've never heard a chick scream as insanely as she does (perfect set up for some sort of sexual joke haha) jesus christ.

This band irritates the crap out of me. Keep hipsters out of metal I say.
SpiderSilva
12/17/09 10:52:28PM
Taylor Swift-
sublime
12/18/09 12:22:34AM
rebelution- bright side of life
if anyone else is into reggae
Kpro
12/18/09 12:36:05AM

Posted by sublime

rebelution- bright side of life
if anyone else is into reggae

Love Rebelution; just caught em in concert here in Seattle with State Radio at El Corazon a little under a year ago and they were smokin J's with everyone in line and BS'in. Good times.

Catchin em again in about 4 weeks.
submissionartist1
12/18/09 2:15:48AM
Ollipeist
Dementia

Good agressive ambient what else do you need
an underground metal NJ band

www.ollipeist.webs.com

you can check out some music in a link at this adress
The_Metal_Maniac
12/18/09 10:48:56AM
Chinese Democracy
emfleek
12/18/09 10:52:07AM

higdon10
12/18/09 11:38:14AM

Posted by RyanC

I personally hated No Time To Bleed. By far the worst Suicide Silence album ever IMO.
cowcatcher
12/18/09 11:45:12AM
silversun pickups - swoon
Jackelope
12/18/09 12:45:41PM
I'ma let you guys finish, but Beyonce had the best album of ALL time!!! OF ALL TIME!!
cowcatcher
12/18/09 12:55:00PM
i figured you as more of a lady gaga fan kanyelope..
higdon10
12/18/09 2:14:21PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'ma let you guys finish, but Beyonce had the best album of ALL time!!! OF ALL TIME!!

Lol
RyanC
12/18/09 4:45:15PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by RyanC

I personally hated No Time To Bleed. By far the worst Suicide Silence album ever IMO.

They only have two full length albums, and their demos and EP's both contain mostly content off of the Cleansing, so they don't have a lot of material to judge it against. I thought it was okay myself. It didn't measure up to my expectations, but I'm not all that picky when it comes to my death metal.

I tend to think a lot of the genre sounds alike no matter who the band is. Certain traits tend to make some stand out, such as Job For A Cowboys vocalist, but all in all it's pretty formulaic. I still like it, but like I said I'm not super picky when it comes to deathcore. It's all basically the same.
Pages: [1] 2