Your favorite all-time band/artist....?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Your favorite all-time band/artist....?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
We_Todd_Did
3/3/07 3:42:50AM
I could make a novel out of this that would make "War and Peace" look like cliff notes.But I'll go with my most influential:

Leadbelly (one of the single most influential artists of the last century...maybe ever)

Pantera/Slayer/Sepultura/Morbid Angel (my theme bands for any form of kicking ass in high school)

Mike Patton (former vocalist for "Faith No More", "Mr Bungle", about half a dozen other bands, and currently with Rahzel in "Peeping Tom"-One of the most talented and diverse singers around, has no stylistic boundaries)

John Lee Hooker/Muddy Waters (for giving me something to drink to during the down times)

Stevie Ray Vaughan (I'm fairly sure he, Dimebag, Hendrix, and the other guitar gods are somewhere right now bustin riffs so great that mortals aren't allowed to witness it)

I'm definitely leaving a LOT out, but this is just a (very) short list.

Svartorm
3/3/07 4:53:19AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Leadbelly (one of the single most influential artists of the last century...maybe ever)

That guy was brutal, and possibly the only guy to go from a prison term for murder to doing childrens songs.
Svartorm
3/3/07 4:55:01AM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by Svartorm

All time favorite: Manowar

Other favorites:

Amon Amarth
Amorphis
King Diamond
Insomnium
Finntroll
Korpiklaani

Finntroll

Folk metal is the shit!

You know it. I think Korpiklaani is the best folk metal band at the moment, but Finntroll and Moonsorrow certainly tear it up.
nate22
3/4/07 8:11:37PM
I love Amorphis, In Flames and Dark Tranquility. Opeth are great also, Pantera one of the best i've heard. Whoever does Bleed for Me, really like that song.

I like some other death metal and metal, i'm not sure on the divisions of the genres though whatsoever, Burzum are interesting to say the least if anbodies listens to that sort of chat?
nate22
3/4/07 8:12:54PM

Posted by Cary_Stayner

I second that....Nirvana has great music

Pearl Jam > Nirvana
Northrend
3/4/07 9:57:25PM

Posted by nate22

I love Amorphis, In Flames and Dark Tranquility. Opeth are great also, Pantera one of the best i've heard. Whoever does Bleed for Me, really like that song.

I like some other death metal and metal, i'm not sure on the divisions of the genres though whatsoever, Burzum are interesting to say the least if anbodies listens to that sort of chat?

Yeah Burzum my 3rd favorite band, black metal is the best. Varg still in jail though =(
Svartorm
3/4/07 10:07:44PM
I can't feel bad about that one.
nate22
3/4/07 10:12:42PM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by nate22

Yeah Burzum my 3rd favorite band, black metal is the best. Varg still in jail though =(

Didn't he burn down a church or something? My best mate likes black metal so I have gradually started to like it more and more then just put songs on Ipod. It was quite a change to what I normally listened to but I thought it was pretty good and alot of the bands and backround is pretty interesting.
Svartorm
3/5/07 12:11:42AM
He burned down several churches and murdered the original Mayhem guitarist. A few years back, he escaped from jail and was eventually caught after carjacking someone.
DoTheMMAth
3/5/07 12:22:51AM
Tool
Alice in Chains
Depeche Mode
Smashing Pumpkins
Fear Factory
Luca Turilli
Enya
Svartorm
3/5/07 12:34:11AM
You like Lucas solo stuff more than Rhapsody? I think they're both kind of inconsistant, but I did like Lucas first album a lot.
DoTheMMAth
3/5/07 1:37:08AM
I can't remember now because it's late and beer isn't helping my memory... but somehow the Luca and Rhapsody are related, so I didn't feel like listing them both. Best albums (IMO) from them both are King of the Nordic Twilight, Prophet of the Last Ecplise, The Power of the Dragonflame.

Rhapsody has some retarded legal problem and had to change their band's name to "Rhapsody of Fire", and the one RoF album I have isn't all that great. Agreed that they are inconsistent though. One album will make me feel like putting on a sword and rolling my 12-sided die or playing WoW... then some of their other stuff makes me wish I was listening to (pre-Napster) Metallica lol
cowcatcher
3/5/07 1:33:26PM
ween
they might be giants
the pixies
beatles
the smiths
richard cheese(if you haven't heard dick cheese before, he sings covers of other people's songs like a lounge singer, hilarious)

mmadb
3/5/07 2:14:04PM
It breaks my heart to have not seen the best and most talented group of musicians on the face of the earth not even mentioned.

Dream Theater are gods among men.

Honorable mention to (in no particular order)...
- Anything related to Dream Theater members solo stuff (John Petrucci's solo album, James Labrie's solo album, Liquid Tension Experiment, it's all champ)
- Pantera
- Blind Guardian
- Annihilator
- In Flames
- Joe Satriani
- AC/DC
- Black Sabbath
- Iron Maiden
- Early Metallica (up to and hell, including Black)
- Nevermore
- Opeth
- Rush
- Stratovarius
- Symphony x
- Tommy Emmanuel
- Tenacious D
- Weird Al
DoTheMMAth
3/5/07 2:48:45PM

Posted by mmadb

- Joe Satriani

Svartorm
3/6/07 1:56:01AM

Posted by mmadb
- Tommy Emmanuel

That dudes out of control. I don't like listening to most of his stuff, but watching him play his guitar like a drum and getting all those sounds out of it is amazing. Plus he can play it normally too.
Svartorm
3/6/07 1:59:37AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

I can't remember now because it's late and beer isn't helping my memory... but somehow the Luca and Rhapsody are related, so I didn't feel like listing them both. Best albums (IMO) from them both are King of the Nordic Twilight, Prophet of the Last Ecplise, The Power of the Dragonflame.

Rhapsody has some retarded legal problem and had to change their band's name to "Rhapsody of Fire", and the one RoF album I have isn't all that great. Agreed that they are inconsistent though. One album will make me feel like putting on a sword and rolling my 12-sided die or playing WoW... then some of their other stuff makes me wish I was listening to (pre-Napster) Metallica lol

I hadn't heard about them changing their name. I have most of their stuff, and that Kings of the Nordic Twilight album, but don't listen to them too often because of the inconsistancy. Generally the first song on the album after the intro will be the best one though.

I saw them live with Manowar and they were awful though. Mostly it was their soundguy, but they also threw in a random drum solo from a drummer that isn't really that good, and their set-list was rather weak.
FLAMarlins35
3/6/07 7:48:09PM
fort minor
iwannabesedated
4/1/07 7:33:00PM
Sublime and NOFX
Rush
4/1/07 8:58:30PM
For DJs I would say either Paul van Dyk or Boris Blenn

For vocals I would say Lisa Gerrard.
mkiv9secsupra
4/1/07 10:12:00PM
Disturbed
Breaking Benjamin
Chevelle
Offspring
Three Days Grace
warglory
4/1/07 10:40:40PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Northrend

Posted by Svartorm

All time favorite: Manowar

Other favorites:

Amon Amarth
Amorphis
King Diamond
Insomnium
Finntroll
Korpiklaani

Finntroll

Folk metal is the shit!

You know it. I think Korpiklaani is the best folk metal band at the moment, but Finntroll and Moonsorrow certainly tear it up.

Wintersun and Ensiferum are bitchin as well.
warglory
4/1/07 10:48:28PM
Okay, my all time favorite artist is Ayreon, with the following being close follow ups:

Slayer
All Shall Perish
Agalloch
Iced Earth
Rage
Metallica (first 4 albums)
Death
Demolition Hammer
Amon Amarth
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Death

Several others, and this list will probably change considering there are so many great acts.
skiba97
4/2/07 12:45:20AM
propagandhi, alkaline trio, rise agaisnt
sfhdsa
4/2/07 3:23:11AM
Sytem of a down will always be my favorite band.

Close seconds would be Immortal Technique, Clutch, and Bathory.

pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 10:43:51AM
I'll have to throw in Widespread Panic... Best kept secret in rock n roll, IMO
warglory
4/2/07 11:07:58AM

Posted by sfhdsa

Sytem of a down will always be my favorite band.

Close seconds would be Immortal Technique, Clutch, and Bathory.

\\

Bathory? Wow. That is a good band, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to your other picks. lol
Mastodon2
4/2/07 12:26:21PM
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani...gotta love those guitar virtuosos!

Also on the list

John Mclaughlin - English Jazz fusion guitarist, did a lot of Indian classical fusion, easily the most musically able guitarist ever

Shawn Lane - RIP, dead guitar legend, did a lot of indian classical fusion, and jazz fusion, had a technical facility like nothing most people have ever heard. If you havnt heard Shawn Lane's music, you havnt heard the upper limits of skill on guitar.

Jonas Hellborg - Bass virtuoso, played with Mclaughlin in the earlier days, did a bit of indian fusion, very able technically and musically

Victor Wooten - Jazz bassist, invented a whole new way of playing bass. Amazing groove, amazing technical skills. Writes very heartfelt music too.

Selvganesh, Vikku and Umamesh Vinayakram - Amazingly talented percussion trio from India. One of these guys, with nothing more than the Indian equivilent of a Tambourine, can put practically any western drummer to shame. Perhaps Barring Neil Peart.

Neil Peart - Accomplished Prog rock drummer, plays with the Band Rush, has a very wide knowledge of drumming styles, after cycling across many counties and learning about their percussion

Michael Manring - Jazz bassist, uses specially designed basses combined with a whole new approach to western musicallity to create almost alien soundscapes. Versed and accomplished in more traditional jazz too.

Thats a bit of a starting point for my musical tastes.

I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal, but I eventually got bored of it, it was too simplistic and straightforward. I still get out the Metallica albums from time to time but I cant listen to more than a few songs, its simply not challenging enough to the ear.
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 1:24:37PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Victor Wooten - Jazz bassist, invented a whole new way of playing bass. Amazing groove, amazing technical skills. Writes very heartfelt music too.

Wooten is fuc*in amazing... I just saw him a year or so ago with Bela Fleck (fantastic jazz banjo player, I know, I never heard of jazz banjo either)

He puts a whole new meaning into what the bass does for music...
loller90278
4/2/07 3:00:41PM

Posted by Rush

For DJs I would say either Paul van Dyk or Boris Blenn

For vocals I would say Lisa Gerrard.

good choices mate

i'd go with armin van burin, tiesto, paul van dyk

and best rapper of all time you ask?
lil' wayne.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4