How far will MMA go???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How far will MMA go???
POLL: Will MMA ever reach NFL,NBA,MLB,and NHL status?
Yes,absolutely !!! 23% (9)
Yes,but it's a long way away. 35% (14)
Maybe, I'll wait and see. 20% (8)
Polly not,but i hope so. 15% (6)
No way never happen!!! 8% (3)
dustyp
6/11/08 8:06:26PM
My personally feel that MMA will eventually reach levels that rival national sports like NBA, NFL and NHL. But I am a hardcore fan so I admit i am bias. So what do you think ?
Mchubb316
6/11/08 8:57:37PM
I don't think that it will ever reach NFL, MLB, or NBA levels of success. Hockey is down right now and could come close to that. I would mention Nascar with those as well. Iam not a Nascar fan but they do have a big fan base. MMA will continue to grow in popularity, but with all of the different organizations that keep popping up, and the talent starting to spread out, MMA will never be what the major sports are. Just my thoughts.
dustyp
6/11/08 9:12:28PM
good point about nascar. I am not a fan of the sport but i know a little on how it was founded (first nascar drivers were moonshiners and rumrunners)so as a sport from humble beginnings i hope that mma will parallel nascar's success.
Rush
6/11/08 9:13:48PM
I voted never.

Why? Because I think to gain the status of popularity of all those other orgs. you have to have a team based on a country, state, city, etc.

MMA is an individual competative sport. The fan base for any given fighter is more sparse regionally. Unlike team sports, you just don't get the same kind of support with MMA with respect to rivalries between fans, support for the "home team", etc. Those are the things that fuel hockey, football, Amer. football, etc.

Not only that, mechandising is so hard to do with the short careers of fighters and the fickle nature of many fans.
dannyfrank
6/11/08 9:26:55PM
i doubt it will ever rival football, basketball, or baseball
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 12:38:32AM

Posted by Rush

I voted never.

Why? Because I think to gain the status of popularity of all those other orgs. you have to have a team based on a country, state, city, etc.

MMA is an individual competative sport. The fan base for any given fighter is more sparse regionally. Unlike team sports, you just don't get the same kind of support with MMA with respect to rivalries between fans, support for the "home team", etc. Those are the things that fuel hockey, football, Amer. football, etc.

Not only that, mechandising is so hard to do with the short careers of fighters and the fickle nature of many fans.

I think it could because at one time, boxing was the most popular sport back in the day and that was one on one action. But the thing MMA has that will lift it beyond boxing and put it up their with those sports, is UNPREDICTABILITY. With MMA, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! With so any different technique and styles involved. And that's why I love it so much. It's why I loved GSP/Serra 1, Rampage/Chuck 2, Chuck/Jardine, Gonzaga/Cro Cop, and Forrest/Shogun.

I mean, MMA is very comparable to the NBA. You have that one person like Jordan who comes back and achieves greatness, in Randy Couture even though I wouldn't call him the greatest of all time. You have that one fresh young new blood in Lebron James that's destined for greatness, in GSP. Then believe or not I can compare BJ Penn to Kobe Bryant. They are that one guy that achieves success early in his career, then has a downfall(BJ bloating up and Lakers having bad seasons since Shaq left) to now having great success and becoming one of the greatest of all time being the best fighter out their right now in the present. IMO.

My choice is undecided. I'm stuck between probably not and definitely could. I'll just say I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
holt8081
6/12/08 1:55:19AM
I think its already past NHL but has a long road ahead to catch the rest.
seanfu
6/12/08 2:08:07AM
MMA is trully and has trully been the fastest growing sport in the world for a while. Right now the caffeine videogame culture has made it into a "fad" (which is the closest I could come.) The sport is growing much faster than it will in be ten years because it is the popular thing.

As this popularity dies down the sport will continue to survive and do so with much success. The sport will probably achieve popularity like boxing in the early 90's, but with talent like heavweights in the 70's.

It should be no question at all whether it will achieve rivaling status but the major question will be whether it will maintain that status.

My prediction, no. It will cycle as does boxing. The factor that makes this very unpredictable is the talent because the talent is never going to die down and can really only continue to improve.

Tito Ortiz at age 32(?) is already a guy whose style is outdated. Hughes who is one of the greatest ever in the sport, arguably the best ever, is outdated even though a few years earlier he was a feared wrecking force. Chuck is a freak of nature due to his natural attributes and although he continues to win I believe that is due to those attributes and not his style.

These guys who are really only second or third generation MMA fighters are obsolete. That shows the talent level increase and it's monstrous. That is a huge determining factor to the sport and will serve it well in terms of stability as opposed to boxing.

Boxing only tends to become popular when 2 or 3 weight classes are stacked. And there are around 12 weight classes.

I think MMA is here to stay but on a lower level then some say it will eventually reach once the novelty dies.
Raykill
6/12/08 2:36:08AM
I think it has a great chance in getting that big.
A couple of things, with the way we are consuming fossil fuels world wide I wouldn’t be surprised if NASCAR is a dieing sport, That the government doesn’t step in soon and start mandating all things that can be considered wasteful of our natural resources. (I mean U.S. government)
You know the mainstream is that "green" is in.
So point is MMA appeals to the NASCAR fan as well. Once these changes start to occur MMA could get another boost in their fan base.

Next as far as not having MMA as a sport that has city, state representation like Football, baseball and such.
Well I agree to a point. We already see a lot of this country type stuff. Flags are waved in the stands, team logos are out there from the different fight camps. So I don’t think it’s to far fetched, that in the future this could be enough to raise the sport to that level.
I know, a whole lot of what if and such. But stranger things have happened.

Now, I am going to watch my Olympic table tennis DVD’s
stock
6/12/08 12:07:26PM
I voted never because rule book just keeps getting thicker and thicker and the refs keep stopping fights quicker and quicker.
I see this getting worse and worse as time goes by as MMA orgs will continually try to appease regulators and right wing nut jobs.

Although all these things definitely are in the best interests of fighters' safety, it is not good for a sport that is supposed to prove who the best fighters are.

Before long, the UFC and other organizations will not be considered fighters anymore since there will just be too many restrictions/rules in "fights" for them really to be a fight. They will simply be competitions under a stringent set of rules.
scobac
6/12/08 12:51:48PM

Posted by stock

I voted never because rule book just keeps getting thicker and thicker and the refs keep stopping fights quicker and quicker.
I see this getting worse and worse as time goes by as MMA orgs will continually try to appease regulators and right wing nut jobs.

Although all these things definitely are in the best interests of fighters' safety, it is not good for a sport that is supposed to prove who the best fighters are.

Before long, the UFC and other organizations will not be considered fighters anymore since there will just be too many restrictions/rules in "fights" for them really to be a fight. They will simply be competitions under a stringent set of rules.

sorry but i think ur off ur chain bro, what do u want these guys to do? nut punch, eyy gouge? the oppisite is the prob, to much violence? the prob is it is not clean enough not that it is not dirty enough. and what about the "rule book"? why is it so thick?
casey64
6/12/08 1:38:43PM
It might but I doubt it very seriously.
fullerene
6/12/08 3:14:09PM
The sport has a lot going for it: It's one of the basic contests between people and it's easy to market "the guy who could beat up any other guy" and it has an international base of talent and fans already, But to become as popular as the most popular sports it needs to be considered acceptable and accessible to the demographics that propel football, golf, basketball and the like to popularity. I think the biggest thing that is missing (and I know I've said this many times before) is a universal amateur system that is decoupled from the professional rules set. This would allow many more parents to have their kids participate which builds both future fans and fighters. It would also make the sport more network and sponsor friendly and it may give MMA a shot at being an Olympic sport.
stock
6/12/08 3:31:26PM

Posted by scobac

Posted by stock

sorry but i think ur off ur chain bro, what do u want these guys to do? nut punch, eyy gouge? the oppisite is the prob, to much violence? the prob is it is not clean enough not that it is not dirty enough. and what about the "rule book"? why is it so thick?

I will try to respond to my best translation to what is in your post.
I never said I want eye gouging, or nut kicking. Don't put fknwords in my mouth.
I just don't understand how some things (like knees on the ground, etc... which never resulted in serious injury in the past) are considered "dirty" while some magic genie gets to decide what is "clean". Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the regulators, and that is NOT GOOD FOR THE SPORT.
All I am saying is that rules will continue to increase in number, be enforced more agressively, and fights will continue to be ended earlier and earlier. IMO, this is not good for the sport.
Dragonscale
6/12/08 10:14:54PM

Posted by stock

I completely agree with this, see CBS early stops and Doctor stops as an example.

MMA used to be stopped 2 ways and 2 ways ONLY, Knockout or Tapout... now it seems to be freaking Knock Down!

The same with cuts. If they start stopping fights like in the CBS show with a cut UNDER the eye and the eye swelling only slightly (I've seen plenty of fights with a guy fighting with his eye nearly closed) then that's not good either.

Seriously, if it gets any worse than it is currently (ie: like the cbs show) then I see a lot of frustration.

Boxing was at the top of its game until the fights started getting stopped and the decisions started sucking.

I'd hate to see this in MMA.
emfleek
6/12/08 11:15:52PM
No farther than Des Moines.