Fantasy matchup: The Matador and The Lion II

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fantasy matchup: The Matador and The Lion II
POLL: Huerta vs. Schultz II..?
Huerta by (T)KO 45% (9)
Huerta by Submission 5% (1)
Huerta by Decision 25% (5)
Schultz by (T)KO 15% (3)
Schultz by Submission 5% (1)
Schultz by Decision 5% (1)
AchillesHeel
4/14/08 12:11:39PM
Reviewing the record of Roger "El Matador" Huerta I noticed, apparently for the first time, the name on his sole loss: Ryan "The Lion" Schultz.

It's nearly four years on since their Superbrawl 36 match, and both men have made fantastic strides in their careers. Huerta is now a legit UFC Lightweight and Sports Illustrated cover boy; and Schultz is the reigning IFL Lightweight Champion, clubbing previously-undefeated wunderkind Chris Horodecki at the Grand Prix Finals in December. Both of them are versatile fighters, good wrestlers with most of their wins by (T)KO but perfectly happy to tap someone out. Both of them are on winning streaks.

While Huerta has the more impressive win-loss record and fights in the deeper waters of the UFC, Schultz has arguably faced a higher caliber of competition in recent years. In addition to the wins over Huerta and Horodecki, Schultz fought Gesias Calvancanti to a Draw, and lost matchups with Hermes Franca, Bart Palaszewski, Rich Clementi, and Kuniyoshi Hironaka.

Meanwhile, Huerta clearly hasn't faced many guys at his own level. His inability to finish Leonard Garcia shouldn't be misconstrued as any kind of a draw, it was more about Garcia's chin. It wasn't until Clay Guida came along that Huerta fought someone at his own level, and we learned something about Huerta's character in the face of adversity. Like a miniature Nogueira, he took a lickin' and kept on tickin', and submitted the guy that Din Thomas, Tyson Griffin, and Marcus Aurelio couldn't.

A cross-promotional fight between the IFL and the UFC looks about as likely as my getting Jessica Biel in the sack, but is this a rematch you'd pay to see? And how do you think it would play out?

ohiostate1016
4/14/08 1:39:17PM
I don't know, man. My gut instinct was Huerta, but Schultz has been impressive recently, especially when he beat Horodecki. I'd still have to go with Huerta, but it'd be a damn good fight.
AchillesHeel
4/14/08 3:02:59PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I don't know, man. My gut instinct was Huerta, but Schultz has been impressive recently[...]

Yeah, exactly, it's kind of a "sneaky" matchup. At first, you kind of think "well, Huerta's a UFC contender, so 'duh...'", but then you look more closely at Schultz's record and watch a couple of his fights, and it's not so clear. And while the UFC has a lot more depth, I actually think the top Lightweights in the IFL - Schultz, Horodecki, Taurosevicius - could hang in the UFC.
Pookie
4/14/08 3:13:18PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ohiostate1016

I don't know, man. My gut instinct was Huerta, but Schultz has been impressive recently[...]

Yeah, exactly, it's kind of a "sneaky" matchup. At first, you kind of think "well, Huerta's a UFC contender, so 'duh...'", but then you look more closely at Schultz's record and watch a couple of his fights, and it's not so clear. And while the UFC has a lot more depth, I actually think the top Lightweights in the IFL - Schultz, Horodecki, Taurosevicius - could hang in the UFC.

I dont think they could be contenders... But as far as Huerta being a contender, he has made his name by fighting low quality opposition. So on that token Schultz has been fighting much harder competition. I chose Schultz because the guy has got a good chin and Huerta had no answers for guida when he was on his back.
jiujitsufreak74
4/14/08 3:32:34PM
i would pick Huerta because i am a Huerta fan boy and i could probably convince myself on a legitimate reason for him winning. but i won't go into that at the moment but will instead say this: who ever is the underdog (in terms of wagers) on the fight has my money unless it is something like -100, -110. if one of them has +200 or better, my money would be on that fighter since this fight would be a really tough one to call. another factor you have to look out is under what rules would this fight occur. hopefully UFC rules because the IFL really inhibits the fighters' arsenal. either way this would be a war between two fast-paced LWs looking to settle a score.
tylerlee123
4/14/08 4:45:20PM
Schultz was very impressive against Hordecki but Huerta is on a roll
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/14/08 7:24:31PM
Huerta in an exciting UD