Fantasy Draft Rd1 Match 4: gspfan v Rabi

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fantasy Draft Rd1 Match 4: gspfan v Rabi
POLL: Which Grand Prix
gspfan 38% (6)
Rabi 63% (10)
Rabi
2/13/11 3:49:56PM
The chosen weight classes here were WW and LW.

gspfan

R1:
Nick Diaz? vs Thiago Alves
Carlos Condit vs Josh Koscheck
Matt Hughes vs Tyron Woodley
Paul Daley? vs Brian Foster
Ben Saunders vs Anthony Johnson
Diego Sanchez vs Rick Story
Jake Ellenberger vs Johny Hendricks
Chris Lytle vs Rory MacDonald

R2:
Nick Diaz vs Anthony Johnson
Carlos Condit vs Tyron Woodley
Paul Daley vs Chris Lytle
Diego Sanchez vs Jake Ellenberger

R3:
Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley
Diego Sanchez vs Carlos Condit

Final:
Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit

Rabi

Rd 1

Edgar v Cerrone
Melendez v Pellegrino
Maynard v Sherk
Alverez v Gomi
Henderson v Diaz
Guida v Griffin
Sotiropoulos v Bocek
J Thomson v Edwards

QF

Edgar v Thomson
Melendez v Henderson
Maynard v Guida
Alverez v Sotiropoulos

SF

Edgar v Maynard
Melendez v Alverez

Final

Maynard v Melendez
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 5:37:28PM
I have to give this one to Rabi. For a couple reasons, actually. There's one or two fights that gspfan has where I disagree with who would actually win that fight and I like Rabi's semifinals/finals way more.

Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley & Diego Sanchez vs Carlos Condit is not as exciting as Edgar v Maynard & Melendez v Alvarez
Playground_Samurai
2/13/11 5:46:05PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
I have to give this one to Rabi. For a couple reasons, actually. There's one or two fights that gspfan has where I disagree with who would actually win that fight and I like Rabi's semifinals/finals way more.

I didn't really go with who I thought would actually win. It's a fantasy card so I went with what match ups i'd like to see most.

Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley & Diego Sanchez vs Carlos Condit is not as exciting as Edgar v Maynard & Melendez v Alvarez

I don't think it's cut and dry at all as to which of these fights would be more exciting. Edgar/Maynard 2 was pretty damn good but their first fight got a lot of criticism for not being exciting. I don't have any doubt that Melendez/Alvarez would be awesome. On the same note, i'm very confident that Diaz/Daley and Sanchez/Condit would be pretty epic.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 6:13:42PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I didn't really go with who I thought would actually win. It's a fantasy card so I went with what match ups i'd like to see most.

I don't think it's cut and dry at all as to which of these fights would be more exciting. Edgar/Maynard 2 was pretty damn good but their first fight got a lot of criticism for not being exciting. I don't have any doubt that Melendez/Alvarez would be awesome. On the same note, i'm very confident that Diaz/Daley and Sanchez/Condit would be pretty epic.

Sanchez and Condit, yes. Diaz and Daley has all the making of being a complete flop. Daley had NO answer for the ground game of Koscheck and Kos isn't nearly as proficient on the ground as Diaz. Diaz does have a tendency to stand and bang, but I think he would realize that Daley is entirely one dimensional and there's no point in making your night longer than it needs to be. With Diaz's background, I think he'd take Daley down and submit him in the first.

The other two fights, though they may not be as exciting, appear to be more equal matchups. Styles make matchups and Edgar & Maynard have gone the distance both times they have fought. Alvarez and Melendez has all the makings of a back and forth match as well. I think in the end, Daley vs. Diaz was what turned me toward Rabi.
kopower
2/13/11 7:13:27PM
I'm gonna have to go with gspfan here. Both cards are very strong, but I like the semifinals and finals a tad bit more in gspfan's fantasy card.

I think Diaz would only take the fight to the ground if he got dropped and Daley chased him down or if for some ungodly reason Paul tried to take Nick down.

I also find the Condit vs Diaz match very intriguing. The Sanchez/Condit match leading up to the finals would be a war.

Both cards very solid though. I just personally wouldn't want to see Edgar/Maynard 3 quite yet.
Pookie
2/13/11 7:18:48PM
I picked Rabi's card. But id like to say that i disagree with both finals.

Thiago Alves would beat the brakes off of Diaz and cruise through his tournament.

And i think its Alvarez v. Edgar in the other finals.
Franklinfan47
2/13/11 9:27:07PM
Another tough one but I settled on Rabi's, just because any mix of edgar-maynard-melendez-alvarez would be great fights.
emfleek
2/14/11 8:42:33AM

Posted by Pookie

Thiago Alves would beat the brakes off of Diaz

Agreed. I would absolutely love to see that, too.
Rabi
2/14/11 3:49:59PM
Rabi wins 10-5 to make the final.