The Fantasy Baseball Trade thread...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Fantasy Baseball Trade thread...
emfleek
2/24/09 10:34:12AM
Each season, there are numerous threads posted here throughout the course of the MLB season, wanting fantasy advice. So why not have a dedicated thread?

Anyways...I don't need advice right now, but I'll post the outcome of a trade was just proposed to me (and I accepted).

HE GOT:
Grady Sizemore
Howie Kendrick
Carlos Pena

IN RETURN, I GOT:
Derrek Lee
Vladimir Guerrero
Ian Kinsler
AchillesHeel
2/24/09 11:31:50AM

Posted by emfleek

HE GOT:
Grady Sizemore
Howie Kendrick
Carlos Pena

IN RETURN, I GOT:
Derrek Lee
Vladimir Guerrero
Ian Kinsler

It's hard to evaluate trades without knowing the rest of the rosters involved, but looking at this "on paper", I think I'd rather have the 3 players you got than the 3 you gave up, because of position depth. There are a bunch of outfielders who I rate not far behind Sizemore, and Guerrero is one of them. Likewise, Lee isn't far behind Pena (and Pena's edge mainly comes from having a higher ceiling).

The key here is Ian Kinsler; if he has another of the top second basemen, then he's not losing a ton at that position. Likewise, if you already had one of the other top second basemen, you didn't gain a ton from Kinsler unless you can trade that other guy for something you need.

In terms of statistics, it looks like you traded some homers and some steals for a big boost in batting average (Runs and RBI look close enough to call it a wash). Again, it's impossible to know whether this was good for either of you because I don't know what you needed and what you had in surplus.

All-in-all, B+ for you, B for him.
DCRage
2/24/09 11:43:49AM
Kendrick's a wild card too. His rankings suggest boon, but his results the last couple years have been more bust due to injuries.
emfleek
2/24/09 11:55:18AM
MY CURRENT LINEUP (before the trade goes through)

HIS CURRENT LINEUP (before the trade goes through)
bojangalz
2/24/09 12:26:47PM
Keeper league or not?
AchillesHeel
2/24/09 12:29:02PM

Posted by emfleek

MY CURRENT LINEUP (before the trade goes through)

So... yeah... You traded some homers and some steals for a boost to your batting average, which appears to be what you needed.
higdon10
2/24/09 4:18:19PM
I would give you the edge. Most definitley. I draft on March 8th and I'll be sure to post my trades here.
emfleek
2/24/09 6:31:10PM

Posted by bojangalz

Keeper league or not?

Not. I probably would've kept Sizemore and Kendrick if it was.
Shawn91111
2/24/09 6:37:46PM
Going by the trade. You got more...not only does this depend on your needs and his it also depends on stats in your league as well.

I like Kinsler he was well on his way to an MVP season before being injured. I think Vlad is on a bit of a decline but thats only because he has produced at such a high level and they didnt really have a good offense around him. Abreu being there should help a bit. Vlad will never be a 15-20 base stealer again but should get between 5-10 which is decent.
Lee is a pretty good player, he doesnt have the pop Pena does but has a better average and if doubles are a stat in your league they will help as well.

Overall you lost power in Home Runs but I think gained in Avg and Extra base hits.
higdon10
3/2/09 9:30:44PM
How about this one-

I get- Brian Roberts

I give- Rich Harden and Kelly Johnson
Shawn91111
3/2/09 10:04:00PM

Posted by higdon10

How about this one-

I get- Brian Roberts

This trade has a lot of "ifs". IF Harden is healthy which, really has never been the case and can pitch like he did last year for the Cubs and IF Johnson has that breakout year everyone has been waiting for then you might be giving up too much.

I like Roberts he is very consistent and can give you some good stolen bases. His avg is right around what Johnson can put out and hits for less power. Id have to see the categories for points in your league but IMO I think you are giving up too much. 2B is not a big deal and pitching wins
AchillesHeel
3/3/09 11:47:53AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by higdon10

How about this one-

I get- Brian Roberts

This trade has a lot of "ifs". IF Harden is healthy which, really has never been the case and can pitch like he did last year for the Cubs and IF Johnson has that breakout year everyone has been waiting for then you might be giving up too much.

I like Roberts he is very consistent and can give you some good stolen bases. His avg is right around what Johnson can put out and hits for less power. Id have to see the categories for points in your league but IMO I think you are giving up too much. 2B is not a big deal and pitching wins

I agree. Harden and Johnson have much more upside than Roberts alone. If you're in dire need of stolen bases, you can probably get them another way. Besides the SBs, Johnson-for-Roberts is probably a wash, and might look downright foolish by the end of the season.
emfleek
3/18/09 9:39:08AM
So I just finished up my final 2 drafts over the past two days...here's my team that I drafted in a 10-team (5x5) league.

C - Victor Martinez
1B - Justin Morneau
2B - Jose Lopez
SS - Jhonny Peralta
3B - Casey Blake
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Ryan Ludwick
OF - Jay Bruce
UTIL - Justin Upton
BENCH - Alex Rodriguez
BENCH - Xavier Nady

SP - Tim Lincecum
SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Felix Hernandez
RP - Joakim Soria
RP - Carlos Marmol
P - Mike Gonzalez
P - Kerry Wood
BENCH - Joe Saunders
BENCH - Chris Carpenter
emfleek
3/18/09 9:44:27AM
This was from my draft on Sunday evening.

18 Team Keeper League
Head-to-Head (15x15) Scoring

higdon10
3/18/09 8:04:46PM
Here is my team. 12 team, First year keeper.

C Kelly Shoppach, Cle C
1B Joey Votto, Cin 1B
2B Brian Roberts, Bal 2B
3B Evan Longoria, TB 3B
SS Stephen Drew, Ari SS
OF Nick Markakis, Bal OF
OF Andre Ethier, LAD OF
OF Ryan Braun, Mil OF DTD
UTIL Justin Upton, Ari OF
UTIL Raul Ibanez, Phi OF
Bench James Loney, LAD 1B
Bench Adam Lind, Tor OF
Bench Alexi Casilla, Min 2B
Bench Michael Bourn, Hou OF
Bench Pablo Sandoval, SF 1B

SP Roy Oswalt, Hou SP
SP Scott Kazmir, TB SP
SP Jon Lester, Bos SP
P Adam Wainwright, StL SP
P John Maine, NYM SP
RP Brian Wilson, SF RP
RP Heath Bell, SD RP
RP -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Bench Jair Jurrjens, Atl SP
Bench Hiroki Kuroda, LAD SP

What do you think??
Ordep
4/18/09 4:54:28PM
got a trade offer from Kpro in our Playground league...

I get:
Shane Victorino
Felix Hernandez
Emilio Bonifacio
Jose Reyes
Chipper Jones

He gets:
Chien Ming Wang

who ya'll think wins here?

Shawn91111
4/18/09 6:01:23PM

Posted by Ordep

got a trade offer from Kpro in our Playground league...

I get:
Shane Victorino
Felix Hernandez
Emilio Bonifacio
Jose Reyes
Chipper Jones

He gets:
Chien Ming Wang

who ya'll think wins here?

im gonna veto

urbman
4/19/09 6:02:46PM
Here's one for ya to bounce around,

I traded:CC Sabathia and R.Zimmerman
I received:Aramis Ramirez and A.Jones(balt-of)

I'm a hugh Ramirez fan and expect big things from Jones as well. Thanks..
Shawn91111
4/19/09 6:52:09PM

Posted by urbman

Ramirez is very consistent and I do expect Zimmerman to bounce back but wont put up the numbers of Aramis. I think Jones is a year from a huge season and it might happen this year.

For me im huge on pitching and I think and it has shown for me is pitching wins, now I dont know the point categories in your league but I think you gave up too much, but thats me because I like top starting pitching
DCRage
4/20/09 8:16:02AM

Posted by urbman

Unfortunately it gets a fail for timing. You got, for now, a bum deal of sorts-both are doing well but there are major injury risks-Jones has a sore hamstring and may go on the DL, and while Ramirez is on his usual near-30-100 pace he's coming off back issues. Those are always close to red flags.
Shawn91111
4/20/09 8:57:18AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by urbman

Unfortunately it gets a fail for timing. You got, for now, a bum deal of sorts-both are doing well but there are major injury risks-Jones has a sore hamstring and may go on the DL, and while Ramirez is on his usual near-30-100 pace he's coming off back issues. Those are always close to red flags.

They are not "major injury risks" Jones hamstring for now is just sore and is being listed as day to day so far. Ramirez has missed games for the better part of a few years but will continue to put up the numbers. If it was a top of the line SP it would be a good trade