The Fans Have Spoken: Inaugural World MMA Awards Winners Announced

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Fans Have Spoken: Inaugural World MMA Awards Winners Announced
DCRage
12/9/08 2:15:05PM
The winners for the inaugural World MMA Awards, launched by Fighters Only magazine this past year and voted on entirely by fans, have been announced. The big winners were the Fighters Of The Year-Anderson Silva and Gina Carano, and the Promotion Of The Year-UFC.

Article
wiggum
12/9/08 3:30:13PM
haha, i kinda find those humurous for some reason...leadin man?.....anyways, not bad pics i suppose, kinda obvious stuff, espcially when its readers pics.........even tho i loved the fight, liddell-silva i dont think was the best fight this past year...it was awesome, but i think there were a few above it
Jackelope
12/9/08 3:50:49PM
LMAO, the awards are a complete joke

Other winners included Michael Bisping (European Fighter of the Year); Demian Maia (Breakthrough Fighter of the Year); Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva (Fight of the Year); Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Hughes (Submission of the Year); Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine (Knockout of the Year); Dana White (Leading Man); Arianny Celeste (Ring Girl of the Year); TapouT (Best Overall Clothing); Fairtex (Best MMA Gloves); and Sprawl (Best MMA Shorts).

GSP vs. Hughes submission of the year??? How about Hazelett's arm bar or Aoki's gogo? Or any other number of submissions that were much more impressive?

No mention of Gegard Mousasi being 6-0 and winning the MW Grand Prix?

How about Hansen vs. Alvarez, Torres vs. Maeda, Alvarez vs. Kawajiri, or any other number of fights that were much, much, much more impressive than Liddell vs. Silva?

I agree, the fans have spoken. What have they said? That the vast majority of fans are UFC nut huggers who generally probably don't know shit about MMA.

The only ones I agree with are the Silva vs. Jardine KO of the year, the Arianny ring girl of the year, Dana White lead man of the year, and Fairtex gloves
emfleek
12/9/08 3:58:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree, the fans have spoken. What have they said? That the vast majority of fans are UFC nut huggers who generally probably don't know shit about MMA.

Surely you can't be surprised?

To 90% of fans (in the US, anyways) the UFC *is* the sport.

UFC = MMA = "ultimate fighting" = "pit fighting"

People are stupid. It's gonna take time to educate.
Jackelope
12/9/08 4:01:05PM
I know, but it's such a travesty that some of these guys don't get the respect they deserve IMO. I just hate that you throw around some names and people come back with "Well, obviously they're not that good if they're not in the UFC"

bah... I'm not going to go on a rant. I was close, though...
Darnok
12/9/08 4:34:31PM

Posted by Jackelope

I know, but it's such a travesty that some of these guys don't get the respect they deserve IMO. I just hate that you throw around some names and people come back with "Well, obviously they're not that good if they're not in the UFC"

Hey man some times you take stuff way too serious.

Obviously this article was written simply to get readers to their site. I doubt that there was even a legitimate vote. This can be said about pretty much all MMA websites. They actually care very little for the world of MMA and are just trying to make money from the website advertising.
aaa9erh8er
12/9/08 4:42:09PM
ok i doubt it was a illegitemate vote. but like it was siad the casual mma fan doesnt know what a gogo is let alone that aioki can do one. also eropean fighter of the year DUH!!!! i mean who else is there tha ton is a joke. its a poll of a select few that really dont know much about mma.
my award for fighter of thea year would have to forrest capturing the title and beating shogun. or BJs triumphant return to LW come on............
Jackelope
12/9/08 4:54:41PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by Jackelope

Obviously this article was written simply to get readers to their site. I doubt that there was even a legitimate vote. This can be said about pretty much all MMA websites. They actually care very little for the world of MMA and are just trying to make money from the website advertising.

Ehh... I'm not losing any sleep over it. I do get pissed about this kind of stuff, though. A lot of really good guys come through the gym I train at, and seeing them not get the recognition they deserve even from guys who train in MMA gets under my skin. When big name fighters who are top 10 ranked from other orgs besides the UFC come to my gym I'm usually 1 of about maybe 5 people total who recognize them, and this is a top camp!

One of the champs of a very popular MMA org (Not the UFC) that I'm friends with came over to talk to me while his freakin belt was on his shoulder. When he got up and went back to his seat people around me were asking "Who was that guy?" I couldn't do anything but laugh because this was at an MMA event! When Houston Alexander came by, though.. oh did they recognize him! Not saying anything bad about Houston, but he's not exactly a champion. (Although he's a helluva guy that probably does more appearances than almost any other UFC fighter out there) It's just strange to me, and a bit of a tragedy IMO.

Some of the big names are glad they don't get recognized, but I feel like an MMA magazine should be doing their part to recognize and spread the knowledge of the dudes who are legitimately skilled fighters.

Wolfenstein
12/9/08 5:18:38PM
This is a pretty clear example of why fans shouldn't vote for awards It turns into a popularity contest determined by fans whose exposure to MMA is limited. In my opinion it shouldn't even be an MMA awards. It should be fan favorites of the year.

If I had voted it would have went something like this....

Eddie Alvarez (Fighter of the year)
Gina Carano (Female fighter of the year)
Gegard Mousasi (European fighter of the year)
Eddie Alvarez (Breakthrough fighter of the year)
Shinya Aoki vs Katsuhiko Nagata (Mounted Gogoplata submission of the year)
Miguel Torres vs Yoshiro Maeda (Fight of the year)
Rashad Evans vs Chuck Lidell(Knockout of the year)..with Rory Markham coming in a close second.

StriderXero
12/9/08 5:25:45PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

This is a pretty clear example of why fans shouldn't vote for awards It turns into a popularity contest determined by fans whose exposure to MMA is limited. In my opinion it shouldn't even be an MMA awards. It should be fan favorites of the year.

If I had voted it would have went something like this....

Eddie Alvarez (Fighter of the year)
Gina Carano (Female fighter of the year)
Gegard Mousasi (European fighter of the year)
Eddie Alvarez (Breakthrough fighter of the year)
Shinya Aoki vs Katsuhiko Nagata (Mounted Gogoplata submission of the year)
Miguel Torres vs Yoshiro Maeda (Fight of the year)
Rashad Evans vs Chuck Lidell(Knockout of the year)..with Rory Markham coming in a close second.

With almost everything you have there, except with female fighter of the year. I'd go with Megumi Fujii. I would have Gina as best female but she's struggled making weight. Not saying she isn't a top fighter but IMO a top fighter should make weight.
Wolfenstein
12/9/08 5:30:49PM
Touche, on the female fighter. I've heard a ton of good things about her, but I hae to plead ignorance as I've never seen her fight. I should probably start watching "Smackgirl".
Darnok
12/10/08 11:09:42AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Darnok

Posted by Jackelope

Ehh... I'm not losing any sleep over it. I do get pissed about this kind of stuff, though. A lot of really good guys come through the gym I train at, and seeing them not get the recognition they deserve even from guys who train in MMA gets under my skin. When big name fighters who are top 10 ranked from other orgs besides the UFC come to my gym I'm usually 1 of about maybe 5 people total who recognize them, and this is a top camp!

One of the champs of a very popular MMA org (Not the UFC) that I'm friends with came over to talk to me while his freakin belt was on his shoulder. When he got up and went back to his seat people around me were asking "Who was that guy?" I couldn't do anything but laugh because this was at an MMA event! When Houston Alexander came by, though.. oh did they recognize him! Not saying anything bad about Houston, but he's not exactly a champion. (Although he's a helluva guy that probably does more appearances than almost any other UFC fighter out there) It's just strange to me, and a bit of a tragedy IMO.

Some of the big names are glad they don't get recognized, but I feel like an MMA magazine should be doing their part to recognize and spread the knowledge of the dudes who are legitimately skilled fighters.

Hey man I totally agree with you.

But you have to ask yourself, why doesn't the average fan know about these other good fighters. Is it because this average fan doesn't spend enough time on his computer learning about MMA or is it because he doesn't have the time or money to go to every single MMA event in the world. You can't blame the average fan or the UFC for these fighters not getting the recognition they deserve.

See you have it lucky you obviously train and hang around with a diverse group from the MMA world. However I come from a small town in Northern Canada where everybody I know is only a casual fan and they don't care when I tell them that there is other fighters out there other than those in the UFC. If they can't see it on a PPV in the comfort of their living room they have no interest in it.

I bet if you ask any average football fan to name the top 50 football players they would all come from the NFL even though there is some awesome players in the CFL.