UK UFC Fans we have a question only you can answer.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UK UFC Fans we have a question only you can answer.
Next Page »
POLL: Is Bisping still the poster boy of the UFC in the UK?
Yes 33% (14)
No 31% (13)
Not for long 36% (15)
postman
5/2/10 11:52:10AM
We are having a discussion in another thread about Mike Bisping. There is some question as to weather or not he is still the poster boy for MMA and the UFC in the UK. Your help would be apperciated.
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/10 2:03:17PM
Im not from the uk but I think bisping is losing momentum with hardy and daley gaining interest.
grappler0000
5/2/10 2:19:29PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Im not from the uk but I think bisping is losing momentum with hardy and daley gaining interest.

Plus guys like like Ross Pearson, Paul Kelly, John Hathaway, and Terry Etim moving up the ranks.
gsp69
5/2/10 2:27:53PM
BISPING SEEMS 2 HAVE LOST THAT SPARK, STOPPED EVOLVING??

WITH THE RISE OF FIGHTERS LIKE DAN HARDY, PAUL DALEY, ROSS PEARSON, TERRY ETIM 2 NAME A FEW HE GANA HAV2 PULL OF SOMETHING SPECIAL 2 GET BACK UP 2 POSTER BOY STATUS!!

MAYBE CHANGE OF CAMP MITE SHAKE THINGS UP A BIT???

WAR UK!!
grappler0000
5/2/10 2:42:14PM
Why all the shouting?
mrsmiley
5/2/10 3:01:02PM
To become an established superstar you gotta have that one big win against a legend and Bisping has utterly failed twice to gain a win over MMA elite and certify himself as a legit title contender. He's in no way a bad fighter but his skills are not equal to the hype surronding him.
I say at this point Bisping verging on becoming disposable income and if his current trend of performance continues they'll simply ride him out until all the money making possiblities are sucked dry from him.
TimW001
5/2/10 3:26:52PM
Bisping is by far the biggest name in UK MMA. Although Dan Hardy and Daley are way more skilled in their division. They'll build up soon. Same with Terry Etim.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 3:48:28PM
Okay, Postman, you get mad props for taking something I said in another forum and making it into a topic. Thank you for doing this. I'm going to be really interested in seeing the results of this poll. I believe that Bisping doesn't evolve as a fighter and has proven that he is no match for his division's elite. Where as fighters like Daley and Hardy seem to get better and better every time they fight and actually win tough match-ups. for this forum.

EDIT: Okay, I have to spread the love but rest assured, props are coming.
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/10 4:18:58PM
Also the thing is hardy just got a title shot and daley is fighting kos to get a title shot whereas bisping has yet to get a shot at the title
SmileR
5/2/10 4:51:35PM
To the casual fan Bisping is like the Chuck of U.K MMA. Its not even close.
I have friends who could pick Bisping out of a line up of random sports personalities and say that Mike Bisping the UFC guy. Not one could pick out Hardy, Etim, Kelly, Daley, Taylor, AlTurk or Sass and they are the cream of the U.K crop.
Tallent wise their are guys who I'd rank ahead of him, mainly Eitm and maybe Daley but Bisping gets a hell of a lot of bad press, some deserving some not.

Regardless of what people think of him as a fighter he's fought some good people and won or took them to a close decision and I honestly can't see anyone overtaking him fame wise for a while.

For the record I'm not a huge fan of Bisping. But he is still with out doubt the face of U.K MMA, him or Alex Read....
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 5:07:46PM
I can probably buy that. I don't like it and I don't agree with it. He really doesn't seem to be improving as a fighter. Actually, IMO, he takes steps backwards. He was a stud on TUF and I don't know what happened.
postman
5/2/10 7:14:57PM

Posted by SmileR

To the casual fan Bisping is like the Chuck of U.K MMA.

SmileR you where who I thought of when I posted this and I'm glad you chimed in. I was just about to make the comparison to Chuck then caught your post. No offense to anyone else but I know SmileR has his UK MMA Knowledge down i'm going to have to take his word for it.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 7:23:51PM
Everything he said, I agreed with. It makes a lot of sense, actually. I'm just sad that he is the poster child for the UK. Especially when there are more talented fighters.
TimW001
5/2/10 8:49:45PM
I wish Lee Murray was the face.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 9:09:17PM
He's the face of Securitas.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
warglory
5/2/10 9:34:43PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Snake Eyes?
haggiswashere
5/2/10 9:44:31PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Snake Eyes?

I know. I feel betrayed too.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 9:46:05PM
I know fighters don't get paid very well compared to other athletes but, DAMN, that story blew my mind.
haggiswashere
5/2/10 10:00:43PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I know fighters don't get paid very well compared to other athletes but, DAMN, that story blew my mind.

For real. Especially from a guy with so much potential.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 10:17:06PM
Haggis, have you heard anymore about his impending court case? Is he still just sitting in jail waiting for arraignment or what?
sbulldavid
5/2/10 10:20:22PM
Bisping has good skills, but there comes a point in time when technique just isn't enough. It's much like the college all-american moving up to the NBA and realizing how fast and strong everybody is. He's good enough to stay in the fight but he's just not good enough to win the fight. He hasn't beaten any top ten guys, and he has looked unspectacular against anybody near the top ten, I think he belongs in the top ten, he just needs to start winning the fights when they are close.
haggiswashere
5/2/10 10:29:15PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Haggis, have you heard anymore about his impending court case? Is he still just sitting in jail waiting for arraignment or what?

Haha I had to wiki it. They had a link to an ESPN story on there that sounds like he could get off pretty easy.

Link
BlueSkiesBurn
5/2/10 11:57:37PM
for that link.

That's a pretty ballsy thing he did. I wanna have a beer with him and ask him what was going through his head when he pulled that.
runningman08
5/4/10 1:53:55AM
I dont think bisping is anymore. As of right now i dont think there is a poster boy for the UK. I see a lot of guys building up but not yet at the level of being considered a poster boy.
cowcatcher
5/4/10 9:16:06AM
well im not from the UK, but bisping is still the poster boy of UK MMA and its not even close at this point. poster boy doesnt imply best fighter, its more pf a most well known thing and the mention of chuck earlier is the perfect example of that. IMO pearson has the best chance of unseating him due to the fact that hes also a TUF winner and every fight hes been in in the UFC has been exciting. he has an in your face style and people tend to respond to that, but he hasnt had a win against a top fighter yet so everything im saying is based on him getting a "signature" win at some point down the road. the guy reminds me of guida in terms of intensity and almost anyone thats seen guida fight tends to become a fan of his, and i could see ross having the same thing happen with him.
emfleek
5/4/10 9:22:12AM
I'm with cowcatcher. He's absolutely the poster boy of MMA in the UK and it's not even close at this point.

Even as a hardcore fan, Bisping's name is the first that comes to mind when thinking about UK fighters.

Bisping
Hardy
Daley
Pearson

...in that order...for now.

And like it's been mentioned before..."poster boy" doesn't necessarily mean they're the most talented.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/4/10 6:53:12PM
Does it count if we just don't WANT him to be the poster boy of UK MMA? I'm definitely thinking that Hardy is creeping up on his status and should over-take him unless Bisping gets a win against top-tier competition.
MMAcca
5/8/10 5:22:03PM

Posted by SmileR

To the casual fan Bisping is like the Chuck of U.K MMA. Its not even close.
I have friends who could pick Bisping out of a line up of random sports personalities and say that Mike Bisping the UFC guy. Not one could pick out Hardy, Etim, Kelly, Daley, Taylor, AlTurk or Sass and they are the cream of the U.K crop.
Tallent wise their are guys who I'd rank ahead of him, mainly Eitm and maybe Daley but Bisping gets a hell of a lot of bad press, some deserving some not.

Regardless of what people think of him as a fighter he's fought some good people and won or took them to a close decision and I honestly can't see anyone overtaking him fame wise for a while.

For the record I'm not a huge fan of Bisping. But he is still with out doubt the face of U.K MMA, him or Alex Read....

What he said.

Although Alex 'The Reidernator' Reid is now by far the most famous 'cage fighter' in the UK. This is due to winning our version of 'Celebrity Big Brother' and being married to our version of Jenna Jameson (Katie 'Jordan' Price - google her, she's disgusting).
BustedKnuckle
5/9/10 8:44:51PM
As of right now Bisping is the poster boy for the UK. But he needs to win. And seeing as Dan Miller is going to really F@*% him up I think Hardy will step into the role of UK embassador. Daley is out...tool! Pearson, Kelly, and Winner have some ground to cover before they can claim top Brit in the UFC. IMO that is.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/9/10 10:12:02PM
We know that Daley isn't the poster boy of UK MMA anymore

Man, I still can't believe that Kos trashed the Canadiens in Montreal.
Pages: [1] 2