the fans of minnesota??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » the fans of minnesota??
prozacnation1978
8/10/08 10:42:04AM
is it me but didn't the audience at the event just wasn't into it
i noticed it off the bat, they weren't screaming, they were pretty tame even with lesnar won and came out he didn't cheer that loud for anyone. i have seen crowds go crazy, screaming their heads off, but the event last night when the fighters came out, and won they were pretty quite
candynuts
8/10/08 1:34:42PM
Interesting. I watched it on PPV and I thought the fans in Minnesota were very good. There were a lot of pops during Huerta, Lesnar, hell even The Body and Adrian Peterson. That and the fact that they did not boo that much (or at all).
The fans also appeared that they appreciated the Maia/MacDonald fight even though it was a ground fight, which amazed me and I was glad they did because it was a great ground battle.
nickcuc547
8/10/08 1:36:11PM

Posted by candynuts

Interesting. I watched it on PPV and I thought the fans in Minnesota were very good. There were a lot of pops during Huerta, Lesnar, hell even The Body and Adrian Peterson. That and the fact that they did not boo that much (or at all).
The fans also appeared that they appreciated the Maia/MacDonald fight even though it was a ground fight, which amazed me and I was glad they did because it was a great ground battle.

I agree, especially in the last three fights, they were going nuts.
mrkennedy
8/10/08 1:38:55PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

is it me but didn't the audience at the event just wasn't into it
i noticed it off the bat, they weren't screaming, they were pretty tame even with lesnar won and came out he didn't cheer that loud for anyone. i have seen crowds go crazy, screaming their heads off, but the event last night when the fighters came out, and won they were pretty quite

WTF!?!
Franklinfan47
8/10/08 1:50:39PM
I thought it was funny how they started off chanting "USA!, USA!" at the begginning of the fight then changed to "GSP!, GSP!" as soon as Fitch started getting his ass kicked. Typical.
candynuts
8/10/08 2:16:26PM
I heard that some fans cheered "USA, USA" During the MacDonald/Maia fight.
Jackelope
8/10/08 2:24:38PM
Wow I'm really surprised at this thread. I actually thought the Minnesota fans were some of the best I've heard. Rarely did they boo and they always seemed to cheer at appropriate times.
MFOTHER
8/10/08 2:52:27PM
i think it was just the thread starter, seemed into it to me.
Gipper
8/10/08 3:53:26PM
i thought the minnesota fans were awesome.
fonduktoe
8/10/08 4:39:04PM
i was at the fights and the crowd was fantastic
pdanke
8/10/08 4:46:48PM

Posted by fonduktoe

I was there too, I thought it was almost a Japanese-style crowd, if that makes sense. Minimal booing, very respectful and loud when it counted.
MALICE
8/10/08 8:45:10PM
That is what you should expect from the upper Midwest. Respectful and educated. I would know, I'm a Minnesotan

Couldn't go though, I was in a wedding
Rush
8/10/08 8:47:56PM

Posted by Jackelope

Wow I'm really surprised at this thread. I actually thought the Minnesota fans were some of the best I've heard. Rarely did they boo and they always seemed to cheer at appropriate times.

Pretty much what I would have said.
SociopathX
8/10/08 10:17:15PM
I wanted to go so badly... I just don't have the kind of money to spend on ground floor or lower lev seats... and I didn't want upper deck.

The fans went crazy for the home town fighters that's for sure.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/10/08 10:26:59PM
The only thing that bugged me was how quick they went from "GSP! GSP!" to "USA! USA!" to "GSP! GSP!"

Other than that, definitely one of the better crowds the UFC has seen in awhile.
MikeyG
8/10/08 10:55:12PM
I was there and the only thing that was WTF for me was how quiet the announcing was, I could barely hear Bruce sometimes not at all most of the time.

Kinda dumb that people are cheering for Brock just because hes from MN, just that "hes from here so I like him" mentality is just gross and cheering for Fitch at points because hes from the U.S. and not because your a fan (which shows your not really a Fitch fan) kinda ignorant and is a shame that is still among the sport.

Oh yeah and candynuts is right some were saying "USA" when mcdonald and maia were fighting until I reminded them jasons canadian, lol.

Wish Heath, Gusmao, and Huerta would have won and wasnt that great of a card in terms of results but I'm glad I went, Its awesome even in the back row, trust me guys, its still a good view, dont be spoiled.
Diamondback2
8/10/08 11:12:35PM
I was there and it is very interesting to day the least....

1st of all, there was alot of empty seats, I would guesstimate about 2k empty, so there was only 11-12k ppl there. If i remember correctly there was like 18k at 77 and that was louder.

The USA chant during Maia/McDonald was hilarious!!!! I couldn't believe it.

The crowd was way better than 77, ALOT less booing, even during the many decisions. Listen to Brock/Herring again, halfway through the intro it went from a boo to cheering. All booing was minimal.

The Andre/Jones fight recieved the most booing, it really looked like Andre faked the second knee to the groin so the fans had no respect for him after that, they actually started chanting "BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!!"

The crowd was INSANE for the last 4 fights (in this order): Huerta/Florian, Manny/Emerson, Brock//Herring, GSP/Fitch

Listen to GSP's, Brock's and Roger's intro's, they went apeshit.

The thing about the USA/GSP chant was about half the stadium was chanting GSP and half was chanting USA. In the arena it sounded like: "USP!!!! "GSA!!!" That's why it prolly sounded like that via PPV.

Very respectful crowd, was glad i attended the event.
pharside
8/10/08 11:15:08PM

Posted by pdanke

Posted by fonduktoe

I was there too, I thought it was almost a Japanese-style crowd, if that makes sense. Minimal booing, very respectful and loud when it counted.

I was thinking the same, kinda like a Pride/Dream crowd
Diamondback2
8/10/08 11:53:22PM
Just re-watched the Maia/McDonald fight with commentary, and it seemed like Goldberg and Rogan were both surprised.

At the end of round one Goldy said something along the lines of "RD 1, All Submissions, All Sumission Attempts, All Sub Escapes... and everybody's on thier feet here tonight.

At the end of Rd 2 Rogan said sumitn like "And Mike, listen to everyone cheering in this audience."

Was very Japan like crowd, almost no booing (except for the first 2 fights).

I just cant remember the last time i heard those two say that about a basically grappling match.

Watch pretty much any UFC 77 fight and you will see the diffrence.
ncordless
8/11/08 12:35:09AM
I was there... and there was some definite booing for Herring and Florian at their entrance. No suprise tho' as they were hometown fighters. I thought the crowd was great. There were some empty seats, but I'd put the total attendance at approx. 15,000. It was the highest grossing event in Target Center history. It definitely wasn't quiet in there, and I felt like the crowd showed itself to be extremely good mannered and enthusiastic. There would be an occasional boo bird when things went to the ground, but I witnessed two times where that boo bird was shouted down by the surrounding crowd as being an idiot and unknowledgable.
allmotormark
8/12/08 1:12:05AM
I really can't stand people cheering "USA" that bugs me ALOT
gives me the impression that there are a bunch of drunk hicks watching these matches.

It's not about canada, brazil or USA its about the fighters cheer for the fighter you like but leave the USA vs the world crap for CNN.

Diamondback2
8/12/08 1:52:01AM
i disagree.

in the case of Fitch, it's really hard to get a chant of "Fitch" going.

USA is easy.

Im the case of Maia/McDonald it made alot of sense, McDonald is really hard to chant, until you realize Jason is canadian.......
allmotormark
8/12/08 12:45:14PM

Posted by Diamondback2

Im the case of Maia/McDonald it made alot of sense, McDonald is really hard to chant, until you realize Jason is canadian.......

haha too funny at first i was like isn't maia from brazil?? LOL
crushedbacon
8/12/08 8:28:35PM
The only reason I'm commenting on this thread is that I remember watching the fights and thinking what a sweet crowd man. Hardly any booing and they got loud and excited at appropriate times, good indicator of mma knowledge. So much better than the loud ass booing, pretty much anytime somebodies not getting knocked out. Booing totally destroys the event vibe for me.......Booing Amount is definitely correlated with class.

*** and not the socioeconomic class. The important version.