fans deserve a new MMA database

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » fans deserve a new MMA database
AchillesHeel
4/7/11 9:38:38AM
I have had it up to here with Sherdog's unresponsive website. I don't know why they can't get their [crap] together and maintain a server that doesn't party like it's 1999, but the next site that can maintain a half-decent MMA database will get all of my business. ESPN, where are you?

grappler0000
4/7/11 11:05:02AM
I hear ya, man. I don't see ESPN being the one to do it though...at least not for some time. I think that was one of their main reasons for partnering with Sherdog, was to have full access to their DB.
Budgellism
4/7/11 11:12:08AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I have had it up to here with Sherdog's unresponsive website. I don't know why they can't get their [crap] together and maintain a server that doesn't party like it's 1999, but the next site that can maintain a half-decent MMA database will get all of my business. ESPN, where are you?

For now, unfortunately Sherdog is the best database to use. I'm positive in the next couple of years a newer, more accurate, better managed database will emerge but for now we all have to live with it.
State_Champ
4/7/11 11:42:34AM
Sherdog works for me...

What are the issues with Sherdog's data base?
AchillesHeel
4/7/11 11:51:54AM

Posted by State_Champ

Sherdog works for me...

What are the issues with Sherdog's data base?

It's really freaking slow. I tried looking something up this morning, and it timed out, which is not simply "not uncommon" for that site, it's pretty much the norm. Their servers blow like a hurricane, or their IT people ride the short bus to school, or something. It's 20-freaking-11, and their site has been live for years. [Crap] should have been worked out by now.

Like I say, the next person who puts up a good database to compete with theirs will be the site that I go to.
AchillesHeel
4/7/11 11:54:12AM
As a related aside, the April Fool's story on NPR this year was about "the slow internet movement" - people who advocate for using dial-up instead of broadband, like some kind of Zen Web. It was pretty funny.
grappler0000
4/7/11 11:58:03AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

As a related aside, the April Fool's story on NPR this year was about "the slow internet movement" - people who advocate for using dial-up instead of broadband, like some kind of Zen Web. It was pretty funny.

Speaking of April Fool's...did anyone catch FightMetric's?
AchillesHeel
4/7/11 12:13:36PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by AchillesHeel

Speaking of April Fool's...did anyone catch FightMetric's?

Ha. Nice.
TS92turbo
4/7/11 12:55:56PM
I dont bother with Sherdog. Wikipedia has good record info, and decent fighter info.
grappler0000
4/7/11 1:20:21PM

Posted by TS92turbo

I dont bother with Sherdog. Wikipedia has good record info, and decent fighter info.

Your technically getting second hand Sherdog. Not sure if that's better or worse though.
grappler0000
4/7/11 2:34:48PM
And while were on the topic of Sherdog's DB, I don't understand why they don't offer a more robust name search. Why when I search for Nathan Diaz does it not know that I'm looking for Nate Diaz? Again, 2011, this shouldn't be an issue.