Were the UFC 81 fans booing Tyson Griffin? Or Randy Couture?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Were the UFC 81 fans booing Tyson Griffin? Or Randy Couture?
AchillesHeel
2/3/08 10:44:51AM
I noticed during the Griffin-Tibau fight that Randy was cornering Griffin and that the camera was pointedly avoiding showing him onscreen. During the post-fight interview, I couldn't help but wonder if the fans were reacting to Randy, who was in the Octagon with the rest of Griffin's team.
tuvok500
2/3/08 10:52:58AM
Well, the fight was boring in many ways, and i think they were booing Tyson himself .

pdanke
2/3/08 11:03:11AM
The camera was definitely avoiding Randy, but I think the crowd is tired of Tyson decisions. He needs to finish a fight if he's going to be a contender.
Rush
2/3/08 11:21:26AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I noticed during the Griffin-Tibau fight that Randy was cornering Griffin and that the camera was pointedly avoiding showing him onscreen. During the post-fight interview, I couldn't help but wonder if the fans were reacting to Randy, who was in the Octagon with the rest of Griffin's team.

Regardless of why they were booing, the people that were booing are idiots.
AchillesHeel
2/3/08 11:43:55AM

Posted by Rush

I agree. There aren't many times when I've thought the booing UFC crowds weren't just being morons.
postman
2/3/08 11:52:12AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Rush

I agree. There aren't many times when I've thought the booing UFC crowds weren't just being morons.

tuvok500
2/3/08 11:53:32AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by AchillesHeel

Canadian's fans will be more respectfull i think, well maybe not with Serra's entrance !! lol

hippysmacker
2/3/08 12:45:45PM

Posted by tuvok500

Well, the fight was boring in many ways, and i think they were booing Tyson himself .

Completely disagree. While it wasn't the barnburner he had with Edgar/Guida, it was still a very good fight IMO, and I I think his apologizing only encouraged the idiots in their boos. Sometime when the crowd is booing, it is not even about what's going on on the octagon, as is the possible case with Randuy being booed. I have been at a live show and their was a absolute war going on for 3 straight minutes, then the fans started booing in that last minute of great action. Finally I turned around to see what they were booing about. 2 hot chicks had been flashing the crowd, one not so hot chick had started insulting them, and then all 3 got into a cat fight. Whether they were booing the flashing stoppage, the poor cat fighting, or security ending the whole debacle I don't know. I do know that they weren't paying attention to the great action in the ring, and my stupidity in looking away and joining them , cost me seeing the live KO. They could have been booing Randy, but I doubt many of the people at a live show are diehard fans enough to even know he''s gone. In my experience over half the people at shows are just casual fans, but that could also explain why the boos were only scattered. So in the end while i wish Griffin and tried to finish strong, I enjoyed the fight a lot, an really wish he wouldn't give the idiots fuel by apologizing. Just my opinion of course.
ohiostate1016
2/3/08 1:14:10PM
I think they were booing because that was the wrong decision. Griffin did zero damage but got the benefit of the doubt because they NVAC uses boxing judges to score the fights in the UFC. He was hitting Tibau right on the button but the punches weren't even fazing him.

Plus, Griffin, the "top-notch wrestler," was taken down at will about 9 or 10 times in that fight by Tibau. I had the fight 29-28 for Gleison, but what do I know?
EliasG
2/3/08 1:47:21PM
It seems to me that most UFC fight fans that show up at their events know next to nothing about MMA. They have favorites and they cheer for them but here in the US they'll only cheer for their favorites. They were cheering footstomps for goodness sake and they booed parts of the Lidell v. Silva fight and that was just two guys wining punches the whole time.

I ignore them. I'd rather listen to the Canadian crowds. At least when the fans their show up they actually know what they are watching.
SmileR
2/3/08 2:34:14PM

Posted by Rush

I agree man!
Rush
2/3/08 2:41:47PM

Posted by tuvok500

Canadian's fans will be more respectfull i think, well maybe not with Serra's entrance !! lol

Well, all I can say is that I sure hope so. I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the fans in Montreal will be that much different, but I hope so.

I don't have anything against booing a guy coming in, but I don't like booing during the fight or after the fight, unless they are booing the fact that one of the fighters cheated. i.e. a cheap shot or something very disrespectful
ocho-cinco
2/3/08 2:44:59PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I think they were booing because that was the wrong decision. Griffin did zero damage but got the benefit of the doubt because they NVAC uses boxing judges to score the fights in the UFC. He was hitting Tibau right on the button but the punches weren't even fazing him.

Plus, Griffin, the "top-notch wrestler," was taken down at will about 9 or 10 times in that fight by Tibau. I had the fight 29-28 for Gleison, but what do I know?

If someone gets hit on the button, that will score points regarless of weather the guy looks like he got hurt or not. And if Gleison had done anything with all thoes take downs, or at least kept Griffin on the ground for more then a few seconds then he would have scored more points. But the fact is he wasn't really controlling where the fight took place because the most significant dammage from either fighter was done on there feet, and Griffin clearly had the edge standing. And anytime Griffin was taken down, he would get back up right away, just as easily as he had been taken down, so really Griffin controlled where the fight was, and landed the better shots.....this is just how I saw it, but I can see where your coming from, because it's not often a guy gets taken down that much and that easily and still wins a decision.
loonytnt
2/3/08 3:35:57PM
i thin why they were booing is because maybe they think the other won...he had standup and a lot more takedowns so idk but i think thats why
Gipper
2/3/08 4:30:42PM

Posted by tuvok500

come on dude. there is no way this fight was boring. griffin has never been in a boring fight and probably never will be.
gartface
2/3/08 4:35:14PM
I loved this fight, and I can't see any reason for the fans to boo. Just because it wasn't a super quick sub/KO, the fans out there didn't like it. I love decisions, especially when they're filled with action like all of Tyson Griffin's fights.
Stickan
2/3/08 5:11:36PM
Most casual MMA fans truly are disgusting. Whatever reason they thought they had for booing either Randy or Tyson they should be put in the ground for it.

Neither can I believe people who thought the fight was boring and that Griffin not being able to finish his latest fights makes him boring. Complete idiots.
Look at who he's fought recently:
Thiago Tavares - The fight was thought as one of the best fights of the card and by some even of the year. Tavares is also a top ranked LW and not really that easy to finish just like that. It's not like Griffin didn't try.
Clay Guida - Ever heard of this guy? He just recently beat Marcus Aurelio and lost a close fight to Huerta. This fight too was a fight of the year candidate. Guida...not an easy guy to finish either.
Frankie Edgar - My fav fight of 07 and nobody has ever come closer to finishing Frankie than Griffin.

I guess you're all entitled to an opinion but my opinion is that everyone who sees Tyson Griffin as a boring fighter is retarded and worst case of an MMA fan.

Ohiostate┬┤s point about NSAC using boxing judges is also damn stupid since UFC's been in Nevada since day one and the argument used to be "Why are judges awarding fighters so much for doing takedowns and zero damage?".
Gleison landed two short punches when Griffin was getting up but apart from that he did NOTHING with the takedowns and Griffin usually got up almost immediately. Griffin also had the more effective stand-up without a doubt and in the third, Tibau looked hesitant to engage.

jgtribbett
2/3/08 7:33:42PM

Posted by pdanke

The camera was definitely avoiding Randy, but I think the crowd is tired of Tyson decisions. He needs to finish a fight if he's going to be a contender.

yes they are, and not only finish an opponent but actually ******* win one. i dont know how the first round went to tyson. .. no way. tibau had a couple take downs and tyson won one exchange.. b s in my opinion.. i wanted him to win.. but not so indecisivelly... he never proves he's better than anyone
hippysmacker
2/3/08 11:23:36PM
Personally i thought Griffin clearly won that fight. I even rewatched it, after reading some post in this thread, and I feel even more strongly Griffin won. In the first round he landed about 3 to 1 on the feet, and Tibua did nothing with his takedowns, so i don't give them much credence, I guess the judges probably felt the same way.
StevenSeagal
2/3/08 11:27:46PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by tuvok500

Completely disagree. While it wasn't the barnburner he had with Edgar/Guida, it was still a very good fight IMO, and I I think his apologizing only encouraged the idiots in their boos. Sometime when the crowd is booing, it is not even about what's going on on the octagon, as is the possible case with Randuy being booed. I have been at a live show and their was a absolute war going on for 3 straight minutes, then the fans started booing in that last minute of great action. Finally I turned around to see what they were booing about. 2 hot chicks had been flashing the crowd, one not so hot chick had started insulting them, and then all 3 got into a cat fight. Whether they were booing the flashing stoppage, the poor cat fighting, or security ending the whole debacle I don't know. I do know that they weren't paying attention to the great action in the ring, and my stupidity in looking away and joining them , cost me seeing the live KO. They could have been booing Randy, but I doubt many of the people at a live show are diehard fans enough to even know he''s gone. In my experience over half the people at shows are just casual fans, but that could also explain why the boos were only scattered. So in the end while i wish Griffin and tried to finish strong, I enjoyed the fight a lot, an really wish he wouldn't give the idiots fuel by apologizing. Just my opinion of course.

word i agree... I still thought that was a good fight. theres nothing wrong with decisions if it was a good fight all the way through. It just means the fight maker was doing his job correctly... People get pissed if they see a 20 second KO, and people get pissed when they see decisions... If its lay n pray decisions all the time i could see. It really just comes down to fair weather MMA fans not getting what they think they should get. Nog Fedor fights were prob 2 of my favorite fights and they were decisions. who gives a s*it... How about they ban BJJ and deduct points for using the cage... and every fight they have to just bang it out until one falls... Is that what people want?? people are retarded lol
atlas777
2/4/08 11:18:26AM
Why should getting a takedown and not doing anything with it get you anypoints, all you do is prove that you can take the guy down but if you cant keep him there establish any kind of offense or do anything with that takedown then it is worthless if a guy just keeps popping up when you take him down then you arent actually doing anything at all. Griffin handily outstruck tibau all through the fight and the fact that he got taken down is irrelevant becuase tibau couldnt keep him there to do any kind of damage at all. There isnt anyway i could watch that fight and see that tibau had won any round in any way it was griffin all night long he got the win so stop whining,
AchillesHeel
2/4/08 11:40:55AM

Posted by atlas777

Why should getting a takedown and not doing anything with it get you anypoints, all you do is prove that you can take the guy down but if you cant keep him there establish any kind of offense or do anything with that takedown then it is worthless if a guy just keeps popping up when you take him down then you arent actually doing anything at all. Griffin handily outstruck tibau all through the fight and the fact that he got taken down is irrelevant becuase tibau couldnt keep him there to do any kind of damage at all. There isnt anyway i could watch that fight and see that tibau had won any round in any way it was griffin all night long he got the win so stop whining,

While I agree that Griffin won the fight, and that it wasn't boring, I think getting a takedown should absolutely be worth points, even if you don't follow it up with anything. Taking someone down is successfully executing an attacking maneuver against your opponent, just like punching them. A punch doesn't have to do anything by itself to be worth a point.

Incidentally, I find it ironic that someone with a Sean Sherk avatar is saying that takedowns aren't, or shouldn't be, worth anything by themselves.
telnights
2/4/08 5:44:59PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Personally i thought Griffin clearly won that fight. I even rewatched it, after reading some post in this thread, and I feel even more strongly Griffin won. In the first round he landed about 3 to 1 on the feet, and Tibua did nothing with his takedowns, so i don't give them much credence, I guess the judges probably felt the same way.

I also think it was a good fight. I would have liked to see more ground work out of Griffin but he didn't really need to as he was dominating on his feet.
Bizaboom
2/5/08 12:40:37AM
NatedawgThaM
2/5/08 12:57:01AM
I think they were booing the decision. I doubt they are diehard fans and Randy is a UFC hero to the casual fan so they weren't booing him unless they watch the interviews with Dana and Randy throwing shots at one another.

They are idiots but I do agree with the booing. I myself thought Tyson won a SPLIT decision. I expect at least one judge giving it to Tibau. I don't agree with booing but I would have boo'd too because of the scorecards. 30-27? WTF WERE THE JUDGES SEEING?

Tyson clearly won round one with his striking. But I think Tibau CLEARLY won round 2. He landed some good shots on the feet and got the takedowns. Too me he was more aggressive and had more octagon control. Round 3 was pretty hard to judge. I could see it going either way.

Another clear example of bullshit round scoring. Boo on for that. But for Tyson winning and it being boring? That's freakin' retarded because if they boo him they should boo Tito which they don't.
hippysmacker
2/5/08 1:11:48AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by atlas777

While I agree that Griffin won the fight, and that it wasn't boring, I think getting a takedown should absolutely be worth points, even if you don't follow it up with anything. Taking someone down is successfully executing an attacking maneuver against your opponent, just like punching them. A punch doesn't have to do anything by itself to be worth a point.

Incidentally, I find it ironic that someone with a Sean Sherk avatar is saying that takedowns aren't, or shouldn't be, worth anything by themselves.

Personally I think a takedown should be worth something, whether you do anything with it or not, but not much if you can't do anything . I also think escapes and sweeps should be given equal worth. As for Sherk , IMO he does a lot with his takedowns. He passes, throws his short armed shots and elbows, and even goes for the occasional sub on the ground. I think his short arms make his punches less effective than some others, but I also think they help him avoid subs.
KYGUY07
2/5/08 8:35:04AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

zephead
2/5/08 11:06:22AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

If we take your approach to scoring the fight. Tibau got 9 or 10 takedowns, did nothing with them and Griffin escaped everytime. So the takedowns or null and voided by the escapes. So then score the fight from there. You said that Griffin was hitting Tibau right on the button but the punches weren't even fazing him. so that is where the scoring of the fight comes from. Griffin was the agressor.

Desicion Griffin
prozacnation1978
2/5/08 12:05:39PM
i watched it, thought griffin won but not by 30-27 tibau kept taking him down, did stand with him never was in any danger, good fight but not the best of griffin i did see them booing, i saw randy but i doubt they booed him, i think the fans just expect a little more fight of the night from griffin. hey a wins a win
AchillesHeel
2/5/08 12:11:53PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Personally I think a takedown should be worth something, whether you do anything with it or not, but not much if you can't do anything . I also think escapes and sweeps should be given equal worth. As for Sherk , IMO he does a lot with his takedowns. He passes, throws his short armed shots and elbows, and even goes for the occasional sub on the ground. I think his short arms make his punches less effective than some others, but I also think they help him avoid subs.

Posted by zephead

If we take your approach to scoring the fight. Tibau got 9 or 10 takedowns, did nothing with them and Griffin escaped everytime. So the takedowns or null and voided by the escapes. So then score the fight from there. You said that Griffin was hitting Tibau right on the button but the punches weren't even fazing him. so that is where the scoring of the fight comes from. Griffin was the agressor.

Desicion Griffin

I also didn't think the Griffin-Tibau fight was dull. It wasn't the barn-burner that Griffin-Guida was, but how many fights live up to that standard?