Fans that boo the ground game..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fans that boo the ground game..
Next Page »
slapshot
4/1/09 9:33:07PM
I really hate it when fans boo fights. I don't know that the UFC can do anything about it, probably not and I guess if I payed 2000 for seat Id be hoping to see some KO's too but the boo's are lame.

I like the ground game and I wish more fans could respect that aspect of MMA.

Franklinfan47
4/2/09 12:23:22AM

But yes, they do suck.
C02
4/2/09 12:30:53AM
It's cause the fans want to see a KO and most are drunk. Heck I'm a submission person though I love seeing submissions more than KO's.
postman
4/2/09 12:49:47AM
They are not fans then. They are simply ppl drinking beer watching a fight
loller90278
4/2/09 12:52:25AM
we should start booing the stand up game
seanfu
4/2/09 12:58:45AM

Posted by loller90278

BOOOOOO (kick to the head with a return haymaker) BOOOOOOO

But I have to admitt when I'm wasted I can barely follow the standup let alone the clinch or ground transitions. And I train MMA/Jittz, so that means something.
breakdown5
4/2/09 1:26:00AM
It is lame and its gonna happen until the "casual" fan becomes a little more educated on all the aspects of the sport.

As a proud hardcore fan (as a lot of the posters on this site are), it is annoying when fans boo a fight, but its like the above post said, most of the live viewers are drunk, casual fans who don't get it yet. Eventually they will come around and will criticize the next generation of fan that boos whenever there isn't a loss of conscience from one fighter or another. It is a vicious cycle..............
BelXavier420
4/2/09 1:36:22AM

Posted by slapshot

I really hate it when fans boo fights. I don't know that the UFC can do anything about it, probably not and I guess if I payed 2000 for seat Id be hoping to see some KO's too but the boo's are lame.

I like the ground game and I wish more fans could respect that aspect of MMA.

After just being at the UFN 18 in Nashville I can say I was suprised that no one Boo'ed unless the fighters stalemated. I am sure at lot of it had to due with it being the first UFC event in the area, but when a fighter switched to full guard or attempted a submission the crowd went nuts. Only Boo's I heard that may have been uncalled for (I am guilty as well ) were when Junie entered.
mkiv9secsupra
4/2/09 1:57:03AM
I really hate it but the fact is that the drunk idiot community are the ones with most of the tickets and they still believe the sport has zero rules. They are idiots yes, but there is nothing much we can do about it.

Drunk rednecks suck!!! and thats about 95% of my family. i wish i could roundhouse kick them all in the jaw!! lol
coldchillin
4/2/09 2:47:31AM
yes it is lame when the fans boo when the ground game is being very technical but on another note the UFC should adapt the Pride rules where fighters would be yellow-carded and have some of their purse reduced for stalling. I'm sick of seeing fighters stall on the ground or watching a fight like Guida-Diaz where one of the fighters is basically hold on for dear life because they don't want to fight. I don't blame Guida though it's clearly legal for him to do it in the rules but I feel like a lot of the stalling would cease if UFC adapted the Pride rule. It will never happen though.
AussiePride
4/2/09 2:57:36AM
Yea man im with you. I like an exciting submission fight just as much as a standup battle. Fans shouldnt boo the ground game.
cmill21
4/2/09 4:16:27AM

Posted by AussiePride

Yea man im with you. I like an exciting submission fight just as much as a standup battle. Fans shouldnt boo the ground game.

I like submissions and exciting action packed GnP, but right now there are quite a few fighters thats are takedown and grind you out guys. They bore me.
CwB
4/2/09 5:31:05AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by AussiePride

I like submissions and exciting action packed GnP, but right now there are quite a few fighters thats are takedown and grind you out guys. They bore me.

ryan bader got booed for not having a great offense while controlling carmello

i didnt hear any boos when kampman and condit were rolling

plus people also seem to forget all to often how many boos there are when a standup match isnt very exciting

most of the time boos come when there isnt much action taking place whether it is standing or on the mat

P.S. those booing fans outnumber us 1000 to 1 and are the reason this sport is so successful. Its a double edged sword i hate em but i need there money to keep the sport i love alive
prozacnation1978
4/2/09 10:44:12AM
fans boo the ground game cause they don't no a damm thing about mma

i have been to enough of these events every damm one of them i have people around me who don't even know the fighters on the main card of the show let alone the prelims it's sad

why pay alot of money for a sport u don't know anything about
babytater03
4/2/09 1:26:19PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by AussiePride

I couldn't agree more. Guida hugging a victory will get me boo'ing everytime. I'm NOT the casual fan for any respect. And i love grappling, ground, submission attempts. LOVE them. But hugging to a victory i smell coming from a mile away on some guys.

The problem is () MMA has become "the thing" in the world. And a majority of the people who are exposed to MMA are douches who'll think they're better than you cause they have a beer in their hand and the newest Affliction shirt on.

Just remember, real fans, like those on this site, are our peers and we DO appreciate all aspects of MMA.

Screw the casual fan, enjoy a beer on me and go take a hike.
KaibaThedon
4/2/09 1:36:46PM
I boo'ed at UFC 94

Karo vs Dong Hyun Kim

brutal match
loller90278
4/2/09 3:35:28PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

I boo'ed at UFC 94

Karo vs Dong Hyun Kim

brutal match

then you're not a true fan of mixed martial arts. That fight was a good showing of Judo and was very close.
slapshot
4/2/09 3:46:36PM
There are fighters that you know are going to try to lay N pray and I agree its anticlimactic but if you know its coming and you still cant stop it then you're losing the fight because he's better at that aspect of the game and is able to force you into it.

I dont want the UFC to go to the card system, I dont like the idea of a fighter being carded for avoiding the other fighters strengths. If I can take you down and lay on you for three rounds then thats on you not me, is it slow? yes, is it exciting ? no, but it is legitimate IMO.

Wolfenstein
4/2/09 3:54:06PM
Although I'm not a big fan of LnP, I agree with Rogan's assessment..."If a guy can hold you down and give you nuggies for 5 minutes, that's life. If a fighter is boring they won't be popular, and that lack of popularity will affect the way they're paid."
hindsightufuk
4/2/09 5:46:02PM
i personally would never boo a fighter, but i think the 'at home' version of booing is fast forwarding thru a fight. like the ryan badher fight, i thought it was boring as fook, felt like booing but instead skipped to the inevitable decision.
i love watching the ground game, and i know a lot of people see wrestling in mma differentley, but that fight sucked big time. i love ju jitsu, judo, back and forth grappling, but a dominant wrestler in top position for three rounds unable to finish a fight is of no interest to me.
JBatch
4/3/09 2:14:21AM
Japanese fans rule lol. The UFC showcases such high calibre athletes that fans should respect the athletes and appreciate the event they are witnessing. That said people pay a lot of money some expecting to see action, and in some cases like Starnes vs. Quarry they have every right to boo.
JimiMak
4/3/09 3:11:04PM
I hate when fans boo just cuz it goes to the ground. (tho I try to keep in mind how many lose view of the action)

I don't mind when they boo stalemates or fighters they don't like. In America we boo all sports. We usually boo the opposing teams best players, it's kind of a sign of respect in that way and that way alone. We (just talking americans in general) boo political speeches, ball games that we're having a great time at.... Hell, Bruce Springsteen just did an interview on Letterman where he said he still gets booed sometimes and that even the biggest fan doesn't always like what he has to say. He doesn't change his set or what he says tho he just lets them have their opinion.
bls1919
4/3/09 7:07:53PM
Any person that would boo during a fight is not a fan. Nor do they have any respect for the men fighting. Most would be ignorant of the sport and most likely their own retardation
AussiePride
4/5/09 5:18:36AM

Posted by hindsightufuk

i personally would never boo a fighter, but i think the 'at home' version of booing is fast forwarding thru a fight. like the ryan badher fight, i thought it was boring as fook, felt like booing but instead skipped to the inevitable decision.
i love watching the ground game, and i know a lot of people see wrestling in mma differentley, but that fight sucked big time. i love ju jitsu, judo, back and forth grappling, but a dominant wrestler in top position for three rounds unable to finish a fight is of no interest to me.

agreed
DILLS94
4/5/09 5:36:13AM
Ground game is good to watch, but when its a 3 round boring wrestling match with no submissions attempted or damaging GnP then i'll be booing aswell.
If your going to take your opponent to the ground then make something happen don't just lay on them.
innovater450
4/9/09 1:07:54PM
MMA=MIXED martial arts...i think thats what alot of idiots dont understand (including this dude i met a a bar the other night who didnt know what m.m.a. stood for, but he sure as hell had a tapout shirt on!!!!!!)......I love to see when a fight goes to the ground. Its a skillful art that takes time and patience........I wld never disrespect a fighter unless its a blatent stall.....those guys put too much time and effort in to get boo'd
mrsmiley
4/10/09 8:31:52AM

Posted by loller90278

That would be funny as hell.
I could only imagine the strange looks we would get.
haggiswashere
4/11/09 6:22:10PM
I bugs me but it bugs me just as much when Joe Rogan bashes the standup game. He will call a fighter one dimensional when they don't go for takedowns but will call fighters who have A game bjj and D of F level standup amazing. it gets old. Its probably because he understands the ground game better but still. To be honest I would not know much about the ground game if not for his commentating but I wish they got a commentator who was better at knowing the standup to sit with him. I get tired of "good right hand" when it could be a hook, a cross, a jab, a straight, or whatever. But oh well. Sorry for the rant.....
mentalcase
4/12/09 3:20:30AM

Posted by haggiswashere

I bugs me but it bugs me just as much when Joe Rogan bashes the standup game. He will call a fighter one dimensional when they don't go for takedowns but will call fighters who have A game bjj and D of F level standup amazing. it gets old. Its probably because he understands the ground game better but still. To be honest I would not know much about the ground game if not for his commentating but I wish they got a commentator who was better at knowing the standup to sit with him. I get tired of "good right hand" when it could be a hook, a cross, a jab, a straight, or whatever. But oh well. Sorry for the rant.....

when has joe ever bashed the stand up, and he knows plenty about the stand up he was a tea kwon doo champ, and rogan will be the first to say that it not the bast stand up to incorporate with mma but he still an all round mma expert annalist

and seriously who give a **** that his biased toward some fighter when your the commentator for the best fight org on the planet u can be too
Kpro
4/12/09 4:53:37AM
Some fans pay $45 for 3 KO's ($15 per KO)

and other pays $45 for a card of quality fights ( <$1 per minute)

If I paid $15 per KO rather than $1 per MMA minute, I'd probably boo too.

But it's all because of uneducated fans that think highlight reels ARE MMA.

a $15/min fan boo's, a <$1/min fan cheers.
Pages: [1] 2