Fairtex Rant

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Fairtex Rant
Jackelope
6/21/08 1:59:22PM
So now that I've been training pretty much full time again I decided to invest in some new equipment. It's led me on a rant-

I've always heard people talk about how great Fairtex gear is. I decided I'd splurge and spend the extra dough on some fairtex pro style shin pads. I go to their website and bam- no large size in stock.

So I look up dealers in my area- none.

So I look up dealers in adjacent towns- none.

So I decide to call their store number- no answer.

Mind you I live in Phoenix- the 7th largest city in America, the home of many top notch gyms (RITC training center, AZ Combat Sports, the MMA Lab) and the city which had the very first Fairtex gym in America.

I'm not going to be able to buy these pads despite my every effort to do otherwise. I'm sick of straps breaking on other shit gear and every professional retailer selling shit equipment as far as MMA goes. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, Sport's Authority, Big 5, and local boxing gyms. Nothing worth a shit.

In looking for alternatives I come across brands like TapouT, and random other "Look at me, I'm a fighter, aren't I bad ass?!" type gear. All of this gear from a cursory glance looks like complete shit- not to mention over priced as hell. I'm just so sick of this sport being surrounded at every angle by this kind of crap. Even Everlast's MMA gear looks like crap. The straps for their shin guards look like they'd rip right off the first time the guard gets hung up on anything.

The best I tried out that is available in mass quantities is Combat Sports Gear shin pads. At least theirs have a wet suit type back to hold it onto the leg. Still, a leather strap or something a bit more robust would be desirable. Also, a bit more protection up higher on the shin would be nice. So it looks like I'll go with those. Needless to say I'm highly disappointed in the MMA equipment market in general, and specifically with Fairtex's lack of availability despite obviously having the market cornered in the quality department.

Rush
6/21/08 2:39:20PM
I guess that's what happens when a sport becomes too big, too fast. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and produces various products to make a quick buck.

I wish I could point you in the right direction as to where to get quality equipment, but I have little experience in buying martial arts equipment as far as names go. If I see something I can usually tell if it is quality.

One thing I can say, and you probably already know this, is stay away from superstores. They buy cheap stuff to sell it off more cheap. If I were you, try to find what you want and buy it over the internet. Even if you have to pay shipping, it may be worth not dealing with the hassle of finding a local seller.

don't be afraid to check out eBay.

eBay search results for fairtex shin pads
bullettdodger
6/21/08 3:18:47PM
Maybe if you know someone that you trust in another area where there is a fairtex dealer you could pay them to get it and ship it to you. Just a thought, kinda a lame plan though lol
6/21/08 4:48:17PM
Fairtex Definatly has top quality stuff, but like you i have a hard time finding it around where I live. See if you can order stuff through the place you train at for any cheaper price, or just order it online.

I know what you mean about TapouT and all those other Cheezy brand's too. But like you said Combat Sports International has some good stuff on there site, and it isn't just there brand either witch is nice. I just got Shin pads and shorts from there for a decent price and Shipping wasn't too much.
Mastodon2
6/21/08 5:50:40PM
Have you tired ordering online?

I use nothing but Fairtex and Twins gear. Twins shorts and cup, Fairtex Shinguards and wraps. Oh and a Shock doctor Mouth guard, but then Twins and Fairtex dont make those!
Omega
6/22/08 1:15:42AM
Hate Fairtex. Always thought they were over rated. I usually go with Revgear.
Omega
6/22/08 1:16:10AM

Posted by Mastodon2

I use nothing but Fairtex and Twins gear. Twins shorts and cup, Fairtex Shinguards and wraps. Oh and a Shock doctor Mouth guard, but then Twins and Fairtex dont make those!

Twins are nice too.
The-Don
6/22/08 10:32:13AM
never used fairtex... I have used twins in the past they were always good.. Right now I am using basic Title stuff and like it.. along with some Everlast stuff... so far no problems
Jackelope
6/22/08 5:40:19PM

Posted by Omega

Hate Fairtex. Always thought they were over rated. I usually go with Revgear.

Revgear definitely makes much better heavy bags. We have Fairtex and Revgear bags at my gym and though they've seen the same use over time the Revgears are holding up much, much better.
Jackelope
6/22/08 5:42:20PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Yeah I tried ordering online. They don't even have any larges to sell.. that's how this whole problem got started.

To the others hating on Fairtex- the main reason why I like Fairtex's style of shin guards is for the strap supports on the back. Honestly there's a lot of shin guards out there that have good fronts, but it's the integrity of the backs that drive me nuts.
Omega
6/23/08 8:03:14PM
Really? My Revgear bags aren't holding up. I go with pro when it comes to bags.
Jackelope
6/23/08 8:48:25PM

Posted by Omega

Really? My Revgear bags aren't holding up. I go with pro when it comes to bags.

Strange... I wonder if you have the same edition that we have. The seams on the side of the fairtex bags are tearing out and the revgears have that thick ass cover that doesn't seem to be phased at all. The Fairtex that are tearing have the smooth leather outside.

I drove about 20 miles out of my way to a store today that had Fairtex shin guards. They were perfect, but they only had XL's. Checked all the other places in town for the other brands you guys mentioned- Twins and all of that. Still no dice. What a joke.

cmill21
6/24/08 12:20:48AM
May I recommend this site...Bought lots from here. I have two sets of twins gloves and one pair of shins, both are holding up great, all purchased from that site. They came in good time.
Jackelope
6/24/08 9:57:05AM

Posted by cmill21

May I recommend this site...Bought lots from here. I have two sets of twins gloves and one pair of shins, both are holding up great, all purchased from that site. They came in good time.

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out and it's great to have a reference.
Jackelope
6/25/08 10:48:22PM
Okay update here-

I finally got the Fairtex shin pads. I used them today for the first time and loved em. The dude I was training with had on some shitty ones and my leg is all beat the hell up from him. His leg- good to go.

Thanks to a local guy who's got an internet site he's setting up. The dude's name is Shane and he's well connected in the MMA scene. He was a cool mofo and he gave me a great price. So if you're ever interested in buying some stuff online check out-

http://www.ragenglory.com/

I know it's a shameless plug, but the guy met me halfway driving his gas guzzler truck over 25 miles and he still gave me a $15 discount. Cool ass dude.