Who do you think faces the winner of Penn/Stevenson?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who do you think faces the winner of Penn/Stevenson?
POLL: Who should face the winner of Penn/Stevenson? (and Sherk's suspension holds.)
Kenny Florian 38% (14)
Frank Edgar 14% (5)
Spencer Fisher 22% (8)
Roger Huerta 22% (8)
Clay Guida 5% (2)
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 1:20:12AM
As might be known already, the lightweight division is my favorite. Though I seem to have a difference in opinions to other posters, because I believe that Kenny Florian should get an immediate title shot upon the completion of the Penn/Stevenson. Others have said the winner of Huerta/Guida, some have said the winner of Fisher/Edgar. If Sherk's suspension is stopped, then I think Sherk should face the winner first, but if not, I think Kenny should.

Kenny is on quite a winning streak. The closest person I believe to having a shot at the title out of the four of Huerta, Guida, Fisher, and Edgar, is Edgar. With a victory over Tyson Griffin, out of the four, he's the most impressive, and in my opinion has the best chance of the four to beat Sherk, or Penn/Stevenson. The next is Guida, for his performance against Griffin, and for beating Aurelio. Then Huerta, for his wins over Dent, Halverson, Garcia, Evans and Crane. Though he has the largest win streak of the five in the UFC, his opponents haven't been on the level of the Din Thomas', the Tyson Griffin's, or the Sam Stouts. Speaking of Stout, though it's a great comeback, and a clear Fight of the Year contender, it's not as huge a fight as Florian/Thomas (had it gone longer, could've been.) or Frank Edgar/Tyson Griffin.

So what do you think?
hippysmacker
11/10/07 2:52:14AM
Even if he is guilty ( which I don't beleive but have no proof ) I think Sherk should get the next shot. If he is found innocent he will get it for sure.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 3:46:26AM
Even if that means holding off from having a Lightweight Title bout until Sherk's year long suspension is up (that is of course if he is found guilty)?
jomatty
11/10/07 3:50:30AM
even if sherk is found guilty there is a decent chance he will have his suspension knocked down to 6 months or so. im sure the ufc will want to put him in there are have a unified ufc lw title.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 3:58:24AM
I have no doubt that the UFC would be wanting to get any time knocked off Sherk's suspension, but I don't think he'll get that much taken off. There would be a big gap between when the Penn/Stevenson fight takes place, and when Sherk can fight. Someone has to face the Interim LW Champ.
hippysmacker
11/10/07 4:06:08AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

I have no doubt that the UFC would be wanting to get any time knocked off Sherk's suspension, but I don't think he'll get that much taken off. There would be a big gap between when the Penn/Stevenson fight takes place, and when Sherk can fight. Someone has to face the Interim LW Champ.

Considering how the commission chopped time off the sentences of James Toney and Phil Baroni, despite no definitive evidence to the contrary , I think Sherk will be back soon .
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 4:09:44AM
But soon enough to have a him fight after Penn/Stevenson? If it's next month, and they chop it in half, that still means their fight won't be until either May or June. I don't think they are going to cut off anymore than half a year. Anymore would be letting him off easy.
DevonFoxy
11/10/07 7:31:42AM
I think Tyson Griffin should get the next one. I really think he deserves it after the fighters he beat. Sherk would be my first choice but im going with some one different for the time being. I can believe he isnt on the poll after his win over Thiago Tavares and debatable win over Guida. Tho i would like to see him avenge his loss to Edgar.
nickcuc547
11/10/07 11:10:34AM
it's gotta be sherk he hasnt been beaten at lw and nobody has even come close, he is the only one deserving right now. the ufc has time to find another contender after that with about 6 or 7 guys in the mix.
gspgnp
11/10/07 11:24:29AM
Sherk will get his suspension reduced to 6-9 months which will make him eligible to fight Feb-May '08. That is around the next time that the winner of Penn-Stevenson will fight so I think the UFC will definitely pit Sherk against the winner of this fight.
HeadKase
11/10/07 11:53:41AM
Gotta let Ken-Flo get another crack at the title.
I FINISH FIGHTS!!
But for real... he is an extreamly smart fighter. It's his shot.
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 12:57:08PM
Why don't we do this?

Florian faces the winner of Edgar/Fisher
Sherk faces the winner of Huerta/Guida (if Sherk is suspend, forget this.)

Then Florian/Fisher/Edgar faces Sherk/Huerta/Guida

The winner of those six faces Penn/Stevenson. There you go. The LW division in a nutshell.

By the way, the LW division is my fave too.
stock
11/10/07 4:04:27PM
Where is the "Sherk" option?
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 4:54:16PM
There isn't one, because if you read the poll, it says if Sherk's suspension holds.. He can't fight and be suspended at the same time.. Therefore no option.

As for Tyson Griffin. Though i've heard him mentioned, and I think he is higher on the list than some of the five guys mentioned. I was originally talking in the context that I think Kenny Florian should be next, and that people are saying the winners of Fisher/Edgar, and Huerta/Guida get a shot before Kenny. In this context I was wondering if people really thought that the other four should get a shot before Kenny.

I did say if Sherk's suspension get's dropped then he should be first, so to the people who didn't read my OP, .

Edit: I must say, though I am happy to see Florian in the lead on the poll, why are Edgar and Huerta tied? Edgar and Guida I can see, but not Edgar and Huerta.. It's lunacy I say!
mkiv9secsupra
11/10/07 5:22:13PM
No one. The only person IMO who deserved a shot was Stevenson and he already is getting a shot. Spencer should get a shot against Huerta and then the winner gets a shot. Kenny shouldnt get one. Beating Mishima does not make you the number 1 contender. Have him fight Guida and that winner will fight the winner of Penn/Stevenson(penn) vs Fisher/Huerta(Fisher). Either way no one is going to stop Penn. Sherk is the guy to do that.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 5:29:17PM
Stevenson can't fight the winner of Penn/Stevenson, if he was just in the fight.. Well unless they do an immediate rematch. As for who Kenny has beaten, sure it makes you want to disagree with him. It's how he beat these guys that makes me want to put him up there..

Also, you do know Spencer Fisher is taking on Frank Edgar, and Roger Huerta is taking on Clay Guida right? Sounds like you'd rather Edgar be out of the picture, and have Kenny and Clay go at it, and Huerta and Fisher..
cmill21
11/10/07 5:30:22PM
I picked the guy that I hate the least, Kenny, I think I might hate him more then Tito, and I'd rather watch paint dry then see sherk fight, and I know Fisher always makes for a good fight with anyone, so I chose him.
Boo_Radley21
11/10/07 5:31:35PM
Considering it's the interim title I'd say Sherk guilty or not.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 5:39:04PM
Even though I know everyone wants to see Sherk first, I would like to know who people would like to see after Sherk, in case the suspension is like a year, or Sherk gets injured while training? That's where the poll comes in.
Boo_Radley21
11/10/07 6:51:42PM
Well other than Sherk I would LIKE to see Fisher fight next for the title but I doubt he will.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 6:54:56PM
So you believe he can beat Edgar?
Franklinfan47
11/10/07 7:08:08PM
Besides Sherk obviously, I would say either Fisher/Edger, Florian, Huerta/Guida, or Tyson Griffin (who wasn't in the poll for some reason).
Kainlock
11/10/07 7:14:50PM
I thought Sean Sherk was the man until the suspension. After that I lost so much respect for him. I will never view him the same if he is guilty. I am going with BJ taking the win. Then Ken Flo getting the next shot.
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 9:43:54PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Besides Sherk obviously, I would say either Fisher/Edger, Florian, Huerta/Guida, or Tyson Griffin (who wasn't in the poll for some reason).

That widdles it down a lot. Wait.. No, it doesn't, lol. You even added a guy!
Franklinfan47
11/12/07 12:52:58AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by Franklinfan47

That widdles it down a lot. Wait.. No, it doesn't, lol. You even added a guy!

Haha I know, but the division is stacked at the moment. I'll go with Florian.