Facebook and real life

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Facebook and real life
infestructure
8/7/12 5:53:55PM
I see the forums are slow. I have been thinking about this. Any thoughts?

When I first got a facebook, many moons ago, I updated my status - "going to the beach for a beer". Then I thought about why I had written that, and came to the conclusion I was being vain and selfish, projecting what I thought was 'cool' out there into the internet for everyone to see. I then deleted it before anyone could see it. Since then, I have never updated my status, or written on anyone's wall. I have also made it so no one can write on my wall. People get pissed off, but when I say "what did you have to tell me that you wanted EVERYONE else to hear?" they get the point.
There is a PM function - why do you feel the need to say this in front of everyone?
If you wouldn't say it in front of all 300 people on your FB in real life, like they were in a room with you, then don't say it at all.
Facebook is turning us into walking talking billboards. I know because I use FB to promote my jewellery business. I used to look through my news feed to find what people in my life had been up to, now I just see what they have been buying/supporting.
All I'm saying, I suppose, is a little mystery is a good thing. And also, stop supporting shit you don't care about, remember the boy who cried wolf.

Theoutlaw08
8/7/12 6:42:04PM
I agree a lot with you. I just recently got FB and i hate it. I am friends with people that i had no need to talk to after high school. I never update shit either. Why do people need to always say what they are doing...Who cares.

Example:
"Chillin' watchin' Twilight with Gracie :)"

Who gives a shit waht you are doing. Does the world care you are watching Twilight with Gracie??? And thanks for the smiley face...clearly they are enjoying Twilight. PUKE....fricken PUKE.
infestructure
8/7/12 6:44:42PM
Budge apparently enjoys twilight too, have you seen his avatar?
prophecy033
8/7/12 6:48:22PM
I use Facebook but mostly for shit sports related. I don't friend people I don't talk to and I have my profile set to friends only. If I don't know/talk to you you don't need to see/know my business.
Budgellism
8/7/12 6:55:25PM

Posted by infestructure

Budge apparently enjoys twilight too, have you seen his avatar?

Team Edward yo

EDIT: Also, I have Facebook but I go on maybe once or twice a week at the very most. I don't like it. Anyone that I enjoy talking to that I don't already see in my everyday life uses this site, so I'm always on here.
KungFuMaster
8/7/12 7:25:56PM
I am probably one of the last souls who do not have facebook. But yeah, I agree. I don't feel the need to post about my personal accomplishments or misfortunes online. I don't support facebook nor am I against it. It's a thing of preference and I prefer to keep my life within my families and close friends.
warglory
8/7/12 7:33:37PM
I am a regular user of fb, and that's mainly because most folks I am friends with live elsewhere. I would LOVE to not use it ever again, but I feel like since it's the primary means of communication for everyone else these days, that I need to associate with it. I know it's sick, but it is what it is.

And I'll be the douche who brings up the fact that fb used to be a fun way to communicate with college buddies back when it first started, You could plan out your next party, chat about each other's photos, etc. But now you can have to contend with your grandparents and shit being on there. It's just a bit ridiculous.
pmoney
8/7/12 7:40:19PM
Facebook boned me so hard. Last month, one of my best friends hit me up on Facebook to say he was gonna be in my hood for a weekend. He and his lady wanted to parlay with me and the misses. Well, I didn't get this message for nearly a month. Thinking maybe he had cancelled the trip, I checked his profile. Lo and behold, I see pictures on his Facebook confirming that he was indeed in the area. I'm like dude, I don't have the Facebook app, I don't get notified for every comment, post, reply etc. I check the website (which is essentially the same exact thing) specifically so that I don't have to get my ass impacted with emails. Ah well! I left him a message, ON THE PHONE, and explained I didn't intend to blow him off. I also chastised him for not calling me like any decent human would.

Facebook has destroyed human communication more thoroughly than texting and instant messenging combined, IMHO! The internet has such a fantastic potential that, just like the potential of humanity, goes largely untapped.
Shawn91111
8/7/12 8:13:46PM
I usually end up deleting a lot of people from their annoying status updates, from family to close friends. If someone updates their status 3-5 times a day, they will be deleted.
infestructure
8/7/12 8:40:30PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I usually end up deleting a lot of people from their annoying status updates, from family to close friends. If someone updates their status 3-5 times a day, they will be deleted.

You know you can just unsubscribe from their stuff appearing on your feed.
UFC_Fanatic
8/7/12 8:45:42PM
I only got a facebook originally for 2 reasons, first, there were a few of my close friends who had moved away and got new phone numbers so I used it to contact them that way I could just call them when I feel the need to talk to them and see how things are going for them. Second reason was because of the free prelims the ufc was doing on facebook. I only even acknowledge the existence of my facebook like once every 3 or 4 months. If I don't have a reason that I deem to be important for getting on it, then there is no reason for me to use it.
8/7/12 9:03:13PM
I'm on facebook right now, telling crude jokes about my penis and whatnot.
Adrenaline
8/7/12 9:50:42PM
I hate facebook with a passion. At first it was useful because I could find people that had moved away years ago that I wouldn't have been able to contact otherwise. The "new" however wore off fast. Soon it devolved into a cluster fuck of people airing their dirty laundry, bragging about how awesome they are, and people posting pointless vague status updates. Not to mention the constant game requests and other nonsense and I was just about done with it all. I hung around for awhile just to keep up with a select few people I care about and then came the straw that broke the camels back: My family and my co-workers (rather the people I work for) started adding me and then getting offended when I ignored their request. Don't get me wrong, I love my folks but they don't need to be privy to everything I do. And as far as my co-workers go, I don't even enjoy socializing with them when I get paid for it, why would I want to do it on my own time. So I killed my facebook about two years ago and don't miss it in the slightest.
Chael_Sonnen
8/7/12 10:50:37PM
Facebook and the term 'suck' go hand in hand like Rampage and Mt. Dew.
40ouncetofreedom
8/8/12 12:37:33AM
I just dislike when people posts those stupid Ecard quote pics,But then i also notice that the ones who do post those have their work profession as "stay at home mommy".I guess they don't have much better things to do.

prophecy033
8/8/12 1:07:57AM

Posted by 187

I'm on facebook right now, telling crude jokes about my penis and whatnot.

tcunningham
8/8/12 1:45:28AM
i dont have much to say on this topic because i dont have facebook and never will. period. facebook is all i fucking hear about from people anymore. i try to live "off the grid" as much as possible. people should try it, a simple life is the way to go
JLS1980
8/8/12 10:18:27AM
I'm another one that doesn't have Facebook. I used the misses from time to time for various things.
I think FB could be good at times for the obvious reasons but I know way too many people that got themselves in a bit of trouble posting comments/pictures of things that at the time seemed like a good idea and it turned around and haunted them later.

I was telling a friend about this site and they told me why don't you get a FB page like a normal person. My reply was why don't you get a PG page like a me.
airkerma
8/8/12 11:12:24AM
The shit that drives me up the wall is something along the lines of:
"I would like to wish a happy birthday to my niece who just turned 2!" followed by 'likes' and 'd'awwww'. Either wish the damned kid a happy birthday or don't, the kid isn't on facebook, can't read, and probably doesn't give two diaper loads what is even going on during the day.
george112
8/8/12 11:25:51AM
Gf made me delete my facebook.

who cares
warglory
8/9/12 8:28:08PM
This thread reminds me of Def Leppard. Pyromania sold bajillions of records back when it came out, but for some reason, whenever you asked people if they liked Def Leppard, it was almost unanimous hatred...supposedly.
MMAcca
8/10/12 7:48:28AM

Posted by tcunningham

i dont have much to say on this topic because i dont have facebook and never will. period. facebook is all i fucking hear about from people anymore. i try to live "off the grid" as much as possible. people should try it, a simple life is the way to go

Me too.

I like having a private life.

F*** Facebook