Fabricio Werdum wants to fight the best in the world with Affliction

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fabricio Werdum wants to fight the best in the world with Affliction
Next Page »
MMAcca
11/22/08 3:22:16PM
“When I first heard the rumours, I didn’t know anything. I had four more fights left with them on my contract, which ran to 2010. But they demanded to renegotiate my exiting contract by cutting my pay in half…. It’s a pity I would have liked to continue with the UFC but now we forge ahead…. There are several possibilities now including fighting in multiple organizations. Affliction, Sengoku and Dream are big events, but I think the possibility of fighting for Affliction in particular will give me the best chance to fight the best in the world, Fedor, in addition to (Andrei) Arlovski, Josh Barnett and several other big names … that would be a great opportunity for me”"

LINK
cmb19932
11/22/08 3:34:44PM
sad part is i don't see him beating any top hw in affliction
loller90278
11/22/08 3:45:26PM
maybe affliction will pair him up with barnett for the january card.

that'd be a pretty good fight
cmill21
11/22/08 3:54:04PM
I've always hated that people try and renegotiate their contract. In the NFL everyones up in arms when someone sits out for a new contract while the UFC does it the other way. I didn't see Rich trying to renegotiate his contract when he was making pennies while being the champ, I don't like how the UFC tried to do this to a guy who beat two contenders, signed a brand new contract and then lost once. Complete BS IMO.
Twenty20Dollars
11/22/08 4:07:28PM
please NO Werdum vs Andrei 2.
Bowen50
11/22/08 4:11:57PM
this is just a bad move on Werdum's part. he was a top guy and lost to basically a no name guy. he should have taken the pay cut, gotten back on track with a few wins, and then renegotiated his contract again for a pay raise. plus i don't see him beating any top guys in Affliction.
dinex
11/22/08 4:40:33PM

Posted by Bowen50

this is just a bad move on Werdum's part. he was a top guy and lost to basically a no name guy. he should have taken the pay cut, gotten back on track with a few wins, and then renegotiated his contract again for a pay raise. plus i don't see him beating any top guys in Affliction.

Good thing he has you to make these decisions for him. He should hire you as his manager. Who needs real managers when you can get the advice of Bowen50 for free on the internet?
ThePlague
11/22/08 6:16:55PM

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Good thing he has you to make these decisions for him. He should hire you as his manager. Who needs real managers when you can get the advice of Bowen50 for free on the internet?

Jeez dude, way to flip out on a guy for posting his opinion. That's what the boards are for- posting opinons!
dinex
11/22/08 6:45:05PM

Posted by ThePlague

Jeez dude, way to flip out on a guy for posting his opinion. That's what the boards are for- posting opinons!

Unless you know how much UFC were going to pay him and how much others are willing to pay him there is no reason to have an opinion on whether this is a bad move or not. It is pretty arrogant to talk about what is best for Werdums career when you have no real information to base it on.
cmill21
11/22/08 6:46:21PM

Posted by ThePlague

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Well it's true lol, take a 40,000$ pay cut? What sense does that make when you JUST signed the contract? It's BS that the UFC can do this, renegotiate at any time but if you want out you better wait on the sidelines and fight on the undercard so we can get rid of you.
Bowen50
11/22/08 6:59:26PM

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

isn't that what this forum is for, posting opinions? i obviously don't know the full extent of the situation but from what we know it seems like a bad move. no reason to get your jock in a twist over my opinion. go back to sherdog where your opinions have even less bearing.
warglory
11/22/08 7:07:39PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ThePlague

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Well it's true lol, take a 40,000$ pay cut? What sense does that make when you JUST signed the contract? It's BS that the UFC can do this, renegotiate at any time but if you want out you better wait on the sidelines and fight on the undercard so we can get rid of you.

It's not BS, the UFC is a business and Werdum was been lackluster thus far in his career. Did you near a lot of outrage on this site and others with the news of his cut? No, because everyone was paying attention to Jon Fitch, because Fitch puts on amazing performances, win or lose. The same reason why Clay Guida and Chris Lytle are still UFC mainstays. Dana White likes fighters that put their all into a performance and one that fans appreciate. Werdum went 2-2 in his UFC career, and save for maybe the Gonzaga fight, none of his fights were really noteworthy on his part.

Of course the UFC isn't going to pay 80,000 bucks to a performer who doesn't deserve it. Werdum should have cut his losses and taken the new deal, win a couple of more fights and then re-negotiated. Dana has publicly stated he is always open to his fighters re-negotiating contracts after a win streak, even before their contract comes up.
cmill21
11/22/08 7:21:20PM

Posted by warglory

It's not BS, the UFC is a business and Werdum was been lackluster thus far in his career. Did you near a lot of outrage on this site and others with the news of his cut? No, because everyone was paying attention to Jon Fitch, because Fitch puts on amazing performances, win or lose. The same reason why Clay Guida and Chris Lytle are still UFC mainstays. Dana White likes fighters that put their all into a performance and one that fans appreciate. Werdum went 2-2 in his UFC career, and save for maybe the Gonzaga fight, none of his fights were really noteworthy on his part.

Of course the UFC isn't going to pay 80,000 bucks to a performer who doesn't deserve it. Werdum should have cut his losses and taken the new deal, win a couple of more fights and then re-negotiated. Dana has publicly stated he is always open to his fighters re-negotiating contracts after a win streak, even before their contract comes up.

A lack luster career? He has finished, GG twice, Zentsov, Aleksander, Vera, and everyones new golden boy Alistair. He's also been in there with Nog, Kharitonov and AA, only being finished once by a new comer. He has a total of 4 decisions in his career(only winning one of them) so he is by no means a lay and pray fighter. 80,000 is not top 10 money, and he is by far a top 10 HW, and was one of the few that the UFC have remaining. Dana may say he's open to renegotiating a contract, but I have never heard of him doing this, look at Jardine, the man has beat Forrest Griffin, and Chuck Liddel, always puts on exciting fights and he still only makes 10k a fight, I can bet that he asked to change that, but it's obvious it didn't happen. Also consider the UFC paid Big Tim 100,000 and AA 160,000, neither of them are any more exciting then Werdum, and Tim didn't bring in fans so don't play that card.
motorboatensob
11/22/08 7:21:30PM
I agree the only thing he had to brag about was beating Vera and that wasn't to convincing of a win. If these fighters are not happy with the UFC wanting to cut there pay when they don't preform then they need to put some kind of clause in there contract that says if they get on a winning streak or beat top ranked opponents they get a raise in there payouts.
Jackelope
11/22/08 7:28:10PM
I'm with Cmill on this one. It seems kind of crap to think that you sign a two-way contract that is only a one-way contract. That means just because someone loses one fight all the sudden they lose all their bargaining chips? Check out Liddell- he's dropped quite a few fights recently. Granted he brings in more fans, but still... a contract should be binding on both sides.

The UFC fills their contracts so full of clauses that their lawyers should be getting paid more than their top fighters. (And probably are!) It's smart from a business perspective, but it's complete crap from a business ethics perspective.
Jackelope
11/22/08 7:31:57PM

Posted by motorboatensob

I agree the only thing he had to brag about was beating Vera and that wasn't to convincing of a win.

I thought his full mount and brutal pounding of Vera was pretty convincing
cmill21
11/22/08 7:45:54PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by motorboatensob

I agree the only thing he had to brag about was beating Vera and that wasn't to convincing of a win.

I thought his full mount and brutal pounding of Vera was pretty convincing

And his demolishion of Gonzaga wasn't unconvincing.
EvenFlow
11/22/08 8:00:07PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

A lack luster career? He has finished, GG twice, Zentsov, Aleksander, Vera, and everyones new golden boy Alistair. He's also been in there with Nog, Kharitonov and AA, only being finished once by a new comer. He has a total of 4 decisions in his career(only winning one of them) so he is by no means a lay and pray fighter. 80,000 is not top 10 money, and he is by far a top 10 HW, and was one of the few that the UFC have remaining. Dana may say he's open to renegotiating a contract, but I have never heard of him doing this, look at Jardine, the man has beat Forrest Griffin, and Chuck Liddel, always puts on exciting fights and he still only makes 10k a fight, I can bet that he asked to change that, but it's obvious it didn't happen. Also consider the UFC paid Big Tim 100,000 and AA 160,000, neither of them are any more exciting then Werdum, and Tim didn't bring in fans so don't play that card.

Quickly becoming my favorite poster here, tried to prop you but gotta spread the love.
bls1919
11/22/08 8:04:38PM
Another tough loss for the UFC heavyweight division. When is enough enough. Dana and " The Boys" wont follow through. The guy had one loss to an unknown. Not two ro three. The UFC is putting one some exciting fights in the HW division, but they arent the best fighters in the world. And that's what this fan wants. Don't get me wrong i like watching Cain V. and Shane Carwin knocks guys the F@$% out. but This kind of action from the UFC is getting tiresome.
Jackelope
11/22/08 8:15:44PM

Posted by bls1919

Another tough loss for the UFC heavyweight division. When is enough enough. Dana and " The Boys" wont follow through. The guy had one loss to an unknown. Not two ro three. The UFC is putting one some exciting fights in the HW division, but they arent the best fighters in the world. And that's what this fan wants. Don't get me wrong i like watching Cain V. and Shane Carwin knocks guys the F@$% out. but This kind of action from the UFC is getting tiresome.

Exactly. Fabricio Werdum was a legitimate heavyweight contender. There is no getting around that. The UFC lost in this one, and their new golden boy Brock Lesnar, if he is what everyone seems to think he will be, is going to run out of contenders before too long.
Porch28
11/22/08 8:28:39PM

Posted by cmill21

I've always hated that people try and renegotiate their contract. In the NFL everyones up in arms when someone sits out for a new contract while the UFC does it the other way. I didn't see Rich trying to renegotiate his contract when he was making pennies while being the champ, I don't like how the UFC tried to do this to a guy who beat two contenders, signed a brand new contract and then lost once. Complete BS IMO.

I totally 100% agree a contract is a contract the way I see it for both sides. THe UFC has to know going into negotiations that it is a possibility that stuff like this can happen and that being the case they should have the verbage in there that states as such otherwise HONOR THE FIGHTER HONOR THE CONTRACT!!!!
Nothing but a bunch of bullies
cmill21
11/22/08 8:40:48PM
Another thing I wanted to say, doesn't the UFC and Dana say "Anything can happen, and anyone can win"? If they do believe that then why do they cut and renegotiate when anything happens?
jae_1833
11/22/08 8:49:28PM
Honestly not a Werdum fan, but acknowledge the skills. I think this is just a lose lose situation. The UFC loses a great contender in a weak division, and Werdum has to go out and look for a new org to fight for. Hopefully he signs with Affliction, as I have been saying for months....it's where I go to get all of my HW MMA Action!!!! Besides some of the HWs there could use the win....Rothwell I am looking at you buddy!!!
juanez13
11/22/08 9:16:10PM
Werdum IMO is the most overrated HW out there. Werdum beating GG was far from demolition, he was getting his ass handed to him until GG gassed and gave up. But thats beside the point.

I dont think it was right for the UFC to ask him to take a pay cut, they should at least waited to see if he could bounce back and get back into the title picture. Its not fair for the UFC to do so, but business isnt always fair, in the time Werdum was in the UFC even with beating 2 known names (GG, vera) still wasnt very popular. The UFC isnt gonna pay him more than he makes them.

As far as affliction goes, I think he could beat Aleks again. But not alot of other guys, with the way Andrei has been fighting lately I think he'd put Werdum on his ass this time around. Still there are some good match ups at affliction.
Poohbah
11/22/08 9:37:42PM
Cutting Werdum like that seemed retaliatory. It was like Dana was pissed not only did he lose, he got KTFO in seconds...by a no-name, and he showed up unprepared and overweight.

It should have been a showcase fight, and he really blew it. Maybe Dana felt he went through the motions collecting a paycheck, and this is his punishment.
Wolfenstein
11/22/08 11:19:18PM
It definetely seemed like Werdum underestimated Dos Santos, as he looked out of shape and sluggish. He has also developed some bad habits in his standup and Santos took advantage of his tendancy to dip his head down when the leather is coming. Nine times out of ten Werdum takes that fight, and I think he's going to correct that mistake.

I think it was a little premature to dump a top HW. The UFC's perspective obviously is that he's not a draw, but he was a top fighter they had to have on the roster. Now that he has lost though, the UFC won't have to worry about Werdum being touted as a HW that would demolish HW's in the UFC, so in a sense they have covered themselves.

I enjoyed watching Werdum a lot (even if he did KO Gabe). He'll do well in Affliction, and probably swap some time in Japan as well. The UFC has said they would like to eventually have Werdum back, but it seems like when a HW from the UFC is dropped, they never come back.
loller90278
11/23/08 12:18:46AM

Posted by Poohbah

Cutting Werdum like that seemed retaliatory. It was like Dana was pissed not only did he lose, he got KTFO in seconds...by a no-name, and he showed up unprepared and overweight.

It should have been a showcase fight, and he really blew it. Maybe Dana felt he went through the motions collecting a paycheck, and this is his punishment.

i think this is farthest from the truth... the "no name" is trained by big nog, and was brought in the UFC for a reason. also, werdum stated that he got bigger so he could face lesner, because of his *guaranteed* title shot that was included in his contract.
warglory
11/23/08 1:28:39AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

A lackluster career in the UFC is what I meant, which is what he has had. 80,000a fight is absolutely top 10 pay when most fighters are lucky to make 50,000 base salary not including fight of the nights and other bonuses. Werdum has been very lackluster in the UFC, no one outside of hardcores gives a shit about his name, and Dana White realizes this. The exact same situation can be applied to CroCop. If he hadn't left on his own free will, I am almost certain Dana would have downgraded his contract. Are you telling me, as a die hard fan of CroCop, that the pricetag he came into the UFC with was worth while after his third fight? Come on man, even as a CroCop fan, you have to realize the business aspect of paying CroCop so much money a fight and seeing it go down the crapper as he gets beaten convincingly.

Werdum, regardless of is wins, was not putting his heart into matches as demonsdtrated in his first and last matches, and thus, Dana was protecting his investment in fighters that actually put in the effort. Once your in the UFC, it doesn't matter what you have done to get to that point. If Shogun puts on another lousy performance, I don't care if he is injured, his contract will be re-negotiated, guaranteed.
cmill21
11/23/08 2:13:32AM
Your comparing a guy who made 350,000 to a guy making 80? Top 10 fighter money is 100,000+ IMO. I really don't see it as the same situation, one had a guy lose twice beating no top contenders while the other FINISHED 2 before losing.
Kracker_Jap
11/23/08 2:30:31AM
Makes me wonder why we still post on how much UFC (Zuffa)fighters are paid....

When the smarter of us all know that the UFC is a private company that does not release all of there pay to the press.....

We have only seen them open their books once and it proved to us all that they pay way higher than what is listed....

And just recently Fabers coach had to come out and defend the listed pay and explain that he had had been paid higher than what was listed

So why do you guys still post arguments based on what MMAweekly says the payouts where??? When it has been all explained before
Pages: [1] 2