Fabricio Werdum Sign 5-Fight Deal With UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fabricio Werdum Sign 5-Fight Deal With UFC
MMAcca
7/30/08 1:36:53AM
Fabrício Werdum has signed a new 5-fight contract with the UFC. The Brazilian has beaten Brandon Vera and Gabriel Napão by TKO and will fight again in October. The opponent has not yet been confirmed but is thought to be Junior dos Santos.

Werdum is waiting on the title-match between Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira, the current heavyweight champion, and number one contender Frank Mir; both of them are coaching opposite one another for the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, SpikeTV's popular reality show. Werdum has stated his desire to face Minotauro for two reasons:

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
7/30/08 2:59:12AM
im kinda wanting to see big nog vs werdum rematch now that i think of it, more than the nog vs mir fight.
loller90278
7/30/08 3:28:17AM
to be honest big nog vs werdum II would be a snorefest to the casual fans, and heck, i was kinda bored their first fight as well. if/when nog gets through mir, i dont know if dana will give werdum his title shot
Twenty20Dollars
7/30/08 3:49:40AM
even if werdum wins, and dana said he's going to get a title shot. Your saying dana isnt going to give werdum a title shot.

Kinda like dana did to arlovski(granted he had a bad fight but he still won the fight) but didnt get the promised title shot.
RMFG_187
7/30/08 4:35:14AM
First things first.

Will Nog last against Mir? Mir has a legitimate shot on beating Nog, on the other hand, I see Werdum having the same chance.

I like Nog, awesome legend in the sport, but I think hes got a tough road ahead of him in the UFC.

Mir, Werdum, Lesnar, Velasquez amongst other have a good shot at taking him.

Velasquez will KO Big Nog
bojangalz
7/30/08 7:05:16AM
Fabrício Werdum:

Bringing some much needed excitement to the UFC's HW division for years to come

Lets just hope guys like Carwim and Valasquez get on the fast track.....This ship be sinkin.
bojangalz
7/30/08 8:19:11AM

Posted by RMFG_187

First things first.

Will Nog last against Mir? Mir has a legitimate shot on beating Nog, on the other hand, I see Werdum having the same chance.

I like Nog, awesome legend in the sport, but I think hes got a tough road ahead of him in the UFC.

I'm wouldn't say the Mir has much of a chance against Nog. Niether has great stand-up, but Nog is pretty accurate with the punches that he throws. He was able to stand an bang a bit with Timmay in the latter stages of that fight. And we haven't seen Mir really bang with anyone since...well, ever. So I'd give the stand-up to Nog. Mir's bread and butter is the submission game, and there isn't a HW in the UFC with jitz like Big Nog. So the ground game goes to Nog too. We haven't seen Mir's stamina tested yet either, and we know Nog's swam in the deep waters before- advantage Nog.

Nog shouldn't have a problem winning this fight at all. In fact, there isn't much ready-made talent at all in the UFC to challenge Nog at this point:

Werdum probably has the best chance against Nog, but there again. It's one guy's submissions against another's. And Nog should be ok. But lets face facts, this would not make for an exciting fight. Technically, and fundamentally impressive yes, but not exciting.

Lesnar has no chance against Nog. Not now, and not for the next five years. he can have all the physical gifts in the world, but he'll never be able to make up for his lack of experience. By the time he's gotten enough cage time in to deserve a legit shot, he'll be too old. Starting 0-2 in the UFC doesn't help either.

Which brings us to Velasquez. This kid is the real deal. He's got a great wrestling foundation, and physical gifts. I really hope the UFC locks him up long term, because he's got future champ written all over him. The key word is future though. He's too young and inexperienced to stand much of a chance against Nog at this stage. Even when (thats right I said when) Cain does win the belt, he still won't be named amoungst the top HW in the world.

The bottom line is, the HW division in the UFC is as weak as it has ever been. And Nog will probably be holding this belt for quite a while.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/30/08 8:55:12AM
yeah definetly not a fan of having title fights set up on ultimate fighter, it's like every title holder is going to want to be a coach that way he doesn't have to defend the title for like a year it seems.
Nog-Mir 1st rd sub for Nog maybe a tko
then Nog and Werdum is what I would have more interest in for sure.
sparky
7/30/08 10:25:12AM
Nogueira is gunna absolutely smoke frank mir!!!!i still cant believe he got a title shot for beatin brock lesnar like who the f**k has lesnar ever beat ahahhahahahah.............. werdum i gurantee will recieve next shot at nogueira's belt....and is the only legitimate contender who has a chance at defeating nogueira thats in the ufc heavyweight division!!!! the ufc needs to seriously consider searching for some real heavyweights!!!!!!! cuz after those 2 match ups whats next????
billycarnage
7/30/08 10:47:39AM
Werdum vs Nog is the most interesting matchup at heavyweight for me. If they both win their next fights (I am sure they will) that willbe the nest Title Fight. If Dana is concerned about excitement and casual fans then he should just stack the card and have a co-main event.

I love Fabricio
State_Champ
7/30/08 1:06:38PM
I can't stand Mir but I like Fabricio. I don't think Mir deserves a title shot yet. And i really want to see fabricio fight again, so i'm glad h singed a deal with UFC
prozacnation1978
7/30/08 1:25:01PM
i think 5 fights means he will be in the ufc for another 2 years
they still need heavyweights
RMFG_187
7/30/08 2:37:38PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by RMFG_187

First things first.

I'm wouldn't say the Mir has much of a chance against Nog. Niether has great stand-up, but Nog is pretty accurate with the punches that he throws. He was able to stand an bang a bit with Timmay in the latter stages of that fight. And we haven't seen Mir really bang with anyone since...well, ever. So I'd give the stand-up to Nog. Mir's bread and butter is the submission game, and there isn't a HW in the UFC with jitz like Big Nog. So the ground game goes to Nog too. We haven't seen Mir's stamina tested yet either, and we know Nog's swam in the deep waters before- advantage Nog.

Nog shouldn't have a problem winning this fight at all. In fact, there isn't much ready-made talent at all in the UFC to challenge Nog at this point:

Werdum probably has the best chance against Nog, but there again. It's one guy's submissions against another's. And Nog should be ok. But lets face facts, this would not make for an exciting fight. Technically, and fundamentally impressive yes, but not exciting.

Lesnar has no chance against Nog. Not now, and not for the next five years. he can have all the physical gifts in the world, but he'll never be able to make up for his lack of experience. By the time he's gotten enough cage time in to deserve a legit shot, he'll be too old. Starting 0-2 in the UFC doesn't help either.

Which brings us to Velasquez. This kid is the real deal. He's got a great wrestling foundation, and physical gifts. I really hope the UFC locks him up long term, because he's got future champ written all over him. The key word is future though. He's too young and inexperienced to stand much of a chance against Nog at this stage. Even when (thats right I said when) Cain does win the belt, he still won't be named amoungst the top HW in the world.

The bottom line is, the HW division in the UFC is as weak as it has ever been.

And Nog will probably be holding this belt for quite a while.

I still think Nog will lose to Mir, if not him, Werdum, Velasquez can take it from them, and it seems they are the next in line. I will bet that he doesnt last 2 title defenses.
MMAcca
7/30/08 5:24:09PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Maybe. I can't see it myself, but Cain looks very promising.

Big Nog also possesses a chin made of solid iron........
jiujitsufreak74
7/30/08 5:30:05PM
Big Nog never loses, he just runs out of time. i mean guys, Fedor, HH, CC, Sylvia, Schilt and Sapp were unable to KO him despite putting on the beat down of a lifetime. at this point, i really don't think Nog is capable of being stopped in any fight, i just can't fathom it. after those Fedor beatings, i just can't do it, i can't bring myself to believe that anyone can finish him.

cmill21
7/30/08 5:45:15PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Big Nog never loses, he just runs out of time. i mean guys, Fedor, HH, CC, Sylvia, Schilt and Sapp were unable to KO him despite putting on the beat down of a lifetime. at this point, i really don't think Nog is capable of being stopped in any fight, i just can't fathom it. after those Fedor beatings, i just can't do it, i can't bring myself to believe that anyone can finish him.

I am worried about someone landing one on him like Soko did to his bro, but when you look at who he's been hit by it is a very very impressive list. There was a time when Bob Sapp was one of the scariest guys going, Tim isn't likeable but he can hit, Cro Cop has a who's who of the worlds best on his victim's list, and hell he took alot more then Tim did from Fedor. Schilt doesn't count because he's not a good striker . I can't see a guy like Cain doing it simply because guys with much better striking who hit alot harder coulden't. Although you never know, mma is as unpredictable as life.
Rabi
7/31/08 6:54:38AM
I think Nog will TKo Mir in round 2.

The he will face Werdum and it will be a 5 round war with Nog winning by UD.

After that I think it will be Herring again. Herring rocked him big time last time and this could also go the distsance.

I see a long title reign for Nog.