"We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas," former detective testifies

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » "We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas," former detective testifies
Next Page »
emfleek
10/13/11 10:25:00AM
A former NYPD narcotics detective snared in a corruption scandal testified it was common practice to fabricate drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas.

The bombshell testimony from Stephen Anderson is the first public account of the twisted culture behind the false arrests in the Brooklyn South and Queens narc squads, which led to the arrests of eight cops and a massive shakeup.

Anderson, testifying under a cooperation agreement with prosecutors, was busted for planting cocaine, a practice known as "flaking," on four men in a Queens bar in 2008 to help out fellow cop Henry Tavarez, whose buy-and-bust activity had been low.

"Tavarez was ... was worried about getting sent back [to patrol] and, you know, the supervisors getting on his case," he recounted at the corruption trial of Brooklyn South narcotics Detective Jason Arbeeny.

"I had decided to give him [Tavarez] the drugs to help him out so that he could say he had a buy," Anderson testified last week in Brooklyn Supreme Court.

He made clear he wasn't about to pass off the two legit arrests he had made in the bar to Tavarez.

"As a detective, you still have a number to reach while you are in the narcotics division," he said.

NYPD officials did not respond to a request for comment.

Anderson worked in the Queens and Brooklyn South narcotics squads and was called to the stand at Arbeeny's bench trial to show the illegal conduct wasn't limited to a single squad.

"Did you observe with some frequency this ... practice which is taking someone who was seemingly not guilty of a crime and laying the drugs on them?" Justice Gustin Reichbach asked Anderson.

"Yes, multiple times," he replied.

The judge pressed Anderson on whether he ever gave a thought to the damage he was inflicting on the innocent.

"It was something I was seeing a lot of, whether it was from supervisors or undercovers and even investigators," he said.

"It's almost like you have no emotion with it, that they attach the bodies to it, they're going to be out of jail tomorrow anyway; nothing is going to happen to them anyway."

The city paid $300,000 to settle a false arrest suit by Jose Colon and his brother Maximo, who were falsely arrested by Anderson and Tavarez. A surveillance tape inside the bar showed they had been framed.

A federal judge presiding over the suit said the NYPD's plagued by "widespread falsification" by arresting officers.

NYDailyNews.com
scoozna
10/13/11 10:30:32AM
That sucks. Police have an incredibly important and tough job to do. Something is wrong if they feel they need to do s*** like this to make numbers. People don't need another reason to distrust authority these days.
gartface
10/13/11 10:30:47AM
SmileR
10/13/11 10:47:37AM

Posted by gartface

prophecy033
10/13/11 10:56:26AM
Corrupt cops? Nah
PABLOMAFIOSO
10/13/11 11:29:40AM
That's some pathetic s**t.
People who demand these quotas should be investigated also. Why does there have to be a certain amount of crime at any given time of the year? People get laid off in regular jobs when ther'es not enough work. The same should happen for areas with surplus police. If not that just go back to your desk and get paid to do a job that needs doing.
KungFuMaster
10/13/11 11:49:55AM
I have heard rumors about fabricated charges while growing up but it was one of those things that you weren't so sure the person telling it to you was a trust worthy person.

A friend of mine in junior high had told me that his brother told him - that he and his friends were framed for illegal possession of drugs. Supposedly., they were stopped randomly because they looked like thugs. They were told to get out of the car and right when the search began, an officer finds a bag of cocaine.

My friend's brother confirmed it with the rest of his friends and found out nobody had any drugs. He spent 30 some odd days in jail and refuse to call his parents because he did not want to trouble them - because he was a trouble kid after all.

Now it all makes sense, because back in the day - there were quotas for citations, but I did not know there was a quota for arrests. That is ridiculous.

I would say more things about peace officers in my town but that would be opening a can of worms.
Budgellism
10/13/11 12:42:22PM
I've typed out several different posts for this and deleted them all because of how angry this makes me. I can't make an appropriate response without breaking some serious code of conduct rules so I'll leave it at this.

This doesn't surprise me. And things seriously need to change.
ghandikush
10/13/11 1:49:36PM
Maybe we would have less crime with less of a quota......
Poor_Franklin
10/13/11 2:24:01PM
the fact the police have quotas shows that they do not care about us as citizens
prophecy033
10/13/11 3:36:01PM
And people wonder why I don't like cops. The system is broken and unfortunately its not getting any better anytime soon. And it goes all the way to the top of the justice department. Judges getting paid off, police chiefs having personal vendettas, and police profiling.
I used to have a 90 acura integra that was lowered and had wheels and was all tricked out. What I didn't have was a stereo (cd player with no amp or subs) and aftermarket muffler (i hate coffee can mufflers). I got pulled over once. I asked him why he pulled me over and he said because my car was too loud. What???? I asked. I told him that the muffler was stock and I didn't have a loud sterio. He didn't know what to say. So what did he do. He wrote me a ticket for speeding. How's that for profiling. I now have a 98 Durango and they don't event look my way. I don't listen to my music any louder or drive any faster.
emfleek
10/13/11 3:41:30PM

Posted by prophecy033

I used to have a 90 acura integra that was lowered

For what it's worth...I would have written you a ticket for that, too.

KungFuMaster
10/13/11 4:24:47PM

Posted by prophecy033

And people wonder why I don't like cops. The system is broken and unfortunately its not getting any better anytime soon. And it goes all the way to the top of the justice department. Judges getting paid off, police chiefs having personal vendettas, and police profiling.
I used to have a 90 acura integra that was lowered and had wheels and was all tricked out. What I didn't have was a stereo (cd player with no amp or subs) and aftermarket muffler (i hate coffee can mufflers). I got pulled over once. I asked him why he pulled me over and he said because my car was too loud. What???? I asked. I told him that the muffler was stock and I didn't have a loud sterio. He didn't know what to say. So what did he do. He wrote me a ticket for speeding. How's that for profiling. I now have a 98 Durango and they don't event look my way. I don't listen to my music any louder or drive any faster.

I don't hate cops. I have ran into my fair share of good cops and bad cops. Some will f**k with you simply because of the color of your skin. Some will give you a break here and there.

I used to have a nice 1982 280Z Nissan. All I had on was a nice body kit and some nice rims. I got stopped so many times while I had that car. There are a lot of racial profiling my city. Supposedly back in my days, everyone who had tricked out cars were criminals - at least that is what the cops in my city thought...

Anyway, I finally decided to rid of it because it was just giving me headaches. Not only was it attracting cops, it was also attracting gangsters. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped at a red light and got punked by the scums of society.

To all the peace officers on this site, answer me this... Are you a bad cop or a good cop?
emfleek
10/13/11 4:29:41PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by prophecy033

I don't hate cops. I have ran into my fair share of good cops and bad cops. Some will f**k with you simply because of the color of your skin. Some will give you a break here and there.

I used to have a nice 1982 280Z Nissan. All I had on was a nice body kit and some nice rims. I got stopped so many times while I had that car. There are a lot of racial profiling my city. Supposedly back in my days, everyone who had tricked out cars were criminals - at least that is what the cops in my city thought...

Anyway, I finally decided to rid of it because it was just giving me headaches. Not only was it attracting cops, it was also attracting gangsters. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped at a red light and got punked by the scums of society.

To all the peace officers on this site, answer me this... Are you a bad cop or a good cop?

I sTeAlZ YeR wOmEnZ n I bE RiDiN dirty aLL dA timez!~
KungFuMaster
10/13/11 4:32:56PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by prophecy033

This one is definitely a bad cop. He'll probably cite me for being Asian.
Poor_Franklin
10/13/11 4:38:12PM

Posted by emfleek

in high school, a dude came up to me & asked me if i could program his computer to automatically type like that. i asked why. he said bc it was annoying having to go back & forth one letter at a time
prophecy033
10/13/11 4:45:33PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by prophecy033

I used to have a 90 acura integra that was lowered

For what it's worth...I would have written you a ticket for that, too.

the only reason I kept it as long as I did is because it got 28-30 MPG and that's back when gas was over $4 a gallon
Pookie
10/13/11 5:04:44PM
Well... duh. I thought this was common knowledge.

Also, im pretty sure most Police forces have Quota's, and incentives for how many people they catch. If not all.
telnights
10/13/11 5:41:30PM
There will always be corrupt cops. Cops are just like everyone else in this world, you have good and bad ones. The problem is the gang like feel of protecting your own that's within the police departments. This problem is at all levels and when you add in the fact that investigations into these issues are done by cops adds to the issue. Go try to file a complaint against a cop and see how well that works out for you. I have see people get threatened to be arrested for just trying to file a complaint. But that doesn't make every cop bad just the current system allows the bad ones to keep being bad. I know this because I used to be one of the good guys.
Pookie
10/13/11 5:51:17PM

Posted by telnights

There will always be corrupt cops. Cops are just like everyone else in this world, you have good and bad ones. The problem is the gang like feel of protecting your own that's within the police departments. This problem is at all levels and when you add in the fact that investigations into these issues are done by cops adds to the issue. Go try to file a complaint against a cop and see how well that works out for you. I have see people get threatened to be arrested for just trying to file a complaint. But that doesn't make every cop bad just the current system allows the bad ones to keep being bad. I know this because I used to be one of the good guys.

Adrenaline
10/13/11 8:45:02PM
I say this cautiously because I don't want to come off as "that guy" and this is nothing aimed at you Emfleek, your a good guy and are probably just sharing this because you found it interesting but....

How is this not a political thread? If I started a thread about some scandal say in Congress and everyone hopped on board and started posting how half of Congress is corrupt and how they make laws to benifit themselves, and they are not fair, etc. etc. etc.. the thread would get locked down in a hurry. Law Enforcement agencies are a political entities that are employed by the state and federal government. Police Officers are public servants, just like Congress, the President, any politician really.

So why can we make threads that concern one area of government but not another? It seems like once a month a thread about law enforcement pops up and its always something controversial but its fiar game to talk about. As has already been mentioned, a very small percentage of police officers do wrong and that should be common sense.

I had a thought to start flooding the locker room with stories about all of the great things police officers do but I knew that would just come off as annoying because I guarantee that there would be 1000 articles about the police doing something right for ever one article about them doing something wrong. It would really be counter productive as well because would anyone even comment on them? Probably not because people love a good scandal, especially when it involves the police and would have nothing to say on a thread that offered praise instead of gripes.

I'm not saying this should be off limits, I'm all for talking about everything. Lets level the playing field, I've got some things that I would like to talk about but they are every bit as political as this and I know it wouldn't fly.
KungFuMaster
10/13/11 10:25:31PM

Posted by Adrenaline

I say this cautiously because I don't want to come off as "that guy" and this is nothing aimed at you Emfleek, your a good guy and are probably just sharing this because you found it interesting but....

How is this not a political thread? If I started a thread about some scandal say in Congress and everyone hopped on board and started posting how half of Congress is corrupt and how they make laws to benifit themselves, and they are not fair, etc. etc. etc.. the thread would get locked down in a hurry. Law Enforcement agencies are a political entities that are employed by the state and federal government. Police Officers are public servants, just like Congress, the President, any politician really.

So why can we make threads that concern one area of government but not another? It seems like once a month a thread about law enforcement pops up and its always something controversial but its fiar game to talk about. As has already been mentioned, a very small percentage of police officers do wrong and that should be common sense.

I had a thought to start flooding the locker room with stories about all of the great things police officers do but I knew that would just come off as annoying because I guarantee that there would be 1000 articles about the police doing something right for ever one article about them doing something wrong. It would really be counter productive as well because would anyone even comment on them? Probably not because people love a good scandal, especially when it involves the police and would have nothing to say on a thread that offered praise instead of gripes.

I'm not saying this should be off limits, I'm all for talking about everything. Lets level the playing field, I've got some things that I would like to talk about but they are every bit as political as this and I know it wouldn't fly.

I just want to know if you are a good cop or a bad cop? In your opinion of course...
Adrenaline
10/13/11 10:40:10PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Adrenaline

I just want to know if you are a good cop or a bad cop? In your opinion of course...

Do you assume I am a cop, or do you know I am? And secondly under what basis should I have to valid my character to you? What kind of person are you? Are you a good person, have you made any mistakes? In your opinon of course....

And police officers are not judged by "good". They are judged by "perfect", if you are not perfect, it is assumed that you are bad. So if you are going to ask atleast understand the level of scrutiny. So maybe I should rephrase my question. Are you perfect Kungfu?
telnights
10/14/11 1:43:04AM

Posted by Adrenaline
Do you assume I am a cop, or do you know I am? And secondly under what basis should I have to valid my character to you? What kind of person are you? Are you a good person, have you made any mistakes? In your opinon of course....

And police officers are not judged by "good". They are judged by "perfect", if you are not perfect, it is assumed that you are bad. So if you are going to ask atleast understand the level of scrutiny. So maybe I should rephrase my question. Are you perfect Kungfu?

I think your reading more into this than he was saying or even asking. To most of the public police will always be held to a high standard. That comes with being a police officer. We know this when we take the job. It's a thankless job 99% of the time. Its a respected and hated job, most of the time as well depending on that person's interactions with the law. Police do a great service there is no debating that but there are police out there that use the job rather than doing the job. I feel if all police at all levels did a better job about policing ourselves and coworkers there wouldn't be stories like this. That's because the problem people would be fired or removed from their position.

I don't know how things are within the force now days as its been years now and can change from place to place, but I do know there are always things that can be improved on. I also wish the news focused more on the positive side of things but that isn't how things work. Plus stuff like this affects large number of people. What these guys have done even if it was a good arrest or not now comes in to question. Depending on how many arrest these guys made it could be in the 1000's. Now does every news story need to be posted about bad cops? No, but do I have a problem with this one? Not at all because I know this story isn't going to change most people's minds about the police bad or good. Like I said earlier in my post, That judgement will almost always be made by the interactions people have with the police.

Now do I think this is political. Yes I do feel it is to a degree but he is a MOD and he knows that posting it means he has taken the job of MODing it.
ncordless
10/14/11 2:18:24AM
NYPD is gonna be bleeding money soon. That's what ends up really getting the departments in order once they go bad like this.

42 USC 1983 Every single innocent charged with a drug crime is going to be putting the city through the fire, and lot's of guilty people too.

I think the vast majority of police are in it for the right reasons. But there is nothing quite so dangerous as corruption in the police force. The top brass needs to know that they can't let pepole get out of control.
Adrenaline
10/14/11 2:36:05AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Adrenaline

I think your reading more into this than he was saying or even asking. To most of the public police will always be held to a high standard. That comes with being a police officer. We know this when we take the job. It's a thankless job 99% of the time. Its a respected and hated job, most of the time as well depending on that person's interactions with the law. Police do a great service there is no debating that but there are police out there that use the job rather than doing the job. I feel if all police at all levels did a better job about policing ourselves and coworkers there wouldn't be stories like this. That's because the problem people would be fired or removed from their position.

I don't know how things are within the force now days as its been years now and can change from place to place, but I do know there are always things that can be improved on. I also wish the news focused more on the positive side of things but that isn't how things work. Plus stuff like this affects large number of people. What these guys have done even if it was a good arrest or not now comes in to question. Depending on how many arrest these guys made it could be in the 1000's. Now does every news story need to be posted about bad cops? No, but do I have a problem with this one? Not at all because I know this story isn't going to change most people's minds about the police bad or good. Like I said earlier in my post, That judgement will almost always be made by the interactions people have with the police.

Now do I think this is political. Yes I do feel it is to a degree but he is a MOD and he knows that posting it means he has taken the job of MODing it.

Oh I most definitely read into more than what he intended It just seemed like a silly question to me so I hit the overkill button.

I'm all for the thread, I don't have a problem with it in the slightest. Everything you said was 100% correct and I know you had a career in Law Enforcement so its solid info.

And yes, I know Fleek is a mod, he is a good one, I wasn't questioning him or the thread itself (again, it does not bother me) I was simply wondering why almost everything is off limits but its open season on Law Enforcement when it is in essence politics.

Again, I'm not upset, offended, whatever. I'm just here for discussion. I almost didn't post anything but I couldn't resist.
ncordless
10/14/11 3:10:43AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by telnights

Posted by Adrenaline

Oh I most definitely read into more than what he intended It just seemed like a silly question to me so I hit the overkill button.

I'm all for the thread, I don't have a problem with it in the slightest. Everything you said was 100% correct and I know you had a career in Law Enforcement so its solid info.

And yes, I know Fleek is a mod, he is a good one, I wasn't questioning him or the thread itself (again, it does not bother me) I was simply wondering why almost everything is off limits but its open season on Law Enforcement when it is in essence politics.

Again, I'm not upset, offended, whatever. I'm just here for discussion. I almost didn't post anything but I couldn't resist.

How about this. . . I am going to move this thread over to the Padded Room where we won't be attracting random trolls making accounts just to enflame, and we will see if everyone can remain civil enough to keep this thing from turning into a problem. If we can, maybe we can revisit some of the decisions regarding politics.
KungFuMaster
10/14/11 4:58:31AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Adrenaline

I was looking for this thread and now it popped out of nowhere.

Anyway, yes - I assumed you were a peace officer. If the question sounded as if it was an attack, I apologize. I wanted to know what you thought of yourself. And yes, you do not have to validate anything if you do not want to...

Humans cannot be perfect. We can strive for it but we will never reach it. I don't expect you to be a perfect cop because you are by default imperfect already because you are human.

I wanted to hear from you what you thought of yourself if you are indeed a peace officer. I wanted to hear something along the lines of - "I try to be the best peace officer I can be...I will make mistakes like any human being but I will strive to uphold the law to the best of my ability and not let personal vendettas or prejudices influence me to do my job in a dishonorable fashion. I try to be fair to all citizens from all walks of life. I try to treat everybody as equals. I try to give the same unconditional respect to a White man as I would to a Black man or an Asian man. I know I am human and I will harbor prejudice against others who I do not understand but as a peace officer, I try to improve myself in those areas. I have less tolerance for certain groups of people but as each day goes by, I try to find peace in myself that one day I can learn to appreciate and tolerate those groups more. I have done things in my line of work which I am not proud of...I am still young but I hope to be better as I grow older. I want to serve my community in a positive way. I want to be remembered as a good peace officer and not some schmuck who was involved in controversial shootings or arrests. I want my tombstone to read that I was one of the best peace officers of my community. I want all members of my community to grieve for me because I have tried my very best to serve them well. I do not want my funeral to be occupied by only family and people of my color and creed. I like to know that I have served honorably and fairly that each color and creed of my community will grieve for me as I exit this life."
bojangalz
10/14/11 9:43:07PM
Don't think it's any secret to anyone here what I do for a living. I've found that I'm not going to change opinions (at least in the context of message board fodder) as to how anyone views police. It doesn't matter what opinions, feelings, or insight I voice to matters such as this in a venue like MMA message boards. So I'll refrain completely.

I will make mistakes like any human being but I will strive to uphold the law to the best of my ability and not let personal vendettas or prejudices influence me to do my job in a dishonorable fashion.

I couldn't resist however to offer up this:

It's the first thing that comes to mind anytime some mentions prejudice.

Adrenaline
10/14/11 10:19:06PM

Posted by bojangalz

Don't think it's any secret to anyone here what I do for a living. I've found that I'm not going to change opinions (at least in the context of message board fodder) as to how anyone views police. It doesn't matter what opinions, feelings, or insight I voice to matters such as this in a venue like MMA message boards. So I'll refrain completely.

I will make mistakes like any human being but I will strive to uphold the law to the best of my ability and not let personal vendettas or prejudices influence me to do my job in a dishonorable fashion.

I couldn't resist however to offer up this:

It's the first thing that comes to mind anytime some mentions prejudice.

How have I not come across that clip before?

And Kung Fu, that was well written so thank you. And cop or not, I'm a pretty damn good guy
Pages: [1] 2