Fabio Maldonado camp: 'Toughest SOB on UFC roster' considering drop to middleweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fabio Maldonado camp: 'Toughest SOB on UFC roster' considering drop to middleweight
FastKnockout
10/23/12 4:43:41PM
After enduring a brutal assault from top light heavyweight contender Glover Teixeira, Fabio Maldonado is at least considering a drop to 185 pounds.

Maldonado's manager, Alex Davis, said that his client hasn't yet made a commitment to middleweight, but he's certainly considering the option.

"Maldonado has been relying on his capability to withstand punishment, and it caught up with him," Davis told MMAjunkie.com. "Now I'm hearing he wants to drop to 185 pounds. I think it could be a good move."

LINK
BuffaloDave
10/23/12 4:58:55PM
Definitely would be a good move, I think the weight cut would be fairly easy for him.
prophecy033
10/23/12 5:20:11PM
Vitor vs Fabio?
frizzzlecake
10/23/12 5:31:46PM
This guy reminds me of Akyama, losing his way to titleshots!

Would love to see him fight Brian Stann..like seriously i'm drooling.
tcunningham
10/23/12 5:41:35PM
never have been to impressed with fabio. he looked soft at LHW so MW will probably suit him much better. he has some good body shots and is really durable but i see him getting torn up at MW too, i just dont think hes that good.
prophecy033
10/23/12 5:53:03PM

Posted by tcunningham

never have been to impressed with fabio. he looked soft at LHW so MW will probably suit him much better. he has some good body shots and is really durable but i see him getting torn up at MW too, i just dont think hes that good.

mid tier or slightly above
babalu46
10/23/12 6:08:48PM
Should be a good move for him but I agree that he just isn't good enough to compete in the UFC.

I know I won't be picking him to lose by KO or TKO.
sparky
10/23/12 6:13:30PM
Fabio is a lot better suited for middle weight he is just to small for light heavy weight. Not sure I'm convinced he will do any better at 185 though
kingsmasher
10/23/12 6:27:07PM
Well if he gets rid of the flab hes easy middleweight....So why not try for welterweight?
Poor_Franklin
10/23/12 6:36:26PM
i could see him make a Boetsch-like run at MW
ghandikush
10/23/12 6:48:37PM
give him a 5 rounder vs Sakara on a weak card
FastKnockout
10/23/12 6:50:41PM

Posted by tcunningham

The only guy that I'd consider "tore him up" is Glover. IMO he was on the wrong end of the decisions against Kingsbury and Pokrajac, but even in defeat he didn't make it easy for them that's for sure.
JLS1980
10/23/12 7:15:40PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Well if he gets rid of the flab hes easy middleweight....So why not try for welterweight?

Or maybe even Lightweight or Featherweight.
tmas
10/23/12 7:46:09PM
he is one of those guys you look at and say under rated.....or over rated. you just dont really know. I think he is better then his record shows.

I have him making a run at MW
prophecy033
10/23/12 7:47:36PM

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by kingsmasher

shit, why not Bantamweight
tcunningham
10/23/12 8:35:12PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by tcunningham

The only guy that I'd consider "tore him up" is Glover. IMO he was on the wrong end of the decisions against Kingsbury and Pokrajac, but even in defeat he didn't make it easy for them that's for sure.

i agree, the dude has power and is obviously durable, but that never got chris leban any kind of title shot. nothing against the guy, he's probably going to continue to give people a good show, but he's nothin special. mid pack is where he'll stay
Bubbles
10/23/12 11:12:31PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by kingsmasher

shit, why not Bantamweight

come on, there can only be one Florini
jae_1833
10/24/12 12:08:39AM
MW has a lot of wrestlers....don't see him going anywhere unless he fixes his ground game. If the UFC wants him to make them money they need to pair him up with a striker like the before mentioned Leben or Sakara....Cote could be fun too.
ghandikush
10/24/12 2:18:51AM

Posted by tcunningham

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by tcunningham

i agree, the dude has power and is obviously durable, but that never got chris leban any kind of title shot. nothing against the guy, he's probably going to continue to give people a good show, but he's nothin special. mid pack is where he'll stay

Other showy orgs hope for a guy whos durable with power

MFC for him!
prozacnation1978
10/24/12 8:09:14AM
He is a fight away from getting cut
Moving to 185 May be a good move