Now what? Faber and Pulver, who's next for these 2?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Now what? Faber and Pulver, who's next for these 2?
theguido
6/2/08 2:10:31PM
Besides a build up to a rematch what do you think the right road would be for each of these two extremely talanted fighters?
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/2/08 2:22:30PM
before leonard garcia's arrest i woulda thought he might fight either Faber or Pulver....but now im not so sure
theguido
6/2/08 2:29:42PM
Garcia vs Pulver would've been sick both have unbbelieveable chins. that would be a war.
nickcuc547
6/2/08 2:35:05PM
he should wait for garcia, it would be worth it. jens will probably get somebody like micah miller.
nickcuc547
6/2/08 2:39:27PM
faber could also be very close to a move to 155, he has been dominant enough to move up.
loller90278
6/2/08 2:58:57PM
i say let frankie edgar move down and fight faber, or have faber avenge his loss with tyson griffin either at 155 or 145.

for jens, i say give him micah miller. and if that would happen, i'd pick micah via triangle 2R
Styles
6/2/08 4:01:14PM
Jens would destroy Micah. I think a match between Yamamoto/Faber needs to happen... Kid would run through Faber quickly. Jens is stuck in that spot like Rich Franklin. He cant quite get past the champ but can easily destroy all the other guys. I would guess a fight between Jens and Miller would happen, but it wont be good for Miller. Swanson handled Micah with some ease.
scoozna
6/2/08 4:02:08PM
Barring a rematch, I don't think anyone can touch Faber at 145. The division will be a battle for No. 2 unless he moves up.
ocho-cinco
6/2/08 4:09:01PM

Posted by Styles

Jens would destroy Micah. I think a match between Yamamoto/Faber needs to happen... Kid would run through Faber quickly. Jens is stuck in that spot like Rich Franklin. He cant quite get past the champ but can easily destroy all the other guys. I would guess a fight between Jens and Miller would happen, but it wont be good for Miller. Swanson handled Micah with some ease.

"Kid would run through Fabar quickly." Really? are you sure about that? I dout BJ Penn would run through Fabar quickly. Dude is a beast.
holt8081
6/2/08 4:20:07PM
Faber would distroy Edger and I think he would beat tyson this time he as gotten a lot better.
whardin19
6/2/08 4:28:36PM
Very good question. After the fight I thought Faber's only move was to move up to the 155 division in the UFC. But I read an article where he said that he wasn't even thinking about it. He said that he was a small 145 so why would he move up to 155 where his strength wouldn't be an asset to him.

To me he's stuck in a comprimising postition. The WEC is running out of people for him to run through. His toughest test was Pulver and he won every round of that fight pretty easily. I didn't think he was in any trouble of losing any of those rounds. If he runs through a few more people he's going to have to seriously think about moving up to 155. Because people are going to start getting tired of watching Faber run through nobodies that don't have a chance. Plus I think he will make a whole lot more money if he makes the jump up.
masodd
6/2/08 4:47:06PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by Styles

"Kid would run through Fabar quickly." Really? are you sure about that? I dout BJ Penn would run through Fabar quickly. Dude is a beast.

Seriously, u think the BJ couldn't run through Faber, that's insane Bj would demolish faber and sub. him or ko him in the second easily.
Copenhagen
6/2/08 7:00:12PM
WEC has to bring in Kid from japan, like they brought Maeda to fight Miguel.
The-Don
6/2/08 7:04:33PM

Posted by whardin19

Very good question. After the fight I thought Faber's only move was to move up to the 155 division in the UFC. But I read an article where he said that he wasn't even thinking about it. He said that he was a small 145 so why would he move up to 155 where his strength wouldn't be an asset to him.

To me he's stuck in a comprimising postition. The WEC is running out of people for him to run through. His toughest test was Pulver and he won every round of that fight pretty easily. I didn't think he was in any trouble of losing any of those rounds. If he runs through a few more people he's going to have to seriously think about moving up to 155. Because people are going to start getting tired of watching Faber run through nobodies that don't have a chance. Plus I think he will make a whole lot more money if he makes the jump up.

Hmm I do not know about easily.. there were times Pulver caught Faber Pulver seemed almost releuctant to press his advantage when he had it.. Regardless I want to see a 2nd fight.. see what changes each would make.. I do not think either fighter expected the fight to go all 5 rounds... .. I knew Faber had decent stand up but he took it to a new level.. I wouyld not be surprised to see other fighters like some 155 guys moving down to fight someone like Faber ..

Regardless this fight more then lived up to its promotions.. Excelent event all around...
Naturaldisaster
6/2/08 7:36:49PM
garcia vs. Pulver.
and if they could get it worked out, the rematch between Urijah and Tyson griffin. not neccessarily a title fight because tyson is doin great in ufc, and he should stay there but they would have an absolute war, that I would love to see
cmill21
6/3/08 12:12:58AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by Styles

Kid is a better wrestler and more explosive on the feet, he's an olympic calibur wrestler and had a very good fight with Mike Zambis. I think Urijah's best chance would be a boring Lay n Pray since Kid could easily make BW.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/3/08 12:45:17AM
amagine kid yamamoto vs miguell torres or urijah faber. IMO kid would beat both guys . kid speaks good english. I dont know why he doesn't fight in the US . Im not sure for jens, he would run through ever other fw in the wec. a few wins by urijah and jens to hype up a rematch. jens should fight jeff curran next.
cmill21
6/3/08 1:15:05AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

amagine kid yamamoto vs miguell torres or urijah faber. IMO kid would beat both guys . kid speaks good english. I dont know why he doesn't fight in the US . Im not sure for jens, he would run through ever other fw in the wec. a few wins by urijah and jens to hype up a rematch. jens should fight jeff curran next.

He acctually wen't to school in the US. I believe the reason he stays in Japan is family history, his dad was in the olympics and a proud Japanese athlete. Just my guess, could be the sponsorship $$.
ocho-cinco
6/3/08 1:26:42AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by Styles

Kid is a better wrestler and more explosive on the feet, he's an olympic calibur wrestler and had a very good fight with Mike Zambis. I think Urijah's best chance would be a boring Lay n Pray since Kid could easily make BW.

I'm not saying Faber would win that fight for sure, but he would not get beaten easily or quickly.
The-Don
6/3/08 12:31:11PM
I think Kid and Faber would be a war on par with Faber Pulver.. though you may see more ground action.. Regardless having kid andpulver on fabers heels would make this divin all the more incredible...
scobac
6/3/08 3:47:15PM
I think Faber needs to make the jump to 55, he would be smaller but i dont think he would get handled. Besides you can always weight train and put more meat on your bones. I dont think there is enough quality guys at 45 to challenge him for the title. I think Jens would be much better if he branched out and trained at different camps not just mfs and boxing gyms. mfs isnt what it used to be. If he did that and faber moves up i think he would own that division.
rabbit915
6/3/08 11:29:35PM
Faber has a pretty long medical suspension, so the WEC has enough time to bring somebody in or build somebody up. I think Din Thomas said he was going to 145. If he could get a win or two before Faber's next fight, i think that would be a worhy matchup. Not a superfight but definately something i would watch. Im also interested in Mike Brown. I would like to see more of him but he could be another possibility.

Now as for the Yamamoto possibility, why does everyone insist on saying he is the best at 145? Hes been fighting at 135 for several fights now. Also, he just signed a fight with Dream to fight at 135. Its pretty clear thats his preferred weight class.
Pookie
6/4/08 3:55:19AM

Posted by Copenhagen

WEC has to bring in Kid from japan, like they brought Maeda to fight Miguel.

The only thing is, Kid is K-1 Heroes Posterboy making close to triple digits per fight. WEC paid urijah only $44,000 against pulver. They probably cant afford Kid right now.
KYGUY07
6/4/08 2:05:13PM
I dont think it matters who he fights, the guy is just untouchable, Jens hit him pretty hard and it didnt phase him, Curran had some great submission attempts and Urijah was so calm the whole time. I just cant see him losing at 145 to anyone.