Explosive Power

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Explosive Power
Lethal
7/30/07 2:06:43AM
What are some good training techniques, with or without equiptment, that will help with explosiveness both upper and lower body?
ocho-cinco
7/30/07 4:06:31AM
Medicine ball work is one way for upper body.
Mastodon2
7/30/07 7:58:54AM
Thai pad training is good, we do explosiveness drills, say, 25 left kick mid kicks, then 25 rights, and try and make each one explosive, instead of just getting lazy and slowing down. Its a good exercise because it helps you get your breathing technique down. Being able to properly time your breathing with your movements is essential for explovisness, once you stop breathing properly you start respiring anaerobically more and more, and you will quickly lose explosivness.

Explosive power goes hand in hand with breathing technique. Things like Medicine Ball tosses, Thai Pad work, Heavy Bag work, tackles on Tackle pads etc, can all be used to build explosiveness.
fedorwins1
7/30/07 12:02:38PM
Olympic lifts. Olyimpic lifters have been said to out run Olyimpic sprinters for a little bit.
SpiderSilva
7/30/07 1:20:16PM
the Medicine Ball works great
Rush
7/30/07 1:41:11PM

Posted by Lethal

What are some good training techniques, with or without equiptment, that will help with explosiveness both upper and lower body?

Plyometrics

Do a google search and you'll find out lots.
peachfuzzz1305
7/30/07 9:43:05PM
Punching with dumbells in ur hands will help u with power and explosiveness
Rush
7/31/07 10:13:54AM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

I would think this would only increase your chances of pulling your rhomboids.
casey64
7/31/07 11:24:00AM
The med ball
masodd
7/31/07 3:05:03PM
strap something that looks like a parachute and run into the wind.......leg press machine........medicine ball
Rush
7/31/07 5:17:19PM
Guys, you know just saying medicine ball doesn't really tell this person anything. Just lifting a medicine ball isn't really any different than lifting weights. It might be more helpful if you tell this person what type of exercises to do with the medicine ball.
fedorwins1
8/1/07 5:18:52PM
Also, put a medicine ball on the ground get in the pushup position and let you chest touch the top of the ball and then explode up as fast as you can and put your hands on top of the medicine ball. Try box jumps and sprints also.
Gladiator
8/1/07 11:12:33PM
i saw something pretty cool today at a sports store, it was this irregular-shaped ball that u roll on the floor and its designed to turn and change direction so that when u chase it u build core muscles (which always makes u more explosive. the best thing i know for building explosiveness is running suicides, where u run across a basketball court as fast as u can and touch the free-throw line then run back to the base line and then run to the half-court line then run back ect...
Signal2112
8/9/07 1:02:07PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

+1

Gotta be careful doing something like that, slinging that big weight on the end of your arm around might sound like a good way to get some more strength in your punches, but if you work it too hard you'll start pulling and tearing things like there is no tomorrow, I really wouldn't recommend it!

To gain some explosiveness, I'd reccomend increasing your anaerobic capacity. When the muscles capacity for "self reliance" in this manner increases, you'll find you can get a lot of explosive power out of them.
Lifes
8/9/07 2:27:25PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Rush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by peachfuzzz1305

This will only give you TEMPERORY explosive power. After some time, it's will give you more punching power at slower speed. Polymetrics push up is very good for explosive power.
alvin
8/14/07 1:18:07PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Olympic lifts. Olyimpic lifters have been said to out run Olyimpic sprinters for a little bit.

This is a true statement. Olympic lifters have higher vertical leaps than NBA players as well. Shane Hammons vertical is 40 in. and he weighs 375. Not bad.

The hard part is, it's all technique and takes years of practice to get it right, so I'd go with plyos instead and some power cleans.

Here is a quote I found, looking for the reference to the study.

"The jumping and running abilities of Olympic lifters were documented in the Mexico City Olympic Games where they out ran and out jumped the jumpers and sprinters in the vertical jump and 25m sprint! This is an amazing feat considering these men do not train specifically for jumping or running."
Svartorm
8/14/07 11:24:36PM

Posted by Signal2112

Posted by Rush

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

+1

Gotta be careful doing something like that, slinging that big weight on the end of your arm around might sound like a good way to get some more strength in your punches, but if you work it too hard you'll start pulling and tearing things like there is no tomorrow, I really wouldn't recommend it!

I do this with my kettlebell, but let it go at extention. Its a pretty decent workout, combined with lifting the thing off the ground each time.

Going through punching motions underwater is a decent way to gain a bit of speed and power as well. Doesn't work with most kicks though as it throws the balance off.
Rush
8/15/07 10:53:20AM
Yes, I forgot about water training. Very good.