Experience

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Experience
mrliquid
4/11/08 1:34:16PM
How long have your guys been training and fighting in MMA I became a purple belt in Taekwondo before I quit I also have been an amateur boxer for the last 3 yrs and I trained for 2 yrs with my cousins who all made it to nationals in wrestling and I wanted to start training at Gracie Barra Evolution in Tampa and I was just wondering how much experience people had before they started training MMA?
Svartorm
4/11/08 3:39:00PM
Sounds like you already have a good base going. I think BJJ would be a good option to suppliment your game, and then you can see what areas you'd like to expand and train accordingly. The Gracie Barra school would have the best idea of what you need to work to become a complete fighter and what areas you're weak in though.
Omega
4/11/08 10:38:37PM

Posted by mrliquid

How long have your guys been training and fighting in MMA I became a purple belt in Taekwondo before I quit I also have been an amateur boxer for the last 3 yrs and I trained for 2 yrs with my cousins who all made it to nationals in wrestling and I wanted to start training at Gracie Barra Evolution in Tampa and I was just wondering how much experience people had before they started training MMA?

Your question makes me cry. This old man is going to sit in the corner. Let me put it to you this way. Gloves were still optional when I was fighting mma. Matches were made up on the spot and I'm still trying to convince Sherdog to put my fight record up and they're asking me for a bloody website with the fight results. I'm like aol was barely around back then. To answer your question I trained 12 years in Judo and Kung-fu, 1 year in TKD, SAMBO and shootfighting by the time I got into mma/nhb.
The_Ho_Bag
4/11/08 11:44:15PM
well i have only been training in kickboxing since last yr march and i had 2 fights in kickboxing 1-1
about 6 months of Judo

and my 1st MMA fight is in July so idk i been doing it for about a year depends on your learning ability and dedication

P.S i went in w/ no Exp in anything
Jackelope
4/14/08 2:08:45PM
Wrestled through high school

4 years of Kenpo Karate

3 years on and off Wing Chun Kung Fu

BJJ while in the Army (4 years, but not studied all that often really) and then no-gi Eddie Bravo BJJ and Dutch Muay Thai for 6 months.

Been into exercise and lifting weights for 10 years.

I don't have a professional or amateur record to speak of. I've fought in a couple regional school tournaments, army grappling tournaments, army boxing smokers and mixed martial arts tournaments, but never a full contact MMA fight.

Overall I'm just a very casual practicioner who would love to get 100% serious but time and money get in the way. Recently I've been arguing with myself about giving up certain luxuries and training full time.
drunkel
4/15/08 8:50:17AM
TKD black belt
Karate green belt
Judo in college 4yrs competed every chance I got. I was a doorman in college and tried out my chokes and locks when I could. We took on all comers at our judo club, my coach was a prof and adviser for the criminal justice program so we had quite a few cops come train. Nothing better than slapping on a choke on a cop.
Trained at different Judo schools after college 2 yrs.
Mauy Thai 2.5 yrs.
White belt in BJJ, 2.5 yrs, changed schools twice.
Use kettlebells, crossfit, power ropes and other workouts to keep busy.
No record was supposed to fight twice but the events fell through.
Kracker_Jap
5/16/08 4:01:16AM
12 years wrestling........

started training to be a ninja in the womb.....