Exhausted Dana White: 'I will [expletive] die' making sure UFC gets to next level

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Exhausted Dana White: 'I will [expletive] die' making sure UFC gets to next level
Next Page »
Budgellism
10/10/11 6:35:03PM
All told, the UFC has booked 27 events this year.

In 2012, it's aiming to put on 34 shows, a 22 percent increase. In 2005, the year in which the promotion broke onto basic cable, 10 events filled the calendar.

Meanwhile, the UFC offices have spread into a new building. In about a month, the promotion arrives on network TV.

"This year was a big year for us," UFC president Dana White said. "But the next year is going to be the real big year for mixed martial arts. Next year is going to be the real big year for MMA. Next year is the one that's going to change everything and take it to the next level."

UFC on FOX 1 takes place Nov. 12 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and features a heavyweight title fight between reigning champ Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
10/10/11 7:25:47PM
I don't know how Uncle Dana does it, sleeping like 2-3 hrs a night with his hectic schedule.

Cracks me up when the average keyboard warrior talks smack, saying they could do a better job than Dana....truth is, the average "fan" wouldn't last one week in his shoes....keep up the great work
Kpro
10/10/11 7:36:27PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I don't know how Uncle Dana does it, sleeping like 2-3 hrs a night with his hectic schedule.

Cracks me up when the average keyboard warrior talks smack, saying they could do a better job than Dana....truth is, the average "fan" wouldn't last one week in his shoes....keep up the great work

This was years ago, but worth a read. His schedule has only become more insane since. I doubt the guy sleeps.

A day in the life of Dana White
Poor_Franklin
10/10/11 8:18:42PM
DFW deserves a spot in the UFC HOF. When the time comes, I'm sure they'll give it to him.

I LOVE DANA F@$#ING WHITE!!!!!!!!!
prophecy033
10/10/11 8:38:10PM
Love him or hate him, DW gets shit done. I love his dedication. I've only been that dedicated once. It involved a hangover and a fly. You guys know what I'm talking about
FastKnockout
10/10/11 8:40:40PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

That's just it. Dana isn't only a promoter, he's also a fan. The UFC wouldn't be the UFC without Big Daddy D.
DeadHead988
10/10/11 8:42:25PM

Posted by prophecy033

Love him or hate him, DW gets shit done. I love his dedication. I've only been that dedicated once. It involved a hangover and a fly. You guys know what I'm talking about

I know exactly what you're talking about!
jay98107
10/10/11 8:53:02PM
I don't even understand how people can hate Dana White. Sometimes he speaks a little too harshly/quickly, but the things he's done for the sport outweigh his negative attributes a million times over in my opinion.
prophecy033
10/10/11 9:09:17PM

Posted by jay98107

I don't even understand how people can hate Dana White. Sometimes he speaks a little too harshly/quickly, but the things he's done for the sport outweigh his negative attributes a million times over in my opinion.

sound a lot like Al Davis
quezocrema0032
10/10/11 9:17:54PM
As a fan who's currently working towards a degree in Journalism so I can hopefully cover the sport one day for a living, I must say I appreciate his effort. I hope he is succesful so hopefully one day I can achieve my goal. The bigger the UFC gets the more of a chance I can find some work in the future.

War Dana White
Manak
10/10/11 10:11:37PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by jay98107

I dont understand ppls hate for him, I know he swears but if you have meet any CEO or VP of multimillion/billion dollar companies, they all swear their balls off, The guys at that level arent normal and that is the reason y they are there because the amount they do is insane (atleast the good ones at their job). Dana has always been the same and never changed either. dude is awesome
KungFuMaster
10/11/11 2:51:55AM
It is going to sound weird but I really don't want the ufc to make it to the next level.

They are already putting on too many events. We had 4 events in 4 consecutive weeks. The goal for 2012 is to have 34 events which will equate to about 1 event for every week and a 1/2.

The reason baseball, football, and basketball continue to be the primary sports in America is because they all have seasons. They allow the fans to have down time to simmer and unwind. The down time lets the fans recharge and gear up for the next season.

Lately, I have not been able to recharge at all in between events.
KungFuMaster
10/11/11 2:59:02AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

It is going to sound weird but I really don't want the ufc to make it to the next level.

They are already putting on too many events. We had 4 events in 4 consecutive weeks. The goal for 2012 is to have 34 events which will equate to about 1 event for every week and a 1/2.

The reason baseball, football, and basketball continue to be the primary sports in America is because they all have seasons. They allow the fans to have down time to simmer and unwind. The down time lets the fans recharge and gear up for the next season.

What does this have to do with what everyone else is talking about?
Manak
10/11/11 3:20:41AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by KungFuMaster

I see what your are saying but its hard for them to have a season when there are different weight classes, but yea they might have to drop the ppv price with that many events to order even with the free ones on spike, plus other sports have a draft, mini camps, training camps, and a pre-season. cant see how the UFC can do that but i think you are right in having it year round makes burnout possible. i mean the lockout or the nfl actually worked great because it made the season so anticipated
airkerma
10/11/11 10:14:27AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by KungFuMaster

I see what your are saying but its hard for them to have a season when there are different weight classes, but yea they might have to drop the ppv price with that many events to order even with the free ones on spike, plus other sports have a draft, mini camps, training camps, and a pre-season. cant see how the UFC can do that but i think you are right in having it year round makes burnout possible. i mean the lockout or the nfl actually worked great because it made the season so anticipated

In the end with the quest for ratings and with so many fights, perhaps it would be smart to phase out TUF. Very few of them go on to be even UFC caliber. I for one have no problem with an event almost every week, it just made me miss college ball which I would gladly miss for a couple sick fights. In my opinion, every weekend should be UFC weekend, keep em coming uncle D.
airkerma
10/11/11 10:22:48AM
Also I have to say that Dana White's actions expose those commissioners from other sports for what they are: figureheads/puppets/media tools. This guy gets out there and does it, whereas the likes of Roger Goodell seem to have to ask and beg everyone to play nicely in order to keep their sports from collapsing. Understandably the situations are different, but it's good to see the boss of the organization having control over it, instead of groveling at the feet of different team owners. Like a boss
Bubbles
10/11/11 10:47:43AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by jay98107

I dont understand ppls hate for him, I know he swears but if you have meet any CEO or VP of multimillion/billion dollar companies, they all swear their balls off, The guys at that level arent normal and that is the reason y they are there because the amount they do is insane (atleast the good ones at their job). Dana has always been the same and never changed either. dude is awesome

there is a difference between doing it behind closed doors and live on camera. Stern, Selig, Bettman, and Goodell are professional infront of cameras and dress accordingly. Dana's mannerisms doesnt help the MMA detractors respect the sport.

btw here is Dana's first interview...watch it and then revisit that last line:
video
(im not sure how to imbed youtube vids on here...the sherdog method doesnt work lol
kingsmasher
10/11/11 10:52:21AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Maybe the average fan couldnt do it but I could...I bet anyone here could...The thing is yhe adrenaline rush from events and stuff would keep me going easily...Not to mention he has a big goal that drives him...Hes passionate about it..>When you have passion about what you do its easy to not sleep...
warglory
10/11/11 10:57:54AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Maybe the average fan couldnt do it but I could...I bet anyone here could...The thing is yhe adrenaline rush from events and stuff would keep me going easily...Not to mention he has a big goal that drives him...Hes passionate about it..>When you have passion about what you do its easy to not sleep...

Have you ever run a company before? It's difficult enough running a small business, but when you are the head of a multi-million dollar enterprise, it's a whole other level of complexity. As someone else said, it takes a special kind of person to run a corporation the size of the UFC, I highly doubt any of us could do it effectively without some sort of high level business acumen on our resumes.
airkerma
10/11/11 11:33:12AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Have you ever run a company before? It's difficult enough running a small business, but when you are the head of a multi-million dollar enterprise, it's a whole other level of complexity. As someone else said, it takes a special kind of person to run a corporation the size of the UFC, I highly doubt any of us could do it effectively without some sort of high level business acumen on our resumes.

I play age of empires all the time so I think I have what it takes to run a multi-million dollar company (collecting lumber, food and gold is like running a business). And I like MMA so I meet all of the qualifications, or at least that's what I'm getting from smashers post.
Manak
10/11/11 12:58:20PM

Posted by airkerma

Also I have to say that Dana White's actions expose those commissioners from other sports for what they are: figureheads/puppets/media tools. This guy gets out there and does it, whereas the likes of Roger Goodell seem to have to ask and beg everyone to play nicely in order to keep their sports from collapsing. Understandably the situations are different, but it's good to see the boss of the organization having control over it, instead of groveling at the feet of different team owners. Like a boss

u do realize that commissioners are hired directly by the owners so they in turn work for them. & goodell is prb the worst example to use seeing as he has helped restore there image of the nfl, aka players acting as they are above the law and being out of control (yes it still happens but ot as much). Not to mention he has openly taken paycuts, and as far as the lockouts, that is the players vs owners, the commissioner is just there to help but cant really do much
Manak
10/11/11 1:01:07PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Manak

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by jay98107

there is a difference between doing it behind closed doors and live on camera. Stern, Selig, Bettman, and Goodell are professional infront of cameras and dress accordingly. Dana's mannerisms doesnt help the MMA detractors respect the sport.

btw here is Dana's first interview...watch it and then revisit that last line:
video
(im not sure how to imbed youtube vids on here...the sherdog method doesnt work lol

he had alot more hair than soo i guess he has changed but good points
airkerma
10/11/11 1:32:53PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

u do realize that commissioners are hired directly by the owners so they in turn work for them. & goodell is prb the worst example to use seeing as he has helped restore there image of the nfl, aka players acting as they are above the law and being out of control (yes it still happens but ot as much). Not to mention he has openly taken paycuts, and as far as the lockouts, that is the players vs owners, the commissioner is just there to help but cant really do much

Yes, and you're simply proving my point further. Thanks
emfleek
10/11/11 1:36:10PM
I train UFC! I can does it!

Chael_Sonnen
10/11/11 2:00:10PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm going to dispose to you some words of Wisdom.....drink in moderation son.
Sir_Karl
10/11/11 3:23:25PM
I like Dana White, I respect him for what he has done for the UFC and the sport but guys, please, get your tongues out of his a-hole.
emfleek
10/11/11 3:26:38PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I like Dana White, I respect him for what he has done for the UFC and the sport but guys, please, get your tongues out of his a-hole.

This made me spit Mt. Dew onto my desk. Nice!
Manak
10/11/11 3:45:44PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

ok, but are any of those guys presidents of their league, no. there job is exactly what it is, hired by the owners to help control and regulate the players/owners, mainly players. yes the direct well being of the league effects the commissioners but as it says they are commissioners not the president of a company. Dana is directly responsible for the UFC and its business side hence why is title is president. I see it as two completely different jobs so cant really compare
ncordless
10/11/11 3:46:38PM
Dana sounds like he wants us to build him a cross to climb upon. I have no doubt Dana works hard, but I don't really like it when people make sure everyone knows how hard they work.
airkerma
10/11/11 3:58:01PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

ok, but are any of those guys presidents of their league, no. there job is exactly what it is, hired by the owners to help control and regulate the players/owners, mainly players. yes the direct well being of the league effects the commissioners but as it says they are commissioners not the president of a company. Dana is directly responsible for the UFC and its business side hence why is title is president. I see it as two completely different jobs so cant really compare

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just stating I like to see someone with the commitment and the ability to make these things happen. I like what the guy does, and I like that he can make it happen. My comparison is not a personal attack on the comissioners, just that they are unable to really make anything happen, which makes them more of figure heads with no real power. DW does so aggressively and successfully, hence why I am impressed.
Pages: [1] 2