UFC exec explains Bruce Lee's role in UFC on FUEL TV 6's promotional efforts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC exec explains Bruce Lee's role in UFC on FUEL TV 6's promotional efforts
FastKnockout
11/9/12 11:38:18AM
MACAU – The list of names plastered on the UFC's promotional materials in Macau isn't really surprising, save for one.

Headliners Rich Franklin and Cung Le are featured prominently in the UFC on FUEL TV 6 campaign, as are Korean fighter Dong Hyun Kim and Chinese competitor Tiequan Zhang.

But listed above them all is a man who passed away 20 years before the UFC made its debut: Bruce Lee.

LINK
george112
11/9/12 11:51:06AM
comments below the article almost hit the nail on the head.

its marketing. its the UFCs way of making bank in CHINA. which is why they don't honor lee here in the states.

saying that I do agree with Dana though. Lee was a damn big influence. but so was Royce. in a very direct way the UFC would not exist if it wasn't for the Gracie family.

I love Bruce Lee movies
grappler0000
11/9/12 12:20:37PM
They've actually done a number of things with Bruce Lee in the states over the last few years. This is an opportunity to make a big push though.
george112
11/9/12 12:26:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

They've actually done a number of things with Bruce Lee in the states over the last few years. This is an opportunity to make a big push though.

True enough. I remembered right after I posted

Sir_Karl
11/9/12 4:15:14PM
What upsets me is that only someone with very little knowledge of traditional martial arts would say that Bruce Lee was the father of MMA. All martial arts are MMA. They have all been influenced by other arts through the centuries and incorporated pieces of those arts into their systems. Many arts even incorporate techniques from animals into their systems. No martial arts was created in a vacuum. They have all been influenced by other arts. I am definitely not bashing Bruce as he was very instrumental in bringing martial arts into the mainstream but he is definitely not the father of mixed martial arts. My Sifu worked with Bruce's best friend and number one student Dan Inosanto for 15 years...so my system has a lot of ties to Bruce Lee and I am thankful for it and have very much respect for Bruce. My systems (Liu Seong) is just like any other system....it has many elements of various martial arts in the system. In fact the originator of my system Willem Reeders (Chinese name Liu Seong) was sought out by Bruce when Bruce first came to America. Supposedly Reeders taught Bruce some Kuntao (fist way). Not too long after is when Bruce changed his system from Jun Fan to Jeet Kune Do. There is no father of MMA. In fact there is no such thing as MMA....it is all MMA.