EXCLUSIVE: Ronda Rousey -- Becomes 1st Female Fighter to Join UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » EXCLUSIVE: Ronda Rousey -- Becomes 1st Female Fighter to Join UFC
Next Page »
prophecy033
11/8/12 8:44:26PM
 Roda Rousey just made MMA history ... becoming the very first female fighter to join the UFC ... TMZ has learned. Rousey -- a former U.S. Olympian -- has officially joined Dana White's MMA organization ... and automatically becomes the 135 lb women's champion. We're told 25-year-old Ronda will defend her title in 2013 -- possible opponents include Sara McMann, Cris Cyborg and rival Miesha Tate.Rousey has been fighting in Strikeforce since last year and emerged as a superstar ... beating the living crap out of just about everybody she's faced. In fact, she's undefeated. And there's more ... sources say Strikeforce, which airs on Showtime, will be running its last event in January before folding up shop for good. A rep for Strikeforce had no comment.It's a pretty crazy turn of events -- considering last year, Dana told TMZ women would "NEVER" fight in the UFC

Link
Gogoplatapus
11/8/12 8:52:43PM

my bad, link is broke but I was seriously hoping it was a hoax.

this is going to dull the living shit out of cards. fanboys and their loser boners win again. fml.
SmileR
11/8/12 8:54:55PM
Tmz are terrible reporters. until I hear it from a reputable source strikeforce lives. I don't get why they have brought Ronda over though. The women's divisions are too shallow to hold my attention.
BuffaloDave
11/8/12 9:05:29PM
george112
11/8/12 9:09:56PM
Glad this was a hoax.

I'm just not for women in the UFC.....yet
BuffaloDave
11/8/12 9:11:50PM

Posted by george112

Glad this was a hoax.

Not a Hoax
Budgellism
11/8/12 9:13:38PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

It's legit,

Strikeforce done after Jan. Card

Well I'm glad Strikeforce will be done but I have no interest in seeing Rousey in the ufc.
Gogoplatapus
11/8/12 9:14:40PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by george112

Glad this was a hoax.

Not a Hoax

My bad, I edited that right out of my comment. Was throwing people off I think.
DrivenDavies15
11/8/12 9:26:45PM
Wow this is crazy!! RIP Strikeforce but I have to say I'm extremely excited for new fighters coming over now.

As far as Rousey being the first female EVER in the UFC, congrats. That's an awesome achievement but I am pretty nervous on how women will fair in the UFC. That's 9 weight divisions in the UFC, which is crazy when you think about it.

I can see the number of fights per UFC event going up to 14 or 15 with all these new guys plus a whole new division. My mind is definitely spinning right now
prophecy033
11/8/12 9:27:38PM
Link should be fixed....no more mobile sites for me
kopower
11/8/12 9:27:55PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. I really only want to see Rousey fight Cyborg, and maybe a rematch with Tate, but I'm excited to see her fight on the big stage.
Shawn91111
11/8/12 9:35:18PM
Rousey/Cyborg and Silva/GSP in Dallas 2013
Shawn91111
11/8/12 9:38:29PM
UFC's pulling out all the stops in '13. If the ratings aren't a fair amount better, thats a BAD sign for MMA. Could be on an endless decline
sparky
11/8/12 9:43:27PM
Prophecy this just made my day brother you know it did

WAR RONDA ROUSEY & WAR THE UFC

I've been waiting for this ever since the first time I watched Ronda snatch an arm off
JackHammerXXX
11/8/12 9:49:33PM
Alil unsure how big, or active the divisions will be, but obviously a decision that had to be made on the UFCs part. I mean, strikeforce is folding, what are you gonna do let Rousey go to Invicta? Or somewhere else? No way. But aside from the Cyborg fight, the thought that now that women are in the UFC, does that entice Carano to comeback? There really aren't any matchups I can think of, macmann, Tate rematch?
Inspite of any hesitance, this is progressive and that's been the UFC's motive and flagship, being the 'leader' and 'innovators' of the sport. Having women in the UFC can only help the sport grow, and who's to say that it's only for men participate to be a part of?

Strikeforce folding, going out with a bang. Guys like Melendez, Rockhold, Cormier, even Barnett and Marquardt deserve to be in the UFC and are desired acquisitions, but WSOF may be hunting for some of them just as hard, I could see Barnett going to fight Arlovski for an inaugural heavyweight title spring '13. I'd like Nate to come back to UFC and fight somebody top 10, remember he demolished Kampmann and ktfo of Maia in 20 seconds! Diaz marquardt would be sweet. Rockhold fights Belcher after they both win their fights, Melendez fighting Alvarez could be a reality sooner than later, I personally wanna see him fight winner of Maynard/Lauzon. Cormier gets a top 5 guy at either LHW or HW

Big news today. Rousey better keep the shorts
george112
11/8/12 9:51:48PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by george112

Glad this was a hoax.

Not a Hoax

Hoax or not. I still stand by what I said
FastKnockout
11/8/12 9:56:54PM
I'm not against WMMA but don't like the thought of them taking up event spots. Hope they just decide to increase the number of fights on each card.
Bubbles
11/8/12 10:09:35PM

Posted by Shawn91111

UFC's pulling out all the stops in '13. If the ratings aren't a fair amount better, thats a BAD sign for MMA. Could be on an endless decline

or it reached a plateau
prophecy033
11/8/12 10:09:57PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm not against WMMA but don't like the thought of them taking up event spots. Hope they just decide to increase the number of fights on each card.

or throw them on the undercards of the Fuel cards except for title fights. It will take awhile to build up the WMMA brand but it can be done
infestructure
11/8/12 10:29:36PM

Posted by FastKnockout

jae_1833
11/8/12 10:43:47PM
So long as everyone understands that Cyborg is going to absolutely destroy her and don't cancel her contract (and thus the division because of it) then I am in agreement. Maybe they signed her just for a couple of "fun" fights instead of creating a whole Women's league in the UFC.
Manak
11/8/12 11:01:53PM
can the UFC afford this many ring girls???
grappler0000
11/8/12 11:03:40PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

or it reached a plateau

The casual fan is confused as shit right now. It's hard to say what's in store for the long term, but we'll probably be knocking on 2014's door before the stability even sets in with the casuals.
prophecy033
11/8/12 11:06:14PM

Posted by jae_1833

So long as everyone understands that Cyborg is going to absolutely destroy her and don't cancel her contract (and thus the division because of it) then I am in agreement. Maybe they signed her just for a couple of "fun" fights instead of creating a whole Women's league in the UFC.

Yeah, im with you in that Cyborg will beat Ronda's face in pretty good. She trains with grown ass men and im pretty sure she can defend a armbar ling enough to punch Ronda a few dozen times.
tallica62
11/8/12 11:28:13PM
1. Dana has a hard on for Ronda..hence why she's here

2. Ronda is legit and a world beater

3. Women's MMA fights are usually entertaining - they have a good amount of finishes and good technical BJJ

4. I agree though, the womens divisions are way too shallow. Maybe 2 fights a year?

5. It's not fair she automatically gets the belt. That's because of Dana's crush

6. Although we all know it, Dana is the worlds biggest hypocrite - can someone find his quote of "women will never be in the UFC"
Franklinfan47
11/8/12 11:37:53PM
It sounds to me like Zuffa knew Strikeforce was done and they could either:

a) Let her out of her contract and run the risk of some other promotion capitalizing on all her popularity and attention.

b) Bite the bullet and take a chance on a woman's division. At the very least the Cyborg vs Rousey fight will pull in interest and make some moolah.

Oddly enough, Zuffa elected for the option that makes money
Dberntson
11/8/12 11:54:20PM
Women's MMA is the equivalent of the WNBA. You could take mediocre low level regional guys at the same weight and they would likely beat Ronda. I have no interest.
prozacnation1978
11/9/12 12:09:26AM
Sorry but I won't ever travel to a event with a women main event
Biggavelli
11/9/12 12:19:25AM
Hell yeah

Shame about Strikeforce
crushedbacon
11/9/12 12:45:22AM

Posted by tallica62

1. Dana has a hard on for Ronda..hence why she's here

2. Ronda is legit and a world beater

3. Women's MMA fights are usually entertaining - they have a good amount of finishes and good technical BJJ

4. I agree though, the womens divisions are way too shallow. Maybe 2 fights a year?

5. It's not fair she automatically gets the belt. That's because of Dana's crush

6. Although we all know it, Dana is the worlds biggest hypocrite - can someone find his quote of "women will never be in the UFC"

1 year ago...

Dana says...
Pages: [1] 2