Exclusive Interview: Tom Atencio -- Affliction VP, Talks about UFC's July 19th card, Dana and more.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Exclusive Interview: Tom Atencio -- Affliction VP, Talks about UFC's July 19th card, Dana and more.
Bemin
7/8/08 8:52:55PM
Hey, Tom. Thanks for taking the time to talk. Dana White has counter programmed on July 19th, offering a free Spike show that will feature Anderson Silva. What are your thoughts on that?

I think it's flattering. I mean, come on, that means we're obviously a threat to him. It means we're obviously in competition with him because he wouldn't be doing it if we weren't. So my guess from the polls and from what everybody's saying, they're gonna buy my pay per view or come to the fight and they're gonna Tivo or tape this fight because it's free.

That's what I'm doing.

Yeah, exactly. That's all I had to do is ask you. Just think about it. It just gives the people who were not going to buy my pay per view something to do now.

There does seem to be a lot of brand loyalty with some UFC fans, so they're glad they're getting something to watch that night other than your event.

Exactly. I think the guys that weren't going to buy my pay per view, they're still not going to buy it, so that's okay. Like I said, obviously we're some kind of a threat, because if we weren't he wouldn't even be thinking twice about us.

I noticed a little bit of guerrilla marketing on the Affliction side as well. You guys have taken old quotes from Dana about your fighters and are using them on advertisements. Whose idea was that?

(Laughs) We have a great team here and we're doing everything we can to make sure that everybody knows about our show.

Link
dstlvb
7/8/08 9:44:22PM
After reading that interview i have nothing but respect for Tom and Affliction. If this card goes well, i dont see why anyone wouldnt want this guy around MMA.
lordicast
7/8/08 10:00:33PM

Posted by dstlvb

After reading that interview i have nothing but respect for Tom and Affliction. If this card goes well, i dont see why anyone wouldnt want this guy around MMA.

w0rd