Exclusive Interview: Josh Koscheck

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Exclusive Interview: Josh Koscheck
SmileR
7/3/08 8:30:53PM
CagePotato.com: Not to take anything away from Chris Lytle, but he has a losing record in the UFC. Do you feel like you should be fighting a higher-ranked welterweight at this point?
Josh Koscheck: No. After my loss to Georges St. Pierre I have to work my way back up through the ranks. In order to be the #1 contender you have to beat whoever they put in front of you, and that’s my plan.

What part of Lytle’s game are you most concerned about?
I don’t really know too much about him, I just know he’s pretty good on his feet and he’s got pretty good jiu-jitsu. My concerns are myself — coming in prepared, which I definitely am, and taking the opportunity to get the job done.

This is the first fight on your new UFC contract extension. Would you say you’re getting paid what you deserve now?
I don’t know that answer; that’s up to my managers. My job is to train and fight. My managers got me the contract so I guess that’s what I deserve right now. Obviously, it’s human nature to want more money. You probably want more money to interview me today. But it’s just a matter of time. Yeah, UFC fighters deserve a lot more money, and it’s coming. The sport’s growing, and as the UFC brand grows, the fighters will make more money.

Do you have any interest in fighting Diego Sanchez again? Your last fight with him was called into question because he was supposedly suffering from a staph infection at the time. Do you feel the need to prove it was a legitimate win?
I’ve fought with staph infections before too. I beat up Jonathan Goulet while I had a huge staph infection in my leg — I never told anybody because that’s a ******* excuse. [Sanchez] should stop making excuses, and a win is a win. If his staph infection was so bad, he shouldn’t have stepped into the Octagon. People fight with injuries all the time; the bottom line is, don’t make excuses for losing. I’m just focused on winning this fight against Lytle. I don’t care too much about Diego Sanchez or anyone else in the weight class right now.

Link
silverbullet
7/3/08 8:53:08PM
How can you not like the guy. Lytle will be a good test for him