Exclusive Interview: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Exclusive Interview: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
SmileR
9/15/08 8:50:59PM
In some of the past seasons of The Ultimate Fighter, the coaches built up great rivalries. Was there ever any hostility between you and Frank Mir? Did he get on your nerves in any way?
ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA: No, there wasn’t much of that; we have a lot of respect for each other. If there were arguments they were between the fighters themselves. I went there to do my job. I went to teach the guys, with the goal of not getting involved in fights with the guys inside the house or from the show, but to train them instead. That was my idea. I did my part and Frank did his. At times I was pissed at some of them because some of the guys were picking fights inside the house, and they would lose their control. There was one who wouldn’t quit picking fights, but overall nothing too major.

What do you think of Frank, as a person and as a fighter?
He is a good fighter, very strong, and he has great jiu-jitsu skills. He is also a very cool and nice guy, but he is my opponent, so I am training to fight him.

What’s your strategy going to be when you fight him in December? Would you rather fight him on the ground or standing?
There isn’t really a strategy; my strategy is to finish him. We don’t really choose if the fight will be standing up or on the ground. Whatever happens I will be ready for it.

After he lost to Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson partially blamed his performance on the fact that, because of The Ultimate Fighter, he’d gone 10 months between fights. Are you concerned that your own long layoff will affect your performance?
Well, the last time Frank Mir fought was the last time I fought, so the truth is that we both have the same disadvantage. I really don’t like to go such a long time without fighting; never in my life have I gone without fighting for this long. This does make a difference, but this is my job and I will fight when the day comes.

Link
saemskin
9/15/08 9:10:31PM
CANT WAIT!!!
Nog and Mir are such respectful and knowledgable fighters.
I love them both. I really hope this is going to be a ground battle. But, I thought his co-coaches were going to be Lil Nog, Anderson Silva, and Machida? The interview seems to imply otherwise. eh?
warglory
9/15/08 9:10:32PM
Nog hit the nail on the head, doing this show was something he didn't have to do, but he agreed to it, and as a result, it has become his job to do good work. So many fans and fighters alike fail to realize sometimes that these guys, as glorious as their jobs may seem, have to earn their money just like everyone else. When Quinton complains that the Ultimate Fighter layoff helped in his undoing, that is just a sorry excuse from a former UFC champion. I guarantee you'll never catch Nog acting like this.
saemskin
9/15/08 9:20:30PM
Quinton Jackson is a EDIT "not a nice person". I can't wait for Wandy to smash his damn face in with knees.

Did you see that video where he was playing video games and talking trash on Wanderlei? Just saying mean stuff. That made me wonder, but when he started making excuses about the fight with Forrest, then later on, outright trash talking when after the damn fight he willingly admitted he lost to a better fighter. When someone back tracks and double talks I lost respect for them. But when they do it in the fashion Quinton does, where he tralks nonsensical and straight up mean TRASH, it is very pathetic.
Quinton has proven to me he is NOT a champion at heart. He is an excuse making EDIT "not a nice person"! Him and Tito should get a cabin together and then they can talk shit and whine all day long while they hold hands forming a circle of greatness that no one else can possible understand.
SmileR
9/15/08 9:33:55PM
If i was you and wanted to not be banned I'd change that post man.
saemskin
9/15/08 9:39:37PM
you're right, that was walking the line wasn't it?

Thanks man!
haggiswashere
9/15/08 10:24:36PM
im so excited for the fight. I don't care about couture and lesnar. I think nog can beat couture and lesnar and if mir wins he could too.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/15/08 11:47:23PM

Posted by saemskin

Quinton Jackson is a EDIT "not a nice person". I can't wait for Wandy to smash his damn face in with knees.

Did you see that video where he was playing video games and talking trash on Wanderlei? Just saying mean stuff. That made me wonder, but when he started making excuses about the fight with Forrest, then later on, outright trash talking when after the damn fight he willingly admitted he lost to a better fighter. When someone back tracks and double talks I lost respect for them. But when they do it in the fashion Quinton does, where he tralks nonsensical and straight up mean TRASH, it is very pathetic.
Quinton has proven to me he is NOT a champion at heart. He is an excuse making EDIT "not a nice person"! Him and Tito should get a cabin together and then they can talk shit and whine all day long while they hold hands forming a circle of greatness that no one else can possible understand.

you do realize that video where quinton is playing video games and talking sh1t was years ago. That was before they fought the second time. I do hope wanderlei destroys him, not because i dislike quinton , but because im a huge wanderlei fan . Gsp back tracked with his statements on serra , did you lose respect for him? Both fighters wanted to keep it classy right after the fight and eventually couldnt hold in their honest feelings,

something on topic : Nog is all class and a true legend.