Exclusive: Arlovski vs. Fedor likely to be scrapped, Arlovski vs Barnett expected to be the Headliner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Exclusive: Arlovski vs. Fedor likely to be scrapped, Arlovski vs Barnett expected to be the Headliner
juanez13
8/2/08 12:13:58AM
FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned late Friday that a proposed main event for Affliction’s second-ever show on Oct. 11 between WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski appears to be off for the time being.

A reliable source speaking on the condition of anonyomity revealed to Five Ounces of Pain that Emelianenko has been dealing with a lingering hand injury that will make it virtually impossible for him to be ready in time for Affliction’s October show at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

LINK
SmileR
8/2/08 12:19:20AM
Excuses, excuses.... Fedors dodging Arlovski and now the world knows it!
juanez13
8/2/08 12:22:00AM
Ey they wouldnt give out a 6 month suspension for nothing

But Bummer....
SmileR
8/2/08 12:24:39AM
Heres hopping man! AA for the win!!!!!
juanez13
8/2/08 12:27:49AM

Posted by SmileR

Retract my earlier comment, looks like the Want to make Arlovski vs Barnett

Arlovski is expected to remain on the card and event organizers are said to be looking into finalizing a bout between Arlovski and Josh Barnett to serve as the show’s new main event.

Mayhem13
8/2/08 12:30:45AM
Arlovski vs Barnett is still a good fight!

suck though cause I wanted to see Arlovski school Fedor....haha

Arlovski vs Barnett
Belfort vs Lindland
Babalu vs Tito

looks like this card is a lot more even in the matchups..all 3 of those are hard to pick...if hey happen
SmileR
8/2/08 12:32:40AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by SmileR

Retract my earlier comment, looks like the Want to make Arlovski vs Barnett

Arlovski is expected to remain on the card and event organizers are said to be looking into finalizing a bout between Arlovski and Josh Barnett to serve as the show’s new main event.

AA first round KO! No way he'll GnP AA, its turning into Pride again, Barnett could beat Fedor if he could get past the guys standing in his way. Or maybe I'm just a nuthugger!
juanez13
8/2/08 12:33:52AM
yea, that was the only downer of the first Afflicition, alot of loopsided match ups (not a single underdog won), but now the winner of that card facing each other defenately makes for more even matches.

Wolfenstein
8/2/08 12:40:17AM
I remember reading that he had a hand injury on the list of injuries for the show. So I thought this could happen, but then I said to myself. "Well Vitor broke his hand, and he's fighting so how much worse could Fedor's be?"
loller90278
8/2/08 12:41:20AM
wow, this is a sweet, sweet match up. i like this one better than the fedor-arlovski fight. arlovski definitely has the edge standing up, but barnett i believe has the edge on the ground, but both are well rounded.

i dont know how to pick this one yet
cmill21
8/2/08 12:51:35AM

Posted by luke420187

I remember reading that he had a hand injury on the list of injuries for the show. So I thought this could happen, but then I said to myself. "Well Vitor broke his hand, and he's fighting so how much worse could Fedor's be?"

Fedor has chronic hand problems. The power he's able to produce is amazing and it seems to take a huge toll on his hands. I think Barney will get AA, If AA can keep it up and at a bit of a distance he can use kicks leading to a win, but Barney's so well rounded I think he's a bit of a favorite.
Twenty20Dollars
8/2/08 1:09:55AM
I guess this will be the #1 contender fight. Disapointing though.
coldchillin
8/2/08 3:07:23AM
perhaps Barnett will finally get some of the recognition he deserves with an impressive performance here. I see this fight playing out similar to Barnett's fight with Aleskander Emelianenko, he'll start to lose the fight on the feet and he'll take down Arlovski and submit him. Arlovski did look amazing against Rothwell, so these two should make for a very intriguing fight.
Manak
8/2/08 3:50:09AM
still a good fight, but i think this is a bad match-up for barneet cause AA is amazing on his feet n very hard to takedown. AA 2nd RD KO/TKO.... cant wait to see AA v fedor been waiting so long for that fight
MMAcca
8/2/08 5:06:27AM

Posted by coldchillin

perhaps Barnett will finally get some of the recognition he deserves with an impressive performance here. I see this fight playing out similar to Barnett's fight with Aleskander Emelianenko, he'll start to lose the fight on the feet and he'll take down Arlovski and submit him. Arlovski did look amazing against Rothwell, so these two should make for a very intriguing fight.

casketcoin
8/2/08 9:12:10AM
im not beleiving it yet
snakeplissken
8/2/08 12:12:02PM
Thats of course if Affliction can afford to put on another show....
prozacnation1978
8/2/08 1:57:22PM
i love the fact how afflication pays the fighters more to make a point they need more money just ask for 50% pay cuts
don't have the money to pay fedor so soon i bet
sparky
8/2/08 7:54:19PM
this isnt what i wanted to see but it is still an awesome match up ........barnett is gunna lose on the feet and try takin it to the mat jus to find out arlovski has a decent ground game.........prolly y he has never been tapped out...........i see arlovski winning a unanimous decision on this one......a lot of in and out for arlovski and a lot of leg kicks he will jus be to much for barnett late in the fight IMO!!!!!
BlueSkiesBurn
8/2/08 9:34:24PM
They are just pulling Fedor out of this fight so he doesn't lose and all the sparkle of Couture vs Fedor isn't stripped for the March show. *

*=denotes sarcasm