EXCLUSIVE - Bisping: “I wouldn’t let Maia do any of that pulling guard bullshit with me”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » EXCLUSIVE - Bisping: “I wouldn’t let Maia do any of that pulling guard bullshit with me”
Rampage200
12/19/08 3:45:48AM
UK middleweight contender, Michael “The Count” Bisping has warned talented Brazilian Demian Maia if their paths were to cross in the future, he wouldn’t allow him to pull guard on him like he has done with past opponents and that he’d knock him out first.

Continued...
kaskd
12/19/08 3:58:23AM
I got my money on Maia tapping him out in the first round.
ufc88
12/19/08 4:25:00AM
yeah i like bisping but maia would take him out, bisping doesnt have the power to end it in 1 shot
MikeyG
12/19/08 4:55:52AM
there ya go mikey b. makin' more friends with words
MMAcca
12/19/08 6:29:08AM
Knock him out first ? Like he doess he does with so many other opponents ?

I hate when Bisping talks BS like this, probably why so many people don't like him.

He should show some respect to a fighter as dangerous as Maia
Porch28
12/19/08 7:29:47AM
He's right he wouldn't let Maia pull guard. That's because Maia would do what he wants with Bisping. Maia by 2nd round sub but some how the judges pick Bisping to win and the ruling stands......
4u2nv
12/19/08 9:03:33AM
I hate it when he starts talking smack... oh well i guess its the game they play mentally. Maybe he has to believe in everything he says so he can stay sharp and not stress. Its true he wouldn't be able to pull guard but i can see him scoring a judo toss in the 3rd round and quickly to side control and then arm choke Bisping UK as$ out.
wiggum
12/19/08 9:36:12AM
Personally i think bispings ground game is very underated...i think he's savvy enough to stay out of submissions and impose his will, most likely on the feet..he wont tap miaea of course but i think his got enough skill to stay out of letting demian play his game....if they fought i think it would go to decision in favor of bisping...as far as the comment goes tho, who cares? Let fighters talk, watch them back it up or not when the time comes
Chieftan1997
12/19/08 9:40:25AM
Maia rd 1 sub easily. Bisping is way overrated
jomatty
12/19/08 9:55:30AM
bispings ground game may be underappreciated and he very well may be able to stay away from the subs of the vast majority of fighters. maia however is in a different league than pretty much all of the other guys that bisping is likely to run into and has a very good chance of getting tapped if the two should ever meet...
The_Italian_Stallion
12/19/08 10:48:42AM
All I know is that Nate Quarry has hands a hundred times more dangerous than Bisping and Bisping isn't know for his wrestling or takedown stoppage.

Put two and two together and I'd say a late first round submission, my guess would be Maia passing guard, getting full mount and into an armbar.
HumanTarget
12/19/08 10:52:37AM
Underrated ground game? Not to play on Mccarthy, but he almost submitted Bisping in the first round. Imgaine Maia, he would ******* kill him.
AO
12/19/08 11:00:57AM

Posted by wiggum

Personally i think bispings ground game is very underated...i think he's savvy enough to stay out of submissions and impose his will, most likely on the feet..he wont tap miaea of course but i think his got enough skill to stay out of letting demian play his game....if they fought i think it would go to decision in favor of bisping...as far as the comment goes tho, who cares? Let fighters talk, watch them back it up or not when the time comes

ok hold on.

You think Michael Bisping has good enough sub defense to stop Maia?
wiggum
12/19/08 12:19:32PM

Posted by HumanTarget

Underrated ground game? Not to play on Mccarthy, but he almost submitted Bisping in the first round. Imgaine Maia, he would ******* kill him.

first, quarrys stand up is not great at all, very sloppy and technically poor and hes tentative and doesnt come straight foward (unless you include the starnes fight ha)...his power is what gets him by....and his wrestling is not better better than bispings...i like quarry so im not hating and im no bisping lover for starters, but i do call it like i see it......bispings standup is very good, even though he lacks power....he does have takedown defense and scrambling abilities to get back to his feet as shown in the rashad evans fight and even somewhat in the hamill fight, considering how good of wrestlers they are....both of whom are a lot better at takedowns than the bjj minded damian

in regards to underated ground game, he does, plain and simple....granted day and mccarthy among others are not the level of damien, but both are very accomplished on the ground and couldnt do anything...reason being this isnt a bjj match....mccarthy might have got SOMEWHAT close to a submission, but at the end of the day he didnt get it, he didnt even get close...fighters get that close to a submission multiple times in fights, so a missed opportunity doesnt mean a thing

at the end of the day tho this is all mma math, and it makes the head hurt......the ole addege of styles make fights....bispings style is not a good one for damian, he's too relentless and applies too much pressure for damians style.....i do agree that damian is dangerous and could catch bisping, im not saying that bisping could walk thru him...but i think bisping wins 7 times out of 10 at this point in there careers
wiggum
12/19/08 12:23:44PM

Posted by AO

Posted by wiggum

ok hold on.

You think Michael Bisping has good enough sub defense to stop Maia?

yes, yes i do

like in my above post, im not saying that maia couldnt catch bisping, or that bisping would walk thru him...but i think the majority of the time, bisping beats maia.....this isnt a bjj match, and bisping isnt ed herman or even jason mcdonald for that matter.....like i said, im not a bisping lover, but he is a legit up and coming contender and at this point in his career and thats that....maia's bjj skills in mma wont carry him past a guy like bisping.....maybe in the future if he keeps trainging to improve his all around game.. but right now, i see bisping winning 7 times out of 10
Wolfenstein
12/19/08 2:56:49PM
I don't think there's much Michael can do about it. That sweep by Maia over Nate Quarry was almost instantaneous with him pulling guard. I was shocked how quickly it happened.

I'm sure Bisping would put up a good fight, because there's definetely a strategic gameplan he could implement that would be difficult for Maia to overcome. Mainly using ring movement and crisp boxing to keep Maia at bay, as well as use his solid takedown defense. Rashad had a really tough time taking Bisping down, and he's a decorated wrestler. Maia would probably have to pull guard to get Bisping down, but I think he'd eventually get it from there, and it's nappy time shortly thereafter.
supatolacyl
12/19/08 3:12:49PM
Bisping hasn't been in the headlines lately so he hadt o do something to get himself back in there. Bisping has to believe that, because if he can't avoid Maia (who is pretty darn slick about getting guys to the ground) pulling guard he knows he is in trouble. Also, I think Bisping is trying to spring board himself forward in getting a match with an oppanent who is further up the ladder then himself, which is understandable; However, there is only two matches I want to see with Maia and that is Thales and Silva, both would be fantastic fights especially if they went to the ground.
MikeyG
12/19/08 3:57:55PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by HumanTarget

first, quarrys stand up is not great at all, very sloppy and technically poor

credibility temporarily lost
Pookie
12/19/08 8:05:07PM

Posted by wiggum

...and his wrestling is not better better than bispings.

well actually yes, quarry's wrestling is alot better than bispings.
Wallass
12/19/08 8:55:26PM
Someone repost this title when Maia chokes him out in the first round. I love when Big mouths get theirs, from guys who dont talk shit.
thefightexpo
12/19/08 10:00:29PM
Should be a Fun matchup
mictlantechutli
12/19/08 10:32:23PM

Posted by wiggum

...and his (Quarry) wrestling is not better better than bispings

Maia is probably top 5 in the world in any weight class in BJJ. I'm all for fighters having confidence in their abilities, but Maia subs him in the first round 8 out of 10 times making Bisping look like an amateur in the process. And if you think that Bisping is half the wrestler that Quarry is, you need to brush up on your history. Quarry was one of the original Straight Blast Gym guys.. you know, the dudes that developed the Greco Roman clinch game for MMA (Matt Thornton, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture). Yea.. because those guys don't know jack about wrestling
wiggum
12/22/08 1:04:23PM

Posted by mictlantechutli

Posted by wiggum

Maia is probably top 5 in the world in any weight class in BJJ. I'm all for fighters having confidence in their abilities, but Maia subs him in the first round 8 out of 10 times making Bisping look like an amateur in the process. And if you think that Bisping is half the wrestler that Quarry is, you need to brush up on your history. Quarry was one of the original Straight Blast Gym guys.. you know, the dudes that developed the Greco Roman clinch game for MMA (Matt Thornton, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture). Yea.. because those guys don't know jack about wrestling

wow...way to take it personal.....i agree the maia is top 5 in bjj in the world, but this is mma...he's beating some good guys along the way as well, i cant argue that either....and he has the potential to go far......but just because they have world class skill in a certain department, doenst guarantee a win.....thats nice quarry was an original, doesnt mean hes a great wrestler....along those lines randy couture should be a top notch striker just cuz he trains with shawn tompkins....leben trained with those guys, and the few times that wresting played into his fight with bisping, bisping out wrestled him.....which considering that leben atleast wrestled in high school and quarry didnt, i would say with your logic, that bisping is the better wrestler since he outwrestled leben....that would be true, if i believed in mma math....and just cuz quarry trained at a certain place means nobody else in mma can learn how to wrestle good? if you think that then i suggest watching some gsp clips.....not hating on ya, but your statement had some holes and centered on a point about quarry having bad wrestling that i didnt even say

to respond to earlier comments that were responded too, my credibility should not be temporay lost beacuse i think that quarry only gets by on striking becausee of his power....i wrestled in high school and a little in college but i primarily come from a boxing/kickboxing background, so i automatically pick up things in the striking deparment.....for starters he is sloppy, his hands are stationary, his accuracy is average at best and he lacks anything resembling head movement as well as his combinations being day one stuff

im not a quarry hater, i root for him 9 times out of ten, i think he seems to be an awesome guy, good fighter that can beat alot of other good fighters.....but i diagnoss with my head and not my heart
telnights
12/22/08 4:27:53PM

Posted by wiggum
yes, yes i do

like in my above post, im not saying that maia couldnt catch bisping, or that bisping would walk thru him...but i think the majority of the time, bisping beats maia.....this isnt a bjj match, and bisping isnt ed herman or even jason mcdonald for that matter.....like i said, im not a bisping lover, but he is a legit up and coming contender and at this point in his career and thats that....maia's bjj skills in mma wont carry him past a guy like bisping.....maybe in the future if he keeps trainging to improve his all around game.. but right now, i see bisping winning 7 times out of 10

Your right Bisping isn't Herman or MacDonald. Both those guys have better ground games than Bisping and both got subbed by Maia. Maia's BJJ transfer to MMA is better than any fighter I have seen. Bisping's take down defense isn't that great. Go back and watch his fights. Elvis Sinosic took him down and almost subbed him. Hamill took him down at will. Schafer took him down and almost subbed him as well. None of those guys have near the level of BJJ that Maia does and if Schafer and Sinosic could get him down Maia will be able to as well. Now I'm not saying Bisping isn't a good fighter but his skill level in stopping subs is in no way better than some of the guys Maia has subbed.
Red-Dragon
12/22/08 5:56:19PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by mictlantechutli

Posted by wiggum

wow...way to take it personal.....i agree the maia is top 5 in bjj in the world, but this is mma...he's beating some good guys along the way as well, i cant argue that either....and he has the potential to go far......but just because they have world class skill in a certain department, doenst guarantee a win.....thats nice quarry was an original, doesnt mean hes a great wrestler....along those lines randy couture should be a top notch striker just cuz he trains with shawn tompkins....leben trained with those guys, and the few times that wresting played into his fight with bisping, bisping out wrestled him.....which considering that leben atleast wrestled in high school and quarry didnt, i would say with your logic, that bisping is the better wrestler since he outwrestled leben....that would be true, if i believed in mma math....and just cuz quarry trained at a certain place means nobody else in mma can learn how to wrestle good? if you think that then i suggest watching some gsp clips.....not hating on ya, but your statement had some holes and centered on a point about quarry having bad wrestling that i didnt even say

to respond to earlier comments that were responded too, my credibility should not be temporay lost beacuse i think that quarry only gets by on striking becausee of his power....i wrestled in high school and a little in college but i primarily come from a boxing/kickboxing background, so i automatically pick up things in the striking deparment.....for starters he is sloppy, his hands are stationary, his accuracy is average at best and he lacks anything resembling head movement as well as his combinations being day one stuff

im not a quarry hater, i root for him 9 times out of ten, i think he seems to be an awesome guy, good fighter that can beat alot of other good fighters.....but i diagnoss with my head and not my heart

I agree with everything Wiggum is saying. Maia looks awesome but it's only a matter of time before he meets someone more skilled in MMA who defends his subs until he runs out of ideas and then ko's him or gets a decision. Just like Hendo did to a certain someone recently.
prozacnation1978
12/23/08 2:53:28AM
bisping is like forrest
not enough power to knock maia out or submit him
he has heart but i think maia would sub him quick like he did quarry
i would like to see that fight but i doubt it will ever take place