Which is the most exciting division to watch ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which is the most exciting division to watch ?
POLL: MOST EXCITING DIVISION
HEAVY 11% (4)
LIGHT HEAVY 21% (8)
MIDDLE 5% (2)
WELTER 26% (10)
LIGHT 37% (14)
BANTAM 0% (0)
a1strait
3/28/07 12:54:35PM
I had to go with the lightweights because every match I have seen in that division is absolute craziness...these just throw down everything.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 1:06:16PM
I went with LHW myself... I don't really have a good reason, except that it would be my weight class if I fought so it adds a little more excitement for me
nubby
3/28/07 1:14:16PM
Welter weight because of
Rush
Hughes
BJ Penn

I think once BJ beats the newb from that show he will face St Pierre after Hughes gets his rematch. I see lots of good fights coming from that division. I hope to see some new people too from Pride.
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 1:43:45PM

Posted by nubby

I think once BJ beats the newb from that show he will face St Pierre after Hughes gets his rematch.

Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else? Penn is scheduled to face Pulver at the TUF5 finale, and I'm pretty sure Dana has lined up the winner of that fight to face the winner of Sherk-Franca.
cowcatcher
3/28/07 1:48:13PM
light heavy for me is the most fun, the guys are big enough to score the big KOs small enough to push the pace of a fight, and on the ground they can do major damage. the little guys are fast paced and fun to watch too, but with the bigger guys every punch or kick can end a fight with LWs thats not always the case.
nubby
3/28/07 1:49:29PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nubby

I think once BJ beats the newb from that show he will face St Pierre after Hughes gets his rematch.

Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else? Penn is scheduled to face Pulver at the TUF5 finale, and I'm pretty sure Dana has lined up the winner of that fight to face the winner of Sherk-Franca.

Oh I have no idea, I was just speculating. BTW I think Sherk is gonna pull that one out. I'm not impressed by Franca.
ManBeast
3/28/07 1:53:27PM
light weights tend to have faster paced fights and you also see alot of flying knees, superman punches and cartwheels to pass guard.

them little guys sure can throw down
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/28/07 2:02:57PM
I went with the LW i really liek watching PRIDE's MW division too.
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 2:37:58PM
2007 will be the Year of the Lightweight, for a number of reasons:

1. There isn't a single fighter in either organization who rules his division the way Hendo, Fedor, and Chuck do (and as GSP and Cro Cop soon will).

2. The UFC's 155 division in particular is very up-in-the-air, because it's so new. It's going to be fun watching all those guys play "Kill of the Hill" this year.

3. There are some good, young fighters on the up. Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Gilbert Melendez, Tyson Griffin, Shinya Aoki, Bart Palaszewski, and Chris Horodecki.

4. Pride's Lightweight Grand Prix is coming, and those always seem to make for some fun fights. There's also a non-zero chance that this will be Pride's last grand prix.

5. The UFC's The Ultimate Fighter 5 will feature 16 lightweights, most of whom I've never heard of.
chentay2112
3/28/07 2:49:27PM
i had to go with the middleweights here i think there's a good balance of stand up and ground guys that make most fights in this division interesting
Ultimate_fighter
3/28/07 8:20:11PM
LHW is the best by far. Tito, Chuck, Rashad, Quinton, Renato, and much more... LHW Fighters are the greatest. Huge mixture of Wrestling and Boxing
Rush
3/28/07 8:24:11PM
The best, I don't know. I can say that I think the HW is by far the worst (in the UFC).
Momentosis
3/28/07 9:24:59PM
The welterweights I like.

A good mix of Strength, Speed, and Skills all thrown together.
Stickan
3/29/07 5:40:58AM

Posted by Momentosis

The welterweights I like.

A good mix of Strength, Speed, and Skills all thrown together.

Yea I totally agree. Even the lower fighters in the division are exciting to watch.
Chec22
3/29/07 10:25:30AM
I like the LW because that would be my class. They can really bring it too. Fast paced and a great mix of action. Of course one of my favorites is GSP so the WW is a close second.
Dadaman
3/29/07 3:38:37PM
The lightweight category of course! Although welterweight is close behind it. I'm about 5'9" so 155 160 are my natural weight (im a hefty 176 but have bulked up to 185 before). This is just a fun weight class to watch, the fights are always fast paced and these guys put on grappling clinics.

At lightweight and welterweight the transitions on the mat are a lot faster and sometimes are a thing of beauty.

Plus... it is the most unpredictable weight class! It is IMPOSSIBLE to make a top 10 bracket for this class. Pride's #1 guy just got beaten, and the UFC's #1 guy just won the belt after never having fought a ranked lightweight fighter besides Florian.

Just look at how young and skilled the UFC's lightweight division is. The average age (mean) is 24. You got guys like Guillard, both Lauzons, Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson, Huerta, Tyson Griffin, Frank Edgar, Franca, Fisher, Penn, Pulver!

No other division in any other organization compares except for Pride's own lightweight division with guys like Sakurai, Gomi, Diaz, Kawajiri, MELENDEZ, Jason Black, Shinya Aoki, Joachim Hansen, Yves Edwards (recently stated in an interview with Tapout magazine that he had a few fights left with Pride), Ishida, Aurelio, Danzig (mentioned future Pride fights are a possibility), and let's not forget my favorite up and comming fighter Nobuhiro Obiya.

Hell even smaller shows like Shooto and the IFL have damn good competition.

Lightweight is the most stacked class in the world. On any given day one of these guys competing in either UFC or Pride could fight each other and fight a war or pull an upset.
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/07 4:43:10PM
Light Heavy....there are plenty of rivalries.. jackson/silva, ortiz/liddell jackson/liddell....then cross org. rivalries like liddell/silva
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 5:39:47PM

Posted by a1strait

I had to go with the lightweights because every match I have seen in that division is absolute craziness...these just throw down everything.

As a huge franca fan, with his last two very impressive performances, i would have to say light weight. Cant wait to see sherk vs franca.