Are you more excited for GSP vs. Matt hughes rather then Matt hughes vs. matt serra

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Are you more excited for GSP vs. Matt hughes rather then Matt hughes vs. matt serra
Next Page »
ricoj3323
11/27/07 6:44:54PM
I honestly am more excited for GSP vs. Matt hughes, its a better main event and better fight overall, i think hughes would have dominated serra if they fought but UFC 79 just got way better because of this fight. whats ur opinion??
SpiderSilva
11/27/07 6:51:25PM
I am more happy to see Hughes fight then not its too bad its vs GSP because its gonna be another loss on his record and I wanted to see how Serra would do vs Hughes not just read how he would get dominated like most people think
tuvok500
11/27/07 6:54:10PM
GSP / Hughes fight is a real fight with 2 top fighters who are going to war to determine who is the best .

Serra / Hughes fight was a predictable destruction of a low level fighters who won the UFC belt by being the luckiest guy on earth , by a top fighter who was insulted all year long .

GSP / Hughes fight is hard to predict, even if i really think that GSP will win the fight, but Serra / Hughes fight was a very easy to predict fight , probably Serra was having like 1 out of 1000 realistic chance to win the fight , same as his fight against GSP, so almost a sure well deserved destruction of Serra unless another miracle lucky day !!

so, i am much more exited to have GSP / Hughes for the interim belt !!

Aaronno9
11/27/07 6:55:30PM
Its a more competitive fight, and having it now just saves having it a few months down the line, but with all the build up with tuf, and the fact that serra and hughes hate each other make me wish that fight was still happening instead. I really wanted to see hughes pound out serra, just to see what smart ass comment serra would make when he was interviewed by rogan. He talks far to much smack for sombody with a less than stellar record.
cowcatcher
11/27/07 7:20:27PM
im disappointed because had serra beaten hughes i wouldnt have to listen to all the serra got lucky talk. now before the flaming starts i want to say that i picked hughes to win, but had he lost i would have been happy to not hear the lucky punch talk anymore. this matchup was more than likely inevitable had hughes fought serra, and these are still the 2 most highly regarded WWs in the world right now so as far as good matchups go this is a gem.
kevietre
11/27/07 7:28:09PM
I don't think Hughes would have dominated Serra. The only time Serra was finished was by Carter. All of his other losses have been by decision.

I really wanted to see the Serra / Hughes fight but this is the only replacement I can get excited for. Fitch and Alves stand less of a chance of beating Hughes than Serra did so if anybody is going to step up Im glad GSP did.
CanadianCripplr
11/27/07 7:34:54PM
I really liked the bad blood angle of the Serra fight. I actually found myself starting to wish Serra would knock the dumb look off Hughes face.
I guess GSP will have to do it for him.
Stickan
11/27/07 7:35:57PM

Posted by tuvok500

GSP / Hughes fight is a real fight with 2 top fighters who are going to a war to determine who is the best .

Serra / Hughes fight was a predictable destruction of a low level fighters who win the UFC belt by being the lukiest guy on earth that day , by a top fighter who was insulted for almost a year long .

GSP / Hughes fight is hard to predict, even if i really think that GSP will win the fight, but Serra / Hughes fight was a very easy fight to predict, probably Serra was having a realistic chance of winning the fight like 1 out of 1000 , same as his fight against GSP, so almost a sure well deserve destruction of Serra unless another miracle lucky day !!

Your horrible grammar and spelling serves you right!
MALICE
11/27/07 7:44:08PM
I am much more excited to see Hughes/GSP 3. This will finally determine, without a doubt, who is on top.

On a side note. Whether Hughes wins or loses this fight, i believe there will still be a Hughes/Serra fight. I mean c'mon. It's the UFC. After building up this fight for so long, there will be a Hughes/Serra Bad Blood fight. I have no doubt.
Pitbull09
11/27/07 8:01:34PM
No doubt, other than this being the actual title fight between them that I expected to happen. Hughes/GSP 3 is the best WW fight to happen in a long time and will be crazy good. Its sad to see Serra as champ while this happenes though
NatedawgThaM
11/27/07 8:04:44PM
No. I wanted to see Hughes shut Matt Serra's big mouth up. In this fight you already know who's going to win.

But it still is a great replacement. The best replacement fight they could get. I think we will see signs of the old dominant Matt but GSP will just prove he's unbeatable at 170 and still beat him.

I still think Fitch is the only one that could beat GSP when that night they are both at there best. Karo's judo would take him the distance again and put up a Fight. But Matt might be a little to old.
Bemin
11/27/07 8:07:39PM
I think Hughes/GSP will be a much better fight than Hughes/Serra, the only thing that disapoints me is that I was pretty sure that the UFC was going to have the Championship fight between the winner of Serra/Hughes fight, in Montreal. Hence Matt's comments about being glad he's not fighting GSP in Canada. Oh well, I'm sure eventually they will get a title fight up here in Canada with GSP.
tuvok500
11/27/07 8:09:10PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by tuvok500

GSP / Hughes fight is a real fight with 2 top fighters who are going to a war to determine who is the best .

Serra / Hughes fight was a predictable destruction of a low level fighters who win the UFC belt by being the lukiest guy on earth that day , by a top fighter who was insulted for almost a year long .

GSP / Hughes fight is hard to predict, even if i really think that GSP will win the fight, but Serra / Hughes fight was a very easy fight to predict, probably Serra was having a realistic chance of winning the fight like 1 out of 1000 , same as his fight against GSP, so almost a sure well deserve destruction of Serra unless another miracle lucky day !!

LOL !!

feel free to send me the correct english grammar ! i have edited the post a little but it is not perfect !! lol

or just tell me that you desagree with me if you really don't understand !! lol

Rush
11/27/07 8:09:20PM
I was more keen on seeing Hughes and Serra. I already saw two Hughes vs GSP fight twice.

I like to see more top fighters fight other top fighters (variety) rather than see the same guys fight over and over.

Honestly, I think the chances are high that this fight (GSP vs Hughes 3)will not meet the expectations of many people.

Don't get me wrong. I am still excited to see this fight, but I am still longing to see Hughes fight Serra and at this point I don't think it's going to happen.
Lay_N_Pray
11/27/07 8:41:44PM
I'm very excited for GSP/Hughes but I wanted to see that later down the line and in Canada just cause the atmosphere would be electric and it would just be completely amazing.

I also really was pumped for Hughes/Serra because when you have that type of bad blood with those level of fighters in the octagon its going to be exciting as hell. A belt, a feud, pride, it would have been all on the line and it would have been tremendous.
PrimeElite16
11/27/07 9:19:08PM
I think people need to give Matt Serra more respect...he isnt the champ because he sucks...
scoozna
11/27/07 11:30:42PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Stickan

Posted by tuvok500

LOL !!

feel free to send me the correct english grammar ! i have edited the post a little but it is not perfect !! lol

You achieved a perfect score - "lol" in every line and an exclamation mark in every line.

I think Hughes/GSP is a guaranteed barnburner. I love all the smack talk, so if it's another 3, 6, 9 months before Hughes/Serra...I'm good with that.
tlangley
11/27/07 11:41:46PM
i'm gonna go with Hughes/Serra cuz we havent seen it yet
JimiMak
11/27/07 11:44:55PM

Posted by tuvok500

GSP / Hughes fight is a real fight with 2 top fighters who are going to war to determine who is the best .

Serra / Hughes fight was a predictable destruction of a low level fighters who won the UFC belt by being the luckiest guy on earth , by a top fighter who was insulted all year long .

GSP / Hughes fight is hard to predict, even if i really think that GSP will win the fight, but Serra / Hughes fight was a very easy to predict fight , probably Serra was having like 1 out of 1000 realistic chance to win the fight , same as his fight against GSP, so almost a sure well deserved destruction of Serra unless another miracle lucky day !!

BWAHAHAHAHA.... pure comedy at it's best.

You act like Serra landed one lucky ko punch. He dominated "the best" WW on earth. Pure domination. He came in smart, he played his gameplan, it was the opposite of what his opponent assumed he was gonna do. Like it or not he did everything right in that fight. I don't care what chance you thought he had. And that showed that his chances against Hughes were better since Hughes has worse standup than GSP. Serra stood a better shot at beating Hughes, imo, than he did GSP... and we all saw how that went. Accept the fact that this is only interim, cuz if GSP wins he lost to the guy, if Hughes wins he still has to fight the real champ. I hate when ppl try to ignore something cuz they consider it lucky. Unfortunately for Serra I think he stood a better shot against both guys before having to rehab an injury, when he was hungry and healthy.

this may or may not be a better fight. 4 mos ago I was expecting Shogun to kill Forrest. We don't know.
Franklinfan47
11/27/07 11:54:38PM
Serra did execute a good game plan and get the title. Granted. But I agree that the interim fight is the fight of the two best ww's in the world. I am much more excited to see them fight.
tuvok500
11/28/07 12:11:14AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by tuvok500

You act like Serra landed one lucky ko punch. He dominated "the best" WW on earth. Pure domination. He came in smart, he played his gameplan, it was the opposite of what his opponent assumed he was gonna do. Like it or not he did everything right in that fight. I don't care what chance you thought he had. And that showed that his chances against Hughes were better since Hughes has worse standup than GSP. Serra stood a better shot at beating Hughes, imo, than he did GSP... and we all saw how that went. Accept the fact that this is only interim, cuz if GSP wins he lost to the guy, if Hughes wins he still has to fight the real champ. I hate when ppl try to ignore something cuz they consider it lucky. Unfortunately for Serra I think he stood a better shot against both guys before having to rehab an injury, when he was hungry and healthy.

this may or may not be a better fight. 4 mos ago I was expecting Shogun to kill Forrest. We don't know.

most hilarious comment ever !!

Allright, this is your WW ranking man :
#1 Matt Hughes
#2 Georges "Rush " St. Pierre
#3 Josh Koscheck
#4 Matt "The Terror" Serra
#5 Jon Fitch
#6 Karo "The Heat" Parisyan
#7 Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez
#8 Drew Fickett
#9 BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
#10 John "The Natural " Alessio

now this is mine :
#1 Matt "The Terror" Serra
#2 Georges "Rush " St. Pierre
#3 Matt Hughes
#4 Jon Fitch
#5 BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
#6 Josh Koscheck
#7 Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez
#8 Karo "The Heat" Parisyan
#9 Jake Shields
#10 Thiago "Pitbull" Alves

so, you can say whatever you want man, but even if i believe that Serra got lucky i ranked him at the #1 spot witch mean that i accepted his win and gave him credit .

But you are telling me that Serra dominated the best WW in the world ( GSP ) and i don't want to accept it and bla bla bla , but you have Serra #4 in your ranking !! funny !
maybe you should accept the fact yourself and rank your heros at his real place as the UFC WW champ before telling me what to think or what to do man !

stickyhash421
11/28/07 12:51:53AM
at least now its a sure thing that hughes' face will get messed up, serra probably woulda won by KO but at least a beatdown is a sure thing, thanks dana
ocho-cinco
11/28/07 3:41:46AM
Hughes Vs St Pierre 3 was the fight I was looking forward to most out of any fight out there. With that said I have to say I wish it was under better circumstances, like for the real belt, instead of the interm one. Also I wanted it to see Serra fight someone of the highest calibur other then GSP to see if he wasn't just a fluke. Even though I was pissed off about how long Dana made everyone wait for Serra to defend his belt, I did really want to see how the whole Hughes Serra feud would end. Plus we waited so long, and for it not to happen is a let down, and in my opinion takes away from what should have been (and might still be) the biggest fight ever in the welter weight division, St. Pierre Vs Hughes 3. On the plus side, this road might be the only way for GSP to avenge his loss over Serra. Lets say Serra never gets hurt, and he fights Hughes as planned. Hughes wins, then GSP get his title shot and beats Hughes, and regains the belt. Well if thats how it happens (in my opinion that would be the most likely senario) then Serra falls down the ladder and in WW it's a big ladder. Another title shot doesn't seem likely, he would most likely have to beat 2 top guys before he gets another crack. We're talking guys like Fitch, Parisyan, Koscheck, Swick, Burkman, Sanchez, etc. etc. I don't see anyway he gets another crack at GSP. So at least this way, if Georges takes care of business and beats hughes, then he gets his fight against Serra, and assuming he wins that, we finally straighten out the division, and get to see fights like GSP Vs Fitch. Plus if GSP beats both Hughes and Serra, they can have there little grudge match afterwards. And thats really all it is anyway, a grudge match. So in the end I am really excited for this fight, it's hard not to be.
Stickan
11/28/07 3:44:28AM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Stickan

Posted by tuvok500

LOL !!

I totally disagree with what you said. That's why you deserve your grammar and spelling.

Some smart guys like cowcatcher, PrimeElite and JimiMak have already posted this but Serra deserves more respect and I'm so damn tired of the whole "lucky punch" bullshit. It wasn't luck who got inside and landed that first punch, it wasn't luck that was able to stun GSP again and again until he fell down and it wasn't luck standing over GSP landing shots until he was desperately reaching for Big John to step in and save him.
xchickox
11/28/07 10:38:15AM
yeah i think it could be a better fight although i wanted to see the hughes vs serra one more
tuvok500
11/28/07 11:23:36AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Stickan

Posted by tuvok500

LOL !!

I totally disagree with what you said. That's why you deserve your grammar and spelling.

Some smart guys like cowcatcher, PrimeElite and JimiMak have already posted this but Serra deserves more respect and I'm so damn tired of the whole "lucky punch" bullshit. It wasn't luck who got inside and landed that first punch, it wasn't luck that was able to stun GSP again and again until he fell down and it wasn't luck standing over GSP landing shots until he was desperately reaching for Big John to step in and save him.

It is not because i think he got lucky that he did not win the fight.
he won the fight, i have him #1 in the WW ranking, he have the belt , if someone ask me who is the WW champ i will answer Serra, etc..
but man, if you believe that there are absolutely no luck in a MMA fight sometimes, you are wrong for sure.
Ed Herman got trap in a full triagle choke at ufc 78 but he was save by the bell, this is luck, Big Nog got rock against herring but it was Yves Lavigne the ref. and he gave him 10X more times to recover than any others referee would have normaly gave him and he did comeback to win the fight, he got lucky to have lavigne as referee , Pulver was in a full armbar against BJ at there first fight but the bell rang just before he tap , this is luck.
As for Serra , he punched GSP behind the head witch put GSP in trouble, normally the ref. would have stop the fight and gave GSP 5 min to recover and was supposed to give a warning to Serra, but the ref did nothing and after that, GSP was in trouble because when you got hit behind the head, the first problem that you have is that your brain give you the wrong information about the distance of your opponent , so the second punch landed and GSP was done.
So , serra got lucky to not receive a warning by the ref. and to have the chance to hit GSP again when he was still in trouble.
he did not got lucky for every single move that he did, but the end of the fight was a direct result of the illegal punch who was not called by the ref.

We see something like that very often in MMA but it doesn't mean that it is not illegal , and when it is not call and you win the fight because of that, iti is your lucky day.

Violentcuv
11/28/07 11:32:59AM
I'm more excited for the Hughes/GSP fight then with Serra. I like watching Serra in and out of the ring, but this rematch will make for a better matchup I fell.
MattHughesFan
11/28/07 3:56:22PM
GSP/Hughes is definitely the better fight and props to both fighters for steeping up and taking the fight. but i think i would rather see Hughes/Serra for the same reason Matt Hughes would rather fight serra as stated in the GSP/Hughes 3 press conference. GSP is always going to be a top 3 WW at least for a very long time so Hughes GSP could pretty much always happen as long as Hughes stays in the game for a while (which it looks like he will be for at least another 2-3 years). Where as Serra really isn't that good and we don't know how long he can really make it in the UFC. I mean the whole reason he was on TUF comeback was because he couldn't get it done in the UFC the first time, Yeah he had a good fight against BJ and all that but he really didn't do much so i honestly don't believe Serra is going to be around to much longer. Because of this I'd rather see Hughes fight Serra first not because it's the better fight but so that Hughes can stand up over a bloody serra look him in the eye while wearing his belt and force serra to shake his hand, then Hughes can give him a wedgy before Serra is gone and Hughes doesn't have the chance to fight him. where as if Hughes losses to GSP then he might not get the chance to fight serra. Also Serra is kind of getting the easy way out as Hughes also stated. With GSP/Hughes 3 happening now if GSP wins they fight and then kicks Serra's @$$ then who knows if the hughes/serra fight will happen. but if Hughes beats Serra like he will before Hughes/GSP 3 Serra and GSP would probably fight for the #1 contender ship in Serra's next fight. Hughes/Serra gives Serra an almost 90% of havening to fight both hughes and GSP. where as GSP/Hughes 3 first brings that chance down a significant bit. Like i said though GSP/Hughes 3 is definitely the better fight though. I mean no disrespect to Serra (Because of coarse he is the last guy on earth who deserves not to be disrespected) because he dominated one of the best if not the Best WW at the time and i don't believe in lucky KOs and things like that. Serra executed to perfection. That being said GSP admitted he didn't have the chance to train properly and that his training was hampered by injuries and he made a mistake by taking the fight and i really do believe that 9/10 times GSP KO's Serra 2-3 minutes into the first round regardless of the one time Serra did dominate GSP.
PrimeElite16
11/28/07 5:15:13PM
I think the serra hughes fight would have been better because i wanted to see them fight after they were around each other during the TUF season...
pv3Hpv3p
11/28/07 5:34:43PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by tuvok500

I don't mean to take anything away from Serra... But it was a lucky punch... He caught him, and then finished him... He did do exactly what he was supposed to, but to atribute it too Matt Serra's dominating standup game is a bit of a stretch...

I don't think anyone considered Matt Serra a top 10 WW before he won his title shot... He hadn't beaten any top 10 WW either, so I think the general consensus that Serra got the lucky win stems from the fact that a lot of people didn't think that he deserved the title shot.
Pages: [1] 2