EXC Makes Cancellation Of Night Of Champions, And Its Existence, Official

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » EXC Makes Cancellation Of Night Of Champions, And Its Existence, Official
DCRage
10/22/08 10:01:33AM
Now it's officially over. In a recent email to the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) Executive Director Keith Kizer, Elite XC Manager of Fight Operations J.T. Steele confirmed that the promotion has indeed ceased operations and had no other choice but to cancel “A Night of Champions,” which was set for Reno on November 8.

Article
Sledge23
10/22/08 10:37:13AM
Good, We don't need anything but the UFC. It's the best MMA league anywhere.
ACER
10/22/08 10:57:57AM
also tells you on the official tricket page that its cancelled

TICKET PAGE
bojangalz
10/22/08 11:04:52AM
The only negative to Elite XC's demise is the fact that it is one less bargining chip for free agent fighters. I think this loss gives the UFC even more leverage when it comes to making deals on their terms. I think that there is room for additional MMA promotions above a regional scale. But i think the business model that the Elite XC's, Bodogs, and Afflictions of the world are being run by are what is ruining their existance.

Everyone wants to get rich quick riding the UFC's coat-tails. So they spend up a bunch of cash to sign fighters thinking and get in too deep, too fast.

I think this is a major win for Strikeforce, who runs a very respectible promotion. If the UFC does not capitolize on the now major void in woman's MMA by signing Carano, Cyborg, etc; Strikeforce may have a gem on their hands. I just hope they stay the course, and don't get over their heads.

They've got a prospective TV deal on the table. They have recognizable fighters at the top of just about every weight division. And now they have the oppertunity to cash in on the one part of MMA that the UFC has yet to claim: female fighters.

I've got a feeling though that Carano/Cyborg will wind up on an Affliction show before they go out of business. Either that, or the UFC will see the draw that Gina is, and find a way to make it work.

Time will tell I guess.
dannyfrank
10/22/08 4:10:29PM

Posted by bojangalz

The only negative to Elite XC's demise is the fact that it is one less bargining chip for free agent fighters. I think this loss gives the UFC even more leverage when it comes to making deals on their terms. I think that there is room for additional MMA promotions above a regional scale. But i think the business model that the Elite XC's, Bodogs, and Afflictions of the world are being run by are what is ruining their existance.

Everyone wants to get rich quick riding the UFC's coat-tails. So they spend up a bunch of cash to sign fighters thinking and get in too deep, too fast.

I think this is a major win for Strikeforce, who runs a very respectible promotion. If the UFC does not capitolize on the now major void in woman's MMA by signing Carano, Cyborg, etc; Strikeforce may have a gem on their hands. I just hope they stay the course, and don't get over their heads.

They've got a prospective TV deal on the table. They have recognizable fighters at the top of just about every weight division. And now they have the oppertunity to cash in on the one part of MMA that the UFC has yet to claim: female fighters.

I've got a feeling though that Carano/Cyborg will wind up on an Affliction show before they go out of business. Either that, or the UFC will see the draw that Gina is, and find a way to make it work.

Time will tell I guess.

dana has already said that there will be no women in the UFC
MMAcca
10/22/08 4:52:32PM

Posted by dannyfrank

dana has already said that there will be no women in the UFC

That was before he knew how big a draw on primetime Gina is.......