Evils of the IRS and Chase Manhattan

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Evils of the IRS and Chase Manhattan
hippysmacker
11/22/08 8:31:54AM
I am sure we have all been screwed over from time to time. Today was the last straw for me with my bank- ( was Washington mutual) now Chase Manhattan. Some of you may know I suffered a serious back injury, am currently on disability, and am not having the best time of my life at the moment . I had been paying the IRS 185.00 month to pay off a tax bill from 2003 when a unscrupulous employer, who is still at large from the government, never payed in the tax moneys he claimed to us employees . Now I was young, healthy, and had a good job. So no discount ,or waiving of fees for me. Anyway, when I got hurt , and my income was cut in half, I called them to let them know I couldn't afford it right now, and they threatened to audit me - as they don't just take your word for it . I said go ahead, your the government, I am sure you can check with another part of yourself to see how bad off I am currently . They assured me they would, and thats the last I heard of it. The woman on the phone even claimed that if I was telling the truth, it should not be a problem to freeze my account for now . Now I have moved twice since then, and they claimed to be sending me notices all this time, telling me they were gonna get me if i didn't keep up with my installment agreement. They were sending them to an old address ,and the people who lived there didn't forward the mail on to me. Anyway, I considered the matter in hiatus, as the woman I talked to at the IRS assured me they would suspend collection on me till I was healthy, if my story checked out. Maybe I should have thought more about it. Maybe I should have made sure ,my mailing address was changed. However vicodin, muscle relaxers, pain, and lack of sleep , aren't really conducive to thinking about stuff you thought settled. Anyway, I had barely enough money( 145.00) to cover 3 EFTS( electronic funds transfers) bills in my account. The IRS claim to have sent me a letter ,to an old address, telling me they were going to raid my bank account if i didn't pay the remaining 6,700.00 dollar balance in full by November 18th. Well they first charged me 100.00 to raid my account and stole the remaining 45.00. Then the bank , who didn't even call to let me know, charged me 3 insufficient funds charges of 33.00 each to punish me for not having money to cover the EFTs. So the bank tells me ,when I find out about this by mail, that I owe them 144.00 for the EFTs plus 99.00 in insufficient fund charges, for a grand total . of 243.00. Add the charges I am going to get from the companies who didn't get paid and I am screwed. An ex girlfriend, who I am still on good terms with ,is a manger there. I appealed to her , and she assured me if this was still Washington mutual , that she could have at least waived the fees. Not Chase Manhattan though. So I had to borrow the money, just to close my account, and the new manager there told me point blank he didn't care if I did, as long as they got their money. I called the IRS , as the bank couldn't even let me close the account till I did, and they claim their is no note on my account about my call. I thought they recorded all our calls, but they claim differently. I worked my way up to a boss there, who after receiving faxes of my disability papers, froze the collection on my account till SS says I am healthier , but they won't refund the money they stole. So I thought some of you would like to know how much they both suck , as I told the bank manager i would let as many people as possible know how they treat their customers of 11 years . Screw the IRS, and screw CHASE MANHATTAN !
bojangalz
11/22/08 9:41:27AM
That's a seriously raw deal bro. I feel for ya. i used to work with a few adults with developemental disabilities back in college. I can remember the struggles with SS alone. I can't imaging trying to handle those idiots by themselves, let alone tackle the IRS and your bank at the same time. Not cool at all. Good luck; we're all pulling for you.
hippysmacker
11/22/08 3:05:43PM
Thanks
roadking95th
11/22/08 6:24:55PM
Shit like this is why I can not understand why most of America wants the governmant controling their lives.

Here's another bad bank story, though not nearly as bad due to your circumstances.

The bank my restaurant was using was screwing me and my employees two ways.

First, I don't know how many people know this, but when a business deposits a check that is bad, they get charged too. So not only does the bank charge John Doe, who wrote the check, they also charge me. If that doesn't burn me up enough, the check was issued from my own bank. WTF? Now, I don't know much about banking, but it would seem that the check is a person's own form of currency that the bank is validating. If the check is bad, then the bank should take care of it. Hell, the bank should know before I do that the check is bad or that the person writing the check isn't responsible. Do they get charged? Can I charge them? NO! That's BS. So basically, we do not accept checks anymore. That way we don't have to deal with the hassles.

Second, this same bank was charging employees of mine to cash checks. Granted they weren't members of the bank, but the check was issued from said bank. Never had this problem until the bank was bought out. We went to a local bank and they saw things our way. Now, the other bank is calling to see what is wrong and what they can do to get us back. Well, what can they do besides charging our employees anyway. We told them that was our only gripe and if they couldn't fix that then so long. I much rather be with a local bank anyways. It truly is a local bank.
voodoo-jitsu
11/22/08 9:38:44PM
the U.S. government is the dirties GANG on the planet end of story
SpiderSilva
11/23/08 2:43:02AM
I hate BANKS

good luck with this hippy
hippysmacker
11/23/08 5:50:19AM

Posted by roadking95th

Shit like this is why I can not understand why most of America wants the governmant controling their lives.

Here's another bad bank story, though not nearly as bad due to your circumstances.

The bank my restaurant was using was screwing me and my employees two ways.

First, I don't know how many people know this, but when a business deposits a check that is bad, they get charged too. So not only does the bank charge John Doe, who wrote the check, they also charge me. If that doesn't burn me up enough, the check was issued from my own bank. WTF? Now, I don't know much about banking, but it would seem that the check is a person's own form of currency that the bank is validating. If the check is bad, then the bank should take care of it. Hell, the bank should know before I do that the check is bad or that the person writing the check isn't responsible. Do they get charged? Can I charge them? NO! That's BS. So basically, we do not accept checks anymore. That way we don't have to deal with the hassles.

Second, this same bank was charging employees of mine to cash checks. Granted they weren't members of the bank, but the check was issued from said bank. Never had this problem until the bank was bought out. We went to a local bank and they saw things our way. Now, the other bank is calling to see what is wrong and what they can do to get us back. Well, what can they do besides charging our employees anyway. We told them that was our only gripe and if they couldn't fix that then so long. I much rather be with a local bank anyways. It truly is a local bank.

While theier actions, were crap, at lest your bank wanted you back. 11 years I went to Was. mutual, and had 1 problem ever . Had one time where I mistakenly double wrote a mortgage check , and bounced 4 others because of it. My ex, was my girl at the time , fixed it thank god. Thats the only problem I ever had before. I got a truck loan their even, and have paid it completely off early . Chase Manhattans manager told me point blank

" this wasn't bank error, so if you feel we are treating you unfairly.- leave. I don't care as long as we get our money before you go. If you don't pay it ,I will report you to check systems, and you will never get a bank account again"

Now I don't know what check systems is, but it's probably some universal banking database that keeps track of people that have messed over banks, and thats not me. I like your idea of a local bank, and I am searching them out currently.
hippysmacker
11/23/08 5:52:05AM

Posted by thevoodooninja

the U.S. government is the dirties GANG on the planet end of story

USgov= biggest protection racket ever
warglory
11/23/08 10:18:16AM
hippysmacker. **** banks, bring your money to a local credit union. You will be much more better off. Credit Unions are, quite literally, owned and operated by the people who use it, so you would have a hand in voting on board of directors, etc. You are considered a member of one, not a customer, so member services are usually much superior to that of banks, especially big conglomerates like Chase.

The company I originally had my student loans through was bought out by Chase, and I absolutely hate them, so I feel your pain.
Jackelope
11/23/08 11:01:28AM
Damn bro... you know I had been wondering what was up with you lately because you seemed a little on edge, but this explains a lot of it. I can't imagine the frustration. Especially how powerless these huge corporations (and by that I mean the bank and the Government) can make a person feel with their own money! What crap!

I'm so thankful I have USAA. They are so good about all of these things. I've experienced problems with banks before and they're nothing pleasant to go through. I would definitely suggest credit unions/local banks if you can get in there.

ncordless
11/24/08 1:07:18PM
That really blows. I did a lot paperwork for my mother when she went on disability, and it is pretty confusing for sure.

I agree with warglory about using a credit union if possible. Make sure you go to the board meetings and make your voice heard at a credit union and they treat you well. I know some people just don't like unions, whether they be civil, labor or whatnot. But go with a credit union, and I think you will be a lot happier with the whole business. Just make sure is not so small that it lacks basic services. I used a credit union last year that was so small that it didn't have its own wire transfer # and took 3 weeks for me to get paid.

Finally, if you are really mad about all the crap the IRS and the bank put you through... call your congressman. It won't change the world, but congressmen are suprisingly interested in what their voters are thinking (if they think your vote hinges on it) and if you can get him/her riled up enough about the unfairness with which you've been treated he may give the IRS and/or bank a call. Nothing definite will probably happen, but I can tell you from experience that when a congressman calls your manager to complain about your performance it does not bode well for your future.

I would just like to confirm that the big banks are evil and should be avoided at all costs. Some of the things they do to their own customers are borderline criminal. If you don't believe me, do some research on Citibank and a program they used to run called Credit Protecter.