UFC Event In Works for July 19

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Event In Works for July 19
Next Page »
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/15/08 11:26:27PM
July 19 could become a crowded night for mixed martial arts.

The UFC is currently planning an event that Saturday night to be televised live on Spike TV, Sherdog.com has learned from multiple industry sources.
Link

Mayhem13
6/15/08 11:31:17PM
holy crap

Vera vs Wanderlei would be better then Tim vs Fedor imo.

I hope this happens!!!

p.s. and is in Ohio please
grappler0000
6/15/08 11:33:20PM
Who didn't see this coming?
grappler0000
6/15/08 11:34:20PM

Posted by Mayhem13

holy crap

I hope this happens!!!

With such a short notice, I imagine it would happen in Vegas.
babalu2720
6/15/08 11:36:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

Ya this is very short notice, but I guess the UFC is confident that tickets will sell..must be to rival the Affliction show...rain on their parade...it just might work too.
grappler0000
6/15/08 11:42:34PM

Posted by babalu2720

Posted by grappler0000

Ya this is very short notice, but I guess the UFC is confident that tickets will sell..must be to rival the Affliction show...rain on their parade...it just might work too.

Yeah, I knew they'd have something up their sleeves...and I knew it would be on free TV. If Wand/Vera was on Spike, then Affliction might as well cash in their chips.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/15/08 11:44:19PM

Posted by Mayhem13

holy crap

I hope this happens!!!

"is tentatively scheduled to be held in Las Vegas."

I could see this either being very good for UFC... Or, the associatted drama could get ESPN to cover the story and give Affliction exposure.

After Dana recently called Tito an idiot, Tito was on Sports Center talking about it.

Either way sound like it could be an awsome night of MMA, dare I say the best night ever? On paper it is already there.

thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/15/08 11:53:23PM
OK no one said it so I will.

Could this be Dana's big announcement?

Flame on
grappler0000
6/16/08 12:00:37AM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Flame on

Well, the event itself...no. Now, Vera vs Silva, I have to admit, would be pretty mind blowing. I'm not sure how that would represent the direction of the company over the next 5 years though.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/16/08 12:15:01AM

Posted by grappler0000

Flame on

Well, the event itself...no. Now, Vera vs Silva, I have to admit, would be pretty mind blowing. I'm not sure how that would represent the direction of the company over the next 5 years though.

That was a joke holmes.

ChokeUout
6/16/08 12:37:33AM
haha, this is both a underhand AND a brilliant move by the UFC. Vera and Silva would be huge.

I don't think this is the big announcement, UNLESS it's NOT gonna be on spike and it's gonna be on A network the UFC secretly has a deal with. But, who knows. I hope they give us a couple more good fights on this card. THere should be a bunch of people who fought at UFC 83 and the april fight night who should be ready in time. Shane Carwin, ANthony Jonson, Matt Hammil, Rich Clementi, Gray Manard, Joe Lauzon, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Nate Quarry, Chris Leben, and Kurt Pellegrino are just a handful of the fighters who would be available if this event should go down.

IT's about time tho. April and September both had two events last year, and we havne't had one like that this year yet. SO it's overdue.

I just hope they put more effort into it than they did for UFC 72, which was also kinda thrown together at the last moment.
holt8081
6/16/08 12:42:45AM
I think Vera would get killed out there, plus I dident know Vera was going down to LHW. or am I missing something.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/16/08 12:47:00AM

Posted by holt8081

I think Vera would get killed out there, plus I dident know Vera was going down to LHW. or am I missing something.

It was like a double wammy announcement there, huh.
clintjack
6/16/08 1:10:55AM
Hmmm that tells me that Dana is a little more worried about Affliction then he lets on. (And maybe it is the "big announcement" because it would involve the companies future for the next five years, by bankrupting Affliction!
MMAcca
6/16/08 1:25:54AM
The reports seem to sya that Vera and Silva could POSSIBLY face each other, would suggests to me that they will both probably fight on the night but against different opponents....
holt8081
6/16/08 1:46:48AM

Posted by holt8081

It was like a double wammy announcement there, huh.

Ya no kidding but oh well what ever gets good fights im ok with........It would just be nice if Dana called me next time so I can approve of all of this first thats all, is that to much to ask or am I just being a control freak.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
6/16/08 2:13:21AM
I don't think this will affect Afflictions buyrate any. However I do think that it will keep the people who normally go out to bars to watch (because they are too cheap to buy) inside for the night.
cloud301336
6/16/08 3:07:05AM
wanderlei silva!!!!!!! thats all you have to say i hope he gets a title shot after this, if he wins.
MondayNiteMauser
6/16/08 4:32:45AM
i definately think this is part of the announcement but there will be more to it. The Vera/silva fight to me is a coin toss. I personally don't think they will be fighting each other but they will headline the card against opponents. dare i say Vera vs. Carwin and Wandy vs. Sokoujdou? thats my prediction.
CornishMMA
6/16/08 7:30:17AM
Wandy VS Vera would make me change my boxers several times, but i really dont like the UFC doing stuff like this - going head to head to hurt another companys ppv buyrates, i know its business but as fans we should be looking for the sport to grow and stay competative, this doesnt help that
twoguns365
6/16/08 9:30:11AM
Pretty big news, but I'm curious about Vera. Wouldn't he be on some sort of medical suspension due to getting Ko'd this month. Isn't there some sort of automatic 3 month-thing?
cowcatcher
6/16/08 10:40:17AM
i dont want to be the rain on this parade, but this is really short notice, and i have to wonder if this story really holds any water. ill be ordering the affliction card and DVRing the free spike event if this is true, and id think that a lot of others would do the same so im not sure that this would have a huge impact on the PPV buys. if this is true, and i do hope it is although im not convinced yet, i will be one happy little MMA fan on the 19th.
Ordep
6/16/08 10:43:07AM
noooooooooo

who's fighting for 88 then besides Chuck and Rashad "LnP"Evans !
damn, if they keep scheduling fighters that card could be worse than 83.
bigbubbano23
6/16/08 10:52:36AM
that maad funny
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/16/08 11:51:50AM
I'm not so sure how I feel about this because I was planning on going to watch affliction and well now I'm not, so I guess their plan worked, with me anyway haha.

I'd rather only have 1 major mma event per night but ...
disorderlyvision
6/16/08 12:10:31PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i dont want to be the rain on this parade, but this is really short notice, and i have to wonder if this story really holds any water. ill be ordering the affliction card and DVRing the free spike event if this is true, and id think that a lot of others would do the same so im not sure that this would have a huge impact on the PPV buys. if this is true, and i do hope it is although im not convinced yet, i will be one happy little MMA fan on the 19th.

I plan on ordering affliction and recording the ufc also, but i disagree i think it will have a big impact on the ppv buys. alot of people are ufc fans and not mma fans their is a difference. and some people will be like why pay $40 when i can watch the ufc for free. example couple post below yours.

i wish affliction luck, but the ufc are nasty when it comes to business which is partly why they are pretty much the only succesful mma org out there, and affliction isnt the best at business, i havent even seen any advertisements for affliction. if i never came to message boards or read mma news or watched inside mma, which im sure a lot of the non-hardcore fans fit that description, i wouldn't even have known anything about affliction, because they have barely done any promoting and the event is like a month away
The-Don
6/16/08 12:26:11PM
as I think someone said.. this is in poor taste its not fair to fans or the fighters... How many of the fighters themselves do you thik were curious to watch the affliciton event espically the HW's they want to see how Fedor and Tim go.. to see if they may have the shot to take on Fedor or not.. Even though I can't get the PPV I'll refuse to watch the UFC event if it is held out of spite.. I am an MMA fan Not a UFC ... I do not dislike the UFC but this would be bad for MMA in general... my only question is what is The Donald going to do to counteract this?

I just think dana is a baby and is more scared of affliciton now that the Donald has paired up with them Dana is scared... and with good reason.. The Dona;d does not like to lose... and he has pockets deep enough to float Affliction for a good while...
masterfister
6/16/08 9:37:29PM

Posted by The-Don

as I think someone said.. this is in poor taste its not fair to fans or the fighters... How many of the fighters themselves do you thik were curious to watch the affliciton event espically the HW's they want to see how Fedor and Tim go.. to see if they may have the shot to take on Fedor or not.. Even though I can't get the PPV I'll refuse to watch the UFC event if it is held out of spite.. I am an MMA fan Not a UFC ... I do not dislike the UFC but this would be bad for MMA in general... my only question is what is The Donald going to do to counteract this?

I just think dana is a baby and is more scared of affliciton now that the Donald has paired up with them Dana is scared... and with good reason.. The Dona;d does not like to lose... and he has pockets deep enough to float Affliction for a good while...

The Donald may not like to lose, but he can and has. Remember the USFL?

I can't at all blame the UFC on this, it's straight up business and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, (and many here have) this is a business not just a sport. It's the world we live in unfortunately, every other major sports league has had to acknowledge this and if you want to see MMA make it into more than just a niche sport (and thus have more of it out there, and more readily available), you might have to get used to the idea.
cmill21
6/16/08 10:19:40PM
I doubt this will happen and if it does I don't see a huge impact on Affliction. Wand is a big name and so is vera but people want to know who this Fedor guy is, they love AA, they love to hate big Tim and all the hardcore fans woulden't miss the Affliction card for the world.
MMAcca
6/17/08 12:59:39AM

Posted by cmill21

and all the hardcore fans woulden't miss the Affliction card for the world.

Good point, but how many hardcore MMA fans is there in the world ?

I think less than 100,000.....
Pages: [1] 2