Which event made you an MMA life"r"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which event made you an MMA life"r"
spikerman19
10/31/09 12:57:51PM
I remember watching the old UFC's as a kid, but in the early to mid nineties I was a huge WWF fan and "couldn't" watch the UFC. I stopped watching the WWF around 2000 when I pretty much came to the realization that **** was a waste of time. My first UFC event I ordered for the hell of it was UFC44: Undisputed the two bouts that got me hooked were the Loiseau vs. Rivera and the Franklin Vs. Dewees fight. I decided to make Rich Franklin my favorite fighter due to those awesome knees to the downed body of Dewees. anyway Rich's is still my fighter even with his glass jaw.

Sorry if this has been posted before, or it may seem lame but just something i thought about.
Khaos
10/31/09 1:11:07PM
I started watching MMA late during TUF one, and the first PPV I ordered was UFC 66. Event wise, UFC 69 is what made me an "MMA Lifer," but what actually did t for me was TUF 3, that made me want to now everything about MMA.
hotrodttt
10/31/09 1:15:42PM
Haha, I did this thread about 2 years ago
Linkage
postman
10/31/09 2:44:58PM
I watched on and off for a while the tuff turned me on to it a little more then I went to 68 and saw Coture win the title and have only missed 4 events since.
Nitrus
10/31/09 2:45:58PM
I used to watch old fights in a program called SporTV Combate, here in Brazil. This program, shows old fights, one~two year after the event. Then one day, surfing on the net, I found and UFC 62 torrent. Then I decided to download, and watch. I liked a lot, started to follow MMA sites and stuff like that, but UFC 64, wa the real one that locked me into MMA world. Since UFC 64 i'm addicted to MMA :B

Thank you Spider

In this program that I said above, I remember that I liked Pride more than UFC, but was UFC the events that made me download and became a fan
Violence108
10/31/09 3:04:44PM
Well the 1st UFC fight i saw was Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher at UFC 58, and ive been a fan ever scenes
kopower
10/31/09 3:32:06PM
I was sort of a late bloomer. The tuf 1 finale got me hooked. I remember watching an old UFC event when I was younger and saw somebody get their arm broken. That turned me off for awhile.
DCRage
10/31/09 3:38:57PM
I first became aware of UFC when they did a PPV called "The Ultimate Ultimate" but what really got me into it and MMA as a whole was seasons 2 & 3 of TUF as well as occasional reruns of edited PRIDE fights on FSN.
RMFG_187
10/31/09 5:19:08PM
The First fight I have ever seen was

Shamrock Tito - Vendetta

The Fight/Event that made me an MMA Addict was

Forrest Tito & Sherk KenFlo @ UFC 59.
I witnessed 4 fighters give it all, in the bloodiest 8 rounds ever
Rabi
10/31/09 6:49:40PM
I saw UFC 1-4 when i was kid on VHS, and it was all about Gracie. I then kind of forgot about MMA until a neighbour showed me a video of UFC 38 brawl at the royal albert hall, from there i went a bought UFC 39 and UFC 40 on dvd and then found ebay and was able to purchase every UFC event on dvd so back tracked and watched them all in order and have been an MMA geek since then, roughly 7 yrs ive been a hardcore fan. I also back tracked and watched the whole of Pride from beginning to end and have also been to 6 UFC events live with 105 being my 7th.
Aether
10/31/09 7:07:51PM

Posted by Rabi

I saw UFC 1-4 when i was kid on VHS, and it was all about Gracie. I then kind of forgot about MMA until a neighbour showed me a video of UFC 38 brawl at the royal albert hall, from there i went a bought UFC 39 and UFC 40 on dvd and then found ebay and was able to purchase every UFC event on dvd so back tracked and watched them all in order and have been an MMA geek since then, roughly 7 yrs ive been a hardcore fan. I also back tracked and watched the whole of Pride from beginning to end and have also been to 6 UFC events live with 105 being my 7th.

Yeah, my story is pretty similar. I remember my brothers renting the very first UFCs on VHS back when Beta-Max was still around, I still remember when Shamrock adopted the nickname "most dangerous man in the world" But most of my MMA viewing was by proxy because I was really young at the time. I got way more into it probably around the 40 range when it started to re-emerge as more of a legitimate sport.

Since then I've seen just about every MMA fight that has been widely distributed. Every UFC, PRIDE, IVC, Bodog, most Cage Rages... I'm pretty much a full blown addict at this point.

My favourite MMA clip has always been Goodridge vs Herrera at UFC8.
Jackelope
10/31/09 10:03:51PM
I watched a lot of the early UFC's, but didn't find myself a huge fan. Being a martial artist and wrestler myself at that point I didn't like certain aspects of it just based on the fact that it was a brawl more than it was a display of technique. (Outside of Royce Gracie and a few others)

Anyways, long story short I was in Iraq and the UFC sent us some DVD's. We divided them up amongst the platoon, and I just happened to get UFC 52 as my DVD. Turned out it was and still is the greatest UFC event ever (IMO). That card made me a lifer, and since then I've backtracked and viewed every single event.
1daveufc
11/1/09 6:07:29AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by Rabi

Yeah, my story is pretty similar. I remember my brothers renting the very first UFCs on VHS back when Beta-Max was still around, I still remember when Shamrock adopted the nickname "most dangerous man in the world" But most of my MMA viewing was by proxy because I was really young at the time. I got way more into it probably around the 40 range when it started to re-emerge as more of a legitimate sport.

Since then I've seen just about every MMA fight that has been widely distributed. Every UFC, PRIDE, IVC, Bodog, most Cage Rages... I'm pretty much a full blown addict at this point.

My favourite MMA clip has always been Goodridge vs Herrera at UFC8.

Thats kind of the same for me a watched ufc 1-3 on vhs then a never sore no more for a long time till ufc 38 then a never really sore many till about ufc 50. Ever since a canit get enough of it mma a downloaded nearly all of the Ufc events via torrents and av seen lots of pride events which where awesome so thats pretty much my story.Plus a was a massive wwf fan then lost intrest but watching it again now with my son.
Rabi
11/1/09 6:07:34AM
Out of interest Jackelope what was the main fights at UFC 52 that made you fall in love with this sport and made you say this was the best event ever.
warglory
11/1/09 11:39:46AM
Like many, I watched the early UFC's as a kid and was enthralled by the concept. Even back then as a kid, I never thought of it as being barbaric and too violent which is funny to think about, because when I rented it (my Mom had no idea what they were when she let me get them, lol), I was told by my cousin that they actually fought to the death. I never took him seriously, but it got me curious enough to check it out. The event that made me really interested was UFC 6 when Oleg Taktarov swept the competition and was really the first person to shut Tank Abbott up (who played a perfect villain BTW).

I stopped watching it after that for years and never kept up with it until college about 5 years ago when I started watching the old UFC's again, which then made me catch up with the sport which instantly made me a fan and I couldn't get enough of it.
chickmagnet
11/1/09 12:21:32PM
Watching Chuck woop on Tito @ UFC 66. Ever since then Chuck will be my favorite fighter....no matter what. And Ive been a hardcore MMA fan since that day.
Jackelope
11/1/09 3:30:12PM

Posted by Rabi

Out of interest Jackelope what was the main fights at UFC 52 that made you fall in love with this sport and made you say this was the best event ever.

Most specifically it was Hughes vs. Trigg 2. That was just an amazing comeback and kind of a poetic way for the fight to end. Trigg's hype videos trash-talking Hughes leading into that fight grabbed my attention immediately.

The other fight that really got me was GSP vs. Jason Miller. I know it wasn't exactly a good fight, but the beating Miller took and the way he laughed through bloody teeth during the fight had me smiling and rooting for him the whole way through.

Couture vs. Liddell wasn't too shabby, either.

I think I remember reading somewhere that UFC 52 is Dana White's all time favorite UFC card, too.
CwB
11/1/09 7:21:47PM
Shamrock vs Tito 1
was the first event i ever watched the whole way through, a bunch of kids in school were hanging from Titos nuts, Me and my friends thought Shamrock was gonna kick his ass. (Damn I was disappointed)

But that was also the first time I watched Chuck Liddell fight. His KO over Babalu made me a Chuck fan 4 Life.

Before all this though, I remember downloading Igor Vovchanchyn highlight videos on Napster. My friends and I thought he was the baddest man on the planet. After Tito beat Shamrock we wanted to see him fight Igor. (hahaha, this was before we knew about the different organizations).
BustedKnuckle
11/1/09 8:46:03PM
To this day only one fight has contested my first UFC expeirience in shock value. Hendo over Bisping. At a young age of 14 seeing Big Daddy Gary Goodridge elbow Paul Herrera into oblivian was crazy. That left a pretty lasting memory. Also watching some old pride stuff with my dad at his work.(cable guy) WAR WANDY!!!! All my early memories of MMA come from watching with my dad and his coworkers at the shop. They would chip in and rent a big screen TV. Thats when i became a lifer i geuss, just didnt quiet know it.
emfleek
11/2/09 3:17:38PM

Posted by Jackelope

The other fight that really got me was GSP vs. Jason Miller. I know it wasn't exactly a good fight, but the beating Miller took and the way he laughed through bloody teeth during the fight had me smiling and rooting for him the whole way through.

One of my favorite fights to date.
Rush
11/2/09 3:42:55PM
UFC 2 - The notable fights being Remco Pardoel vs. Orlando Weit, Remco vs. Royce, Royce vs. Jason DeLucia and Pat Smith vs. Scott Morris.
NatedawgThaM
11/3/09 1:08:19AM
I watched TUF1 alittle and the finale and was like "This is fn badass! I love it! its mad cool." I just never like followed it though and kept going after that was done. Because I thought for some reason it was "USC" and was like "Damn this USC fighting is the ****. Like they were fighting at the college USC haha and was like damn they fight in college, they some bad dudes! hahaha

Then UFC 59 is was brought me in because my friends, the TPkids(trailer park kids haha) were talking about it after it happened and showed me on the computer who they all were and stuff so I started watching TUF 3 and UFC unleashed & I've been hooked ever since. I came in as one of those "Tito is the baddest" type people haha but I still think he's a bad mofo, like I haven't jumped off the wagon because I was never a tito ortiz nuthugger or on his warwagon, I just thought he was good and think he's still an above average good fighter. He almost finished Machida. He should have beaten Rashad, he's just one of those guys who will be tough for everybody & can beat most guys but won't beat the ones at the very top, like once he hits the top 5 he's in trouble. But I'm still pumped for him coming back & so glad to be a hardcore fan of this sport!
JuggaloWarrior878
11/3/09 4:25:13AM
Man i was a huge wrestling fan all my life and i was so into it i thought the ufc was also wrestling so i ordered ufc 34 and when BJ knocked out Caol Uno i nearly s*** myself. But i really got into it after i was done wit pro wrestling, i put on FSN and saw Tim Sylvian ko Ricco and was hooked i started looking into it and then I discovered Tuf and Ufc 52 was the first ppv that i truly enjoyed and ive ordered everyone since then. i shortly after discovered Pride and fell in love again.
mentalcase
11/3/09 4:43:32AM
UFC 1 only saw it in jan 06 but became a hard core mma fan ever since i watched all UFC and Pride events i could find and started training bjj
pv3Hpv3p
11/5/09 12:11:55PM
I didn't think anyone could stop Varlens at UFC VII... He was huge and just running through dudes... It was just absolutely amazing to me to watch Ruas chop him down with leg kicks and win the tourny...