Evans-Silva Promoted To UFC 108 Main Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Evans-Silva Promoted To UFC 108 Main Event
DCRage
11/16/09 10:33:54AM
Assuming they can avoid the injuries, illnesses, and apparent curses that have befelled the 3 matchups before them, Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva is the latest fight to be promoted to the main event for UFC 108. The 3 previous planned main events all had to be scrapped due to fighter injuries/illnesses.

Article
finnish_line
11/16/09 11:06:00AM

The built in storyline of Rashad avenging his best friend Jardine's murder can only take this match so far.

One of the weaker main event for a historically BIG show.

But what can you do.
MiniMan
11/16/09 11:41:44AM
They have to set this up as either, For a shot at the title, Or Shogun.
PABLOMAFIOSO
11/16/09 12:16:02PM
the winner of this should face the winner of Machida vs. Shogun 2.
Maybe get Cro Cop on this card as well? it needs another big fight/name.
mk1630
11/16/09 12:25:09PM
Pretty excited for this fight. People can bitch and moan about it not being a good enough fight to Main event, but what else could they have done? They had no other choices. It will be as good a card as you can have with everyone getting injured and sick.
higdon10
11/16/09 12:36:00PM

Posted by mk1630

Pretty excited for this fight. People can bitch and moan about it not being a good enough fight to Main event, but what else could they have done? They had no other choices. It will be as good a card as you can have with everyone getting injured and sick.

I agree. It could definitely be worse
nickcuc547
11/16/09 3:21:56PM
nog vs. cain is still on that card correct??
Gladiator
11/16/09 3:46:42PM

Posted by nickcuc547

nog vs. cain is still on that card correct??

no sir, that fight has been scrapped altogether.
RyanC
11/16/09 4:01:20PM
Technically Evans vs Silva is the only confirmed fight for this event. None of the other fights have been officially announced. As far as I'm concerned anything can still happen with this card. It's been crazy all the setbacks they've had, so who knows?
State_Champ
11/16/09 4:02:56PM
I don't think a card needs big names on it to be entertaining.

But I can see that maybe the more casual fans would only want to see the marquee fighters.
UFC better do something quickly if they hope to have lots of PPV buys.
marcoDGK
11/16/09 4:30:14PM

Posted by State_Champ

I don't think a card needs big names on it to be entertaining.

Totally agree. As long as the match ups are good ones there is nothing to complain about.

Example- Tito vs Forrest

I am not watching that card for the Tito vs Forrest fight! I'm watching that for the Koscheck vs Johnson fight. That is going to be a war!

Tito and Forrest are way bigger names than they are but still. That fight is not going to be as good as the Koscheck vs Johnson fight.
mshalosky
11/16/09 5:24:00PM
i wonder if this will be bumped down to a non ppv event. Imo its a great card but without a big main event or title fight on the line i dont know how well it will sell especially with this economy
spikerman19
11/16/09 10:15:46PM

Posted by mshalosky

i wonder if this will be bumped down to a non ppv event. Imo its a great card but without a big main event or title fight on the line i dont know how well it will sell especially with this economy

Would Carwin be ready for 108, if so maybe Carwin Vs. Cain for the interim belt.
Macheetah
11/16/09 10:23:34PM
I like Cain vs. Carwin for the interim belt. I think it should be for the title though. Winner of Gonzaga/JDS gets a shot at the winner.
crushedbacon
11/16/09 11:09:06PM

Posted by RyanC

Technically Evans vs Silva is the only confirmed fight for this event. None of the other fights have been officially announced. As far as I'm concerned anything can still happen with this card. It's been crazy all the setbacks they've had, so who knows?

Dude I hope your right because from what this card went from to what it is, yuck. Could of had a MW title fight and a HW one, now Rashad vs Silva headlining....pretty weak for the year end show. I say they take Wandi off that 110 card and get him in there vs Hendo or Vitor.....

No Carwin either....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/11/16/1160590/shane-carwin-did-not-have-surgery
BustedKnuckle
11/17/09 5:17:33PM
HENDO!.......HENDO!........HENDO!........HENDO!

Rashad vs Thiago is a good match up, but not top bill in my eyes. i would love to see them bring hendo ack in adn have a number one contender fight with either Vitor, or Marquardt. I think Vitor needs another fight before he takes on Silva.