Evans ahead of Weidman to become next MW contender

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Evans ahead of Weidman to become next MW contender
Next Page »
FastKnockout
1/31/13 9:40:35PM
Just 2 days before Rashad Evans' next fight, Dana White adds an extra incentive to the bout. If Evans wins against Lil Nog, he'll be given the option of of challenging Anderson Silva for the Middleweight belt.

Link
Twenty20Dollars
1/31/13 9:56:49PM
It seems the best way to earn a title shot is to fight in a different division.

Just laughable to me.
prozacnation1978
1/31/13 10:08:12PM
i knew this would happen

weidman is getting the hendricks treatment
BelXavier420
1/31/13 10:11:26PM
Awesome, I'm not aboard the Weidman train quiet yet and think Evans could give Silva a decent fight.
SmileR
1/31/13 10:16:56PM

Posted by BelXavier420

Awesome, I'm not aboard the Weidman train quiet yet and think Evans could give Silva a decent fight.

Me either! Weidmans record doesn't scream number one contender.
emfleek
1/31/13 10:32:15PM
Such a crock of shit. At least win a single fight in the weight division.
UFC_Fanatic
1/31/13 10:37:05PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

Me personally, I think Weidman should have to fight one more top ten guy before he gets the shot. That said, Evans has no business whatsoever in my opinion, of getting the title shot ahead of Weidman. It's not a question of whether or not he is elite enough to warrant the shot, as we all know, he is an elite fighter. The thing is that he hasn't earned a shot within the division he would be challenging for the belt in. Maybe it's just me and my wild and crazy ideas, but I think you should have to, oh, I don't know, actually have at least one fight in the division before you get a shot. In my opinion, it takes away from the integrity of the sport, and it makes it feel more like the wwe than an actual sport where title shots are earned rather than just given.
prophecy033
1/31/13 10:43:41PM
What's this shit now?

What is the logic behind this move? Weidman is the guy that should be fighting for the Belt next. Evans, if he decides to move to MW, needs at least 1 fight in the division before he fights for the belt. But I guess this is the new normal
prophecy033
1/31/13 10:46:09PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

yet its still more deserving than Evans based on his track record in the division
postman
1/31/13 11:16:10PM
im fine with its a far better fight. For those who say he needs to prove himself at 185 did you forget the depth of 205?
tcunningham
1/31/13 11:16:50PM
this could be a really interesting matchup. it is weird how fighters are jumping weight classes straight into title fights these days, but evans being a former champ and a top 5 LHW, i do think he deserves this shot. i will be happy to see him OR weidman fight silva. if this is what it takes to test silva and keep him from taking bullshit fights like the Bonner fight than i'm good with it.
BelXavier420
1/31/13 11:19:02PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

yet its still more deserving than Evans based on his track record in the division

I was debating that but I think the fact that Evans has held a ufc belt out weighs Weidman's MW record. Also Evans was a heavy weight during his TUF appearance so he already knows what it is like to drop a weight class.
jae_1833
1/31/13 11:25:40PM
Hahaha....Weidman has just got to be pissed! Poor bastard, he will just have to have another fight before he gets the title shot which is what I had thought heI needs anyways. How awesome would it be if Nog beat Rashad and they had nothing left to do with Anderson except to match him up with Le.
sbulldavid
1/31/13 11:40:49PM
I see a lot of people swinging on Frankie's nuts but still bitching, I'm all for superfights

SmileR
1/31/13 11:42:46PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

Me personally, I think Weidman should have to fight one more top ten guy before he gets the shot. That said, Evans has no business whatsoever in my opinion, of getting the title shot ahead of Weidman. It's not a question of whether or not he is elite enough to warrant the shot, as we all know, he is an elite fighter. The thing is that he hasn't earned a shot within the division he would be challenging for the belt in. Maybe it's just me and my wild and crazy ideas, but I think you should have to, oh, I don't know, actually have at least one fight in the division before you get a shot. In my opinion, it takes away from the integrity of the sport, and it makes it feel more like the wwe than an actual sport where title shots are earned rather than just given.

I kind of agree that you should fight in the devision you're challenging for the belt in but it happens in all combat sports all the time and I don't see how it takes away from the integrity of the sport.
Mayweather jumps classes constantly, same for Pacman, De La Hoya when he still fought and almost any boxer worth challenging for a belt will do it.
I don't see why the UFC can't let Evans fight for the belt when he's without doubt earned the right to move weights and be consider a contender.
Since he beat Bisping he's fought consistent top 10 opponents and beat them all except Jones.
Weidman has fought 1 guy in the top 10 at MW and he's ranked 9th.
Maia who's now a WW fought Weidman and was ranked 9th, 10th or not at all by the majority of lists when they fought.
In all seriousness Belfort is probably the number one contender at MW after beating Akiyama (Not ranked top 10), Johnson (Ranked average of 8th moved up to LHW), Lost to Jones at LHW on 2 weeks notice and then came down and KO'd Bisping who was overall ranked 3rd or 4th at MW.

That aside the MW devision isn't exactly jam packed with contenders since Sonnen and Hendo moved up. So maybe they are trying to build up Weidman slowly since he's still relatively untested. Outside of him, Belfort, Evans (if he moves down) and Rockhold its hard to see a fight for Anderson they can realistically market. An Rockhold is only mentioned because he has the Strikeforce belt.

Evans is real threat he's quick, powerful, short and stocky wrestler who's held the LHW belt and went the distance with the champion a weight class above. I don't see why he can't be a number 1 contender and I don't get why people are going crazy over this.
Evans vs Anderson is 10x's the fight Weidman vs Anderson would be.

decken
1/31/13 11:52:01PM
Just remember it is not about who deserves a title shot it is about who will make the most money for the UFC. Weidman does not have the name recognition yet and Anderson fighting Evans sets up Jones Anderson. Which would be a huge pay day.
frizzzlecake
2/1/13 12:46:37AM
Anderson vs. Evans is going to be a great fight. Why complain about this?
Rashad has been keeping busy and winning fights, Weidman has been sidelined by an injury. UFC is doing Weidman a favor by giving him another fight, I mean after all he could lose the ringrust and might not have to face P4P GOAT.

bjj1605
2/1/13 2:12:47AM
New rule:

If you're not a champ, you need to win at least one fight in the division before getting a title shot.

They're not even trying anymore.
quezocrema0032
2/1/13 2:46:37AM
I don't think the complaints for Evans getting a title shot are warranted at all. This isn't a Diaz or Sonnen situation where these fighters both LOST when given their opportunity to become ufc champs, Rashad is a former champ at LHW & a perennial top 5 fighter in the division. he would not only by far be the most appealing ppv option but also a very formidable challnge to Anderson. It wouldn't do Weidman to much harm to get 1 more fight before a title shot considering that by the time he returns to the octagon his last victory would have been a year ago. People just love to complain, Rashad would presumably be coming of a win over Anderson's BJJ coach & long time mentor already setting up a nice storyline if he does beat Lil Nog

Also keep in mind if ANY fighter deserves a quick title shot it would be Rashad. He lost out on a few title opportunities because of either injuries to himself or the champion (or Jones booking other fights because of a "broken" hand if you guys remember that story lol). Rashad has paid his dues in the ufc, he deserves a immediate title shot as much as Frankie Edgar does. Just let Rashad get first dibs on Anderson & let Weidman fight the winner of either Belfort/Rockhold or Okami/Lombard for next shot from there.
aussiemma
2/1/13 4:46:43AM
this kind of bothered me when chael and vitor got their shots totally undeserved, but now not so much...atleast rashad has a chance.
Poor_Franklin
2/1/13 5:38:24AM
same as edgar/aldo, i think of rashad as a top p4p guy, so this doesnt bother me.
Goatenstein
2/1/13 6:39:44AM
Weidman deserves a shot. This isn't 2002, guys who deserve shots should get them. Get Ken Shamrock in there to fight jones next.
jjeans
2/1/13 9:12:25AM

Posted by decken

Just remember it is not about who deserves a title shot it is about who will make the most money for the UFC. Weidman does not have the name recognition yet

This. Why put Weidman/Silva together when Evans/Silva would sell tonnes. With Sonnen and Diaz getting title fights why are people getting butthurt when 2 of the biggest pvp draws are fighting. This is just another fight where it's not a matter of "deserving" it's a matter of "marketing"
Bythar
2/1/13 9:43:41AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i knew this would happen

weidman is getting the hendricks treatment

Hendricks is more proven than Weidman. KOing Fitch and Kampmann is a hell of a lot better than an impressive performance against Mark Munoz.
sparky
2/1/13 9:54:44AM
Rashad beats Anderson ill bet my AV on it .

Rashad is more than deserving of a fight with Silva. Rashad is a former champ who has already fought a who is who list of fighters. I dont understand stand why no one wants to see this fight
jaguar_paw
2/1/13 10:11:16AM
I don't like this.
Vitor should be fighting Rockhold for the next shot.
If not that, Weidman should be fighting someone for the next shot.

Evans doesn't even seem like a good matchup to me.
airkerma
2/1/13 10:15:39AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by decken

Just remember it is not about who deserves a title shot it is about who will make the most money for the UFC. Weidman does not have the name recognition yet

This. Why put Weidman/Silva together when Evans/Silva would sell tonnes. With Sonnen and Diaz getting title fights why are people getting butthurt when 2 of the biggest pvp draws are fighting. This is just another fight where it's not a matter of "deserving" it's a matter of "marketing"

1. Because one is a mw, the other is not.
2. Because $$$$ does not equate to integrity
3. PPV draw matters to the UFC and those fighters who will get a cut, not the legitimacy of the sport
4. If all we are concerned with is marketing, then we can just assume under Dana's little regime here, we should have virtually no qualms with following the exact same path that boxing did.
5. If the goal is to make this "super" fight, why not just at a catchweight instead?

This whole Weidman name recognition crap is getting incredibly trite and old. How does that argument even hold weight when Ronda is headlining a card against a virtual unknown, despite neither having a fight in the UFC yet? Where's the name recognition there?

As much as I want this fight to happen, I want the process to at least not look like a total joke.
jaguar_paw
2/1/13 10:36:55AM
And let's be honest.
Since when are people knocking down doors to watch Rashad Evans fight?
He hasn't had an entertaining fight since he fought Forrest in 2008.
prophecy033
2/1/13 11:19:14AM

Posted by jaguar_paw

And let's be honest.
Since when are people knocking down doors to watch Rashad Evans fight?
He hasn't had an entertaining fight since he fought Forrest in 2008.

actually, he hasn't had an interesting fight since Machida
BillsNewAccount
2/1/13 11:56:53AM
I don't know why they just don't unify the belts instead. Imagine a PPV with:
Reem v Cain
Hendo v JJ
Rockhold v Silva
Sponge v GSP
Gil v Bendo

This to me brings back legitimacy to the sport. If Zuffa is going to own both organizations they should unify the belts and stop this beauty pageant bullshit.
Pages: [1] 2