Evan Tanner Death Confirmed in California

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Evan Tanner Death Confirmed in California
Next Page »
Gladiator
9/8/08 9:59:23PM

Update 9:28 PM ET: MMA on Tap has been able to confirm through members of Tanner’s camp that the body found in Palo Verde mountain area was indeed that of Evan Tanner. No other details are available at this time and Tanner’s camp has asked that everyone please respect the wishes of his family at this time. Everyone here at MMA on Tap would like to send our condolences to Tanner’s family and friends.

link

Im pretty speechless, but i will say that ever since i started watching MMA (2005) i have had the utmost respect for this guy. I remember when i first heard that he taught himself jiu-jitsu just by watching tutorial tapes, then he became the champion! Tanner was always a warrior and my heart goes out to his family.

mmajunkie link
mmaweekly link
jae_1833
9/8/08 10:02:52PM
If it's confirmed then why would the article say this....

"He jokingly stated that if some of the equipment he purchased failed, he may actually “die in the desert”. Let’s all hope that wasn’t the case. We’ll have more details as they become available… "

I'd like an official statement from the ufc or something more solid than this. They wouldn't even attach a name to who "confirmed" it.
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/8/08 10:04:38PM
WAR Tanner! I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting him.
Gladiator
9/8/08 10:05:05PM

Posted by jae_1833

If it's confirmed then why would the article say this....

"He jokingly stated that if some of the equipment he purchased failed, he may actually “die in the desert”. Let’s all hope that wasn’t the case. We’ll have more details as they become available… "

I'd like an official statement from the ufc or something more solid than this. They wouldn't even attach a name to who "confirmed" it.

You have to read the "update" before the actual article starts. it says that Tanner's own camp confirmed it.
The-Don
9/8/08 10:05:48PM
I hope this is not true and just a misguided rumor... but I know my heart goes out to his family and friends... He seemed like a really good guy and will be missed.
jae_1833
9/8/08 10:10:38PM
I read it....then the old article, and the continuation...then typed a comment to Bill Reger of NY asking him who.....because if they released this information on the internet before informing his family they are in some pretty sticky legal grey areas. If you confirm something, I just feel that you should have something to back it up with....not just hearsay. "we here at mmasomething.com have confirmed through his camp" is definately not confirmation. They didn't even give up a name of who in his camp confirmed it.....just doesn't sound solid to me.

I am now talking to John Chandler of PA who says he confirmed it with his manager and a member of his team.Link
rabbit915
9/8/08 10:45:15PM
Holy crap
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/8/08 10:52:44PM
haaaaaaarsh
Solidus
9/8/08 10:53:31PM
Damn its hard to believe it. Evan Tanner was one of the first guys I watched fight, even though it was his first loss to Rich Franklin, and ive been a fan ever since.
grappler0000
9/8/08 10:57:48PM
The song on his MySpace page is "Guaranteed" from the "Into the Wild" soundtrack...considering his statements he made before his trip, this is possibly his way of leaving peacefully. Either way, RIP Evan.
throwmeahotone
9/8/08 11:00:16PM
I got on sherdog and that was the most Random article I have ever seen

RIP Tanner
DustinT
9/8/08 11:06:10PM
wow

....wow.

so sad.
*Sigh*
xburbx
9/8/08 11:10:00PM
wow.
RMFG_187
9/8/08 11:16:09PM
Dude, I have a feeling if he had won against Grove, this would be different. His life was in ruins before, and the 2 consec losses probably didnt help his issues.

He will for ever be remembered as one of the Pioneer MW's in the UFC, He always brought it, no matter who he fought, and he was a great man.

RIP Evan Tanner

.... im still shocked.
Aether
9/8/08 11:44:26PM
wow that's so brutal. Evan was always one of my favourite fighters. I was really pulling for him to make a strong comeback and it sucked seeing him in the state he was in during his layoff and return.

To the people saying that things would've been different if he had beaten grove or that this is his way of going out quietly, I kind of doubt it's anything that dramatic. It seems like from his posts that he really just wanted to go on an outdoors journey to have some fun, but he was going into an inherently dangerous location... He even told his friends where he was going and to call authorities if they didn't hear from him. It just sounds like a tragic accident to me.

Who knows though, I'm sure we'll find out more detailed information soon enough.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/8/08 11:46:29PM
i am speechless. He was a one of those guys, too strange to live , too rare to die. RIP tanner. We all love you.
tooly236
9/8/08 11:51:07PM
Terrible news to hear, for anyone that new him and his family and friends my heart goes out to you in this troubling time. I always admired Evan and his drive to please the fans and leave it all in the ring, he truly was a pioneer of this great sport. I struggled with alchol in my life and now what he was going through and why he searched for other forms of addrenaline and inner peace. I know he is in a better place now. R.I.P. Evan, you will be missed
otacon279
9/9/08 12:16:10AM
ROFL.

RIP.

420 tanner no doubt.

RampageOwnedYou
9/9/08 2:06:22AM
wow! I am in shock!

Tanner was one of my top favs of all time. To hear this has really hit me. What more to say, but wow.

Hope Tanner's family can recover from this.
Svartorm
9/9/08 2:21:14AM
That sucks, but he knew what he was doing and died following a dream.

I'm probably on of the few people that saw him on PPV in his first UFCs, and I loved the guy because he didn't fight like anyone but himself, and never really adopted a style other than his own. He was a phenomial writer and was very open about himself, which takes a lot of introspection and security to do, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy.

Everyone has demons, but the difference between himself and others was that he lived his life despite them, rather than folding like so many people who suffer with alcoholism. How many alcoholics do you know who could quit cold turkey, never mind quite cold turkey while traiing to fight at UFC level, and come in at his age looking like a million bucks? Win or lose, that fight was utterly amazing for a guy to even show up to in that situation.

My favorite fight of his was actually against David Terrell, because on paper, Tanner should have gotten murdered, and everyone seemed to know it except Tanner. He went in there and proceeded to bully and beat the piss out of a Caesar Gracie Black-belt until he had him in tears. Heres a guy who learned how to grapple off of a videos who just spanked a kid who has one of the most prestigious blackbelts in the world. Absolutely amazing.

Fare well brother! We'll raise the horn together someday!
Naturaldisaster
9/9/08 2:51:01AM
R.I.P. Evan.
DaMaGeInC
9/9/08 4:28:40AM
Tanner you will be missed
breakdown5
9/9/08 7:11:43AM
This sucks. Just the other day I was wondering what happened to Tanner with his adventures into the desert, and now I know and wish that I didn't. RIP Tanner.
VictimSix
9/9/08 8:04:03AM
Very sad. His fights with David and Baroni will always stick with me. Tanner and Mezger where the first fighters that I really got into and had a big part in getting my ass into the gym. This drinks for your Evan. Rip
emfleek
9/9/08 8:17:48AM
This is too bad.

Hopefully his friends and family can muster the strength to carry-on and pull through all of this. Tanner died doing what he wanted/loved doing.

I can only hope I go out like that one of these days.

R.I.P.
scpd400
9/9/08 9:02:34AM
It's a sad day. My prayers go out to any family. God bless
postman
9/9/08 10:07:26AM

Posted by Svartorm

That sucks, but he knew what he was doing and died following a dream.

I'm probably on of the few people that saw him on PPV in his first UFCs, and I loved the guy because he didn't fight like anyone but himself, and never really adopted a style other than his own. He was a phenomial writer and was very open about himself, which takes a lot of introspection and security to do, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy.

Everyone has demons, but the difference between himself and others was that he lived his life despite them, rather than folding like so many people who suffer with alcoholism. How many alcoholics do you know who could quit cold turkey, never mind quite cold turkey while traiing to fight at UFC level, and come in at his age looking like a million bucks? Win or lose, that fight was utterly amazing for a guy to even show up to in that situation.

My favorite fight of his was actually against David Terrell, because on paper, Tanner should have gotten murdered, and everyone seemed to know it except Tanner. He went in there and proceeded to bully and beat the piss out of a Caesar Gracie Black-belt until he had him in tears. Heres a guy who learned how to grapple off of a videos who just spanked a kid who has one of the most prestigious blackbelts in the world. Absolutely amazing.

Fare well brother! We'll raise the horn together someday!

I also read he won the state wrestling title in his jr and sr years when he only began wrestling in his sophmore year.
Bumpy
9/9/08 12:15:19PM
R.I.P Evans.
hodge
9/9/08 1:28:30PM
Man this sucks i remember reading the old story in which he joked that he could die if his equipment failed, now reading that it might have actually happened sucks

RIP Tanner
JBatch
9/9/08 1:56:52PM
Evan seemed to be in a weird place for the last couple of years. I was really hoping the reports were faked or the information was off base. I will really miss Evan Tanner, a true warrior and a life that has once again left us to early.
Pages: [1] 2