ESPN's Wilbon cares only about Rampage vs. Kimbo Slice

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » ESPN's Wilbon cares only about Rampage vs. Kimbo Slice
LR
12/17/07 6:37:33PM
Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser commented on Chuck Liddell's 38th birthday on PTI this afternoon, then chuckled about Rampage beating down Liddell. Wilbon said he only wants to see Kimbo Slice vs. Rampage Jackson... wake him up when it happens.

LINK
TimW001
12/17/07 6:49:06PM
I think we should elect the only people who are allowed to talk about MMA publicly.
mrsmiley
12/17/07 6:51:29PM
Dana White made a joke about these two fighting,i believe in Ultimate Grappling magazine,which was kind of funny.But this just goes to show you how much hype grows around Kimbo Slice every day.While I think Rampage would out fight Kimbo in every area,I just can't belive the guy has shown us so little in the world of MMA,yet gets so much attention.

While i'm not saying Kimbo will never be a legitimate fighter,I believe their's a lot of fighters out their more worthy of getting attention on ESPN than Slice.Sadly,this will only help build on the guys hype and newer fans will get ushered into the sport thinking a guy like Kimbo must be in the top ten because some guy on ESPN thinks he should fight Quinton Jackson.
CantAndleDaRiddum
12/17/07 6:51:58PM
Wilbon is very educated in sports, but i hate hearing him talk about mma bc it is obvious the guy is just an old boxing nuthugger who thinks mma is a joke. he doesnt see the art in it bc he is blinded by the fact that its not boxing, therefore he sees no reason to appreciate it.
in my perfect world, boxing and mma can live together in perfect harmony, both are beautiful sports
i love the klitschkos, pretty boy floyd, the pacman, and the roy jones jr of old just as much as i love arlovski, gsp, shogun, and the royce and bas' of old
both sports are fantastic
wish wilbon and everyone like him could realize that
pv3Hpv3p
12/17/07 6:57:50PM
Look on the bright side... At least MMA is getting mainstream coverage... As long as most of the fanbase are oblivious to most of the finer points of the sport, I guess we can't expect much more from the ESPN guys
wapttn
12/17/07 6:59:34PM
I've defended kimbo slice when people were saying that he was a glorified street fighter, that he doesnt have a chance, wont make it anywhere in mma etc, etc. But this is getting out of control.. first the president of EXC is calling out a fight between kimbo and ortiz, now the doode on PTI wants to see kimbo fight the number1 lhw in the world?

Heres a message to all the kimbo nuthuggers out there.. the guy has 1 professional mma fight against a guy who had an EVEN record at the time. Not only that, against a guy who obviously didnt want to be in the fight in the first place. Its disrespectful to the sport to be calling out future hall of fame fighters when the fighter has 1 professional win to his name over a slack opponent.. and why do these geniuses insist on calling out lhws?

How about we put him up against a hw who hasnt done so well in the ufc first.. maybe crocop?

REAL TALK!
12/17/07 7:05:09PM
I watch PTI quite freqently and every time MMA is brought up they automaticly talk about chuck getting Ko'd by Rampage , i understand it was a big deal, but ppl need to relize that that happened not a real long time ago, but both of them have fought since then. I just get tired of every time MMA is brought up they say " Ohh chuck got his ass kicked" I'm not a chuck liddell guy but it gets old.

Sports center acutally covered MMA pretty good for UFC 75 and they had Rampage come on the show and talk about things, they also interviewed Dana and got Joe Rogans thoughts on UFC 75.

LR
12/17/07 7:19:39PM
Here's what is funny to me.

Wilbon is this old school boxing guy, yet he always talks about the BRUTAL knockouts in MMA when the topic comes up. It's like he secretly loves it and won't admit it. I can see him sniveling in the corner at home behind his DVD collection of MMA knockouts.
Boo_Radley21
12/17/07 7:21:32PM
^
buryyourdead
12/17/07 8:01:27PM
Those guys suck out loud. When Randy was fighting GG they talked about it like it was no big deal. Blah Blah Blah I'm black and so is Rampage and he's the champ so I only like him. **** those guys. Who knows though maybe there will be a worthwhile MMA show on ESPN one day. If theres one for Nascar and poker and drift car racing then why not MMA?
12/17/07 8:04:56PM
yeh every time they bring up MMA they think that Rampage is the best thing ever and how he KO'ed chuck, they don't relize that thats old news.
krthll1
12/18/07 12:05:34AM
ESPN is most likely not where most good MMA fans go to for news. however people who do not know anything about it go there. We see it everywhere in life, like ant school the other day I heard somebody say the Broncos are a good football team. It happens. Although I agree and think that ESPN needs an MMA expertto talk to. Like Bas Rutten
cloppio
12/18/07 12:51:53AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Look on the bright side... At least MMA is getting mainstream coverage... As long as most of the fanbase are oblivious to most of the finer points of the sport, I guess we can't expect much more from the ESPN guys

true i guess the saying there's no such thing as bad press can be applied here. the more eyes the upstart "kimbo" gets to look at the mma world, the more understanding it may bring.
nastshabast
12/18/07 3:24:31AM
They frustrate me when it comes to hockey as well.

But cot damn they know football, baseball and basketball.
Trench777
12/18/07 4:38:08AM
The PTI -boys- even commenting on MMA, is like me trying to give a disertation on golf history (I have never and will never watch golf, for reference). We care what disinterested, uneducated (in the subject) people say....why?

T777
LR
12/18/07 9:15:39AM
It isn't about caring what they think. I think the main thing about the comment is that Wilbon is somewhat a person who represents casual fans who simply watch the mainstream sports. I know many of those type of fans, and sometimes... they watch a UFC event in anticipation of some type of fight that really has no title bearing, but they are interested in. Wilbon was in that arena. Kimbo vs. Rampage, while not a significant fight, is something many people want to see down the line. I don't think it'll ever happen.
loonytnt
12/18/07 12:51:23PM
i watch PTI alot and imo there 2 guys that could not make it playin sports so they have to talk about it...them and mma are like black and white, imo they need to stop talkin about mma

ESPN need to get some people that know MMA, not some people that know boxing and try to talk about MMA.

kimbo and rampage?? hmmm i guess those PTI guys love to be on the INTERNET because kimbo has not fought that much in MMA, and rampage hmmm the champ to fight a internet star lol oh please, not in the same div, and rampage would kill him
12/18/07 3:12:55PM
You are so right about the two guys who could never make it in sports. That is what basicly every sports writer is like. They think they can sit back and crtizie and place blame when they have no idea what it is like. That is a little off topic, but if they are going to talk about MMA they need to educate them selves, it is sad to see the casual fan thinks that Kimbo is some kind of legend. No disrespect to him he trains very hard, but even he knows that he is not the greatest thing to step into a Cage/ring.
zephead
12/18/07 5:43:31PM

Posted by buryyourdead

Those guys suck out loud. When Randy was fighting GG they talked about it like it was no big deal. Blah Blah Blah I'm black and so is Rampage and he's the champ so I only like him. **** those guys. Who knows though maybe there will be a worthwhile MMA show on ESPN one day. If theres one for Nascar and poker and drift car racing then why not MMA?

Your so off it isn't funny. I work in DC and have been around Wilbon for 25 years. Race has nothing to do with this. Wilbon is a huge Brian Urlacher fan. Wilbon has articles on in the Post all the time. He is on our local sports channels all the time. And I repeat, RACE has nothing to do with this.

I know it sounds better when you can throw reace into it. Make it juicy. But wilbon does talk to and have white friends. Wilbon and Mr. Tony (It's a DC thang, you wouldn't understand) are about as tight as two people can be. what you see on PTI with them, you see in the Post, you see on local sports channels and you see when their out in public.
Sam_Rothstein
12/19/07 4:49:21AM
I love espn, i fall asleep to sportscenter just about every night

then again I don't agree with half the stuff they say about sports in general, especially the PTI guys.

Sometimes they are on point but most of the time they are just loud and obnoxious

It would be cool if they did get a good mma news part of the show, it is pretty tragic that I have to visit internet blogs to find out whats going on in the news of my favorite sport

The only real breaking mma news they ever showed on espn was probably when they had the interview with randy the day he decided to leave the ufc