ESPN and MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ESPN and MMA
modogg
3/27/07 10:13:49PM
I know people have discussed this before, but I am still amazed that ESPN ignores MMA. I know there was a little article on their website today (I believe it was in the "other" section), and that they are the embodiment of corporate America, but figuring that they didn't mention anything about UFC and Pride joining today on their more popular shows (PTI, Around the Horn and Sportscenter) you have to think they will never mention MMA unless it benefits them. I have heard the argument that people feel that MMA will reach a more established level when ESPN recognizes them, but I think this is a hopeless goal.

In addition to the pro's and con's of ESPN blatently ignoring MMA, who do people think this hurts more? Both are becoming established in their own right, but I would have to think Zuffa has more bargaining power at this time then ESPN. Does this matter at all?
JimiMak
3/27/07 11:23:48PM
ESPN might've meant something at one time, but now they cover dart throwing and things I think are less of a sport than that. So it doesn't mean, IMO, what it used to. I think any "mainstream" exposure is good. The more comfortable the general populace gets w/ it is more important, I think, than whether ESPN gives it a lot of exposure. So, I think it is good when they do cover, but not detrimental when they don't.

The day we know MMA has made it, is the day they announce a match result on the news the way they did Tyson fights.
johny_rotten
3/28/07 12:04:49AM

Posted by modogg

I know people have discussed this before, but I am still amazed that ESPN ignores MMA. I know there was a little article on their website today (I believe it was in the "other" section), and that they are the embodiment of corporate America, but figuring that they didn't mention anything about UFC and Pride joining today on their more popular shows (PTI, Around the Horn and Sportscenter) you have to think they will never mention MMA unless it benefits them. I have heard the argument that people feel that MMA will reach a more established level when ESPN recognizes them, but I think this is a hopeless goal.

In addition to the pro's and con's of ESPN blatently ignoring MMA, who do people think this hurts more? Both are becoming established in their own right, but I would have to think Zuffa has more bargaining power at this time then ESPN. Does this matter at all?

Ru serious? It wouldn't affect ESPN is everyone who ever saw a UFC event boycotted their network. It will definitely help MMA greatly once ESPN jumps on board. If ESPN covers it then not only will it start hitting an older crowd, >34 year old men, but it will also be acceptable for younger viewers.

The problem is ESPN is owned by disney. The powers that be at Disney have already said they refuse to reconize MMA. I find that ironic since ESPN has helped more people start a gambleing addiction than Las Vegas. Phucking hypocrites!!!
modogg
3/28/07 1:08:06AM
i didn't mean a boycott of ESPN or anything by MMA. What i meant by which would benefit more is that running any MMA programming on their show would have to get them higher ratings then what they show 85% of the time. i hear your point with Disney, but I see K-1 on their a bit, and ESPN classic must show Tyson fights every week. i guess this leads back to your point, definately hypocrites.
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 1:40:31AM
its because they still think boxing is the best combat sport today......