ESPN asks fighters about Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ESPN asks fighters about Anderson Silva
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 2:16:14AM
ESPN gets quotes of fighters opinions on Anderson Silva.

What makes Anderson Silva so good? The Mag decided to ask people who really know why he's arguably the world's best pound-for-pound fighter—namely, other top fighters. For objectivity's sake, we went to three fighters from outside the UFC (and one rather popular UFC guy). Here we go:

"What makes him so good is that he doesn't ever tense up. Some guys get into big fights, and you can literally see that they clamp up. You can tell he doesn't. This is a strange way to talk about an MMA fighter, but Silva is like a really calm ballerina out there. He's never afraid to try anything during a fight—he's the one fighter I've ever seen who's not afraid to try that crazy, end-of-practice move that you work on every day but don't have the guts to actually try." - JEFF MONSON

"Silva is such a unique fighter. He's not really any more skilled than anybody else in the world. He's just so long and so lean that he has a completely different style than any fighter we've ever seen. His body type (6'2", 185 pounds) makes him impossible. He's so bony, too, that one of his elbows can end any fight. And with his reach, you can't really get to him because he creates so much range. By the time you do get ahold of him, he's burying you with elbows and punches. I'm not scared of anybody on the planet. But with him, I'm a realist. I'd have to try something really tricky and weird on my feet to try to catch him, or else just get on top of him and try to mash him." - BENJI RADACH

"I heard a crazy story about Silva once that tells you all you need to know. Before a Cage Rage fight in England one time, he was warming up and he was practicing some kind of weird elbow/punch. Everybody in the room was baffled because they didn't know what the heck he was trying—they'd never seen anything like that. That's not even a move! Then he went out and did it in the fight and knocked the guy out with it (here's the clip). I just know that I would tear my groin and be out for a year if I even tried half of the stuff he does. And one other thing: I used to cut a lot of weight to get to 185 pounds. Then I went to an event one time and stood beside Anderson Silva. At that moment, I realized I needed to cut more weight, because I could never hang with a guy as big as Anderson Silva. I moved down to 170 after that." - NICK THOMPSON

"I think I've gotten pretty good at my all-around game. But then I watch Anderson Silva and I realize how much I still have to learn. That guy's just at a different level than anybody else doing MMA right now, and maybe ever. There's just no weakness in his game." - BROCK LESNAR
Link
Drudinh
10/24/08 6:52:06AM
DUDE! LINK IS ON THE MONEY THAT UFC FANS ARE ANTI-LE. I LIKE HIS STYLE OF STANDUP AND THINK IT IS TOTALLY SOMETHING THAT ANDERSON WOULD HAVE TO ADAPT TO. ANYTIME I MENTION IT THOUGH PEOPLE LOOK AT ME AS A NUTHUGGER, AND BRING UP BJJ AS THE REASON THIS FIGHT WOULDN'T LAST. IMO IT WOULD BE AN INTERESTING FIGHT THAT I HAVE WANTED TO SEE SINCE LE VS FRYKLUND.

i GUESS REASONS LIKE WRONG POST WOULDN/ST HELP ME
fullerene
10/24/08 11:57:17AM
Interesting comments that seem pretty accurate. SIlva is a great ambassador for the sport in that he's all business, finishes fights and finsishes them with technique and style.

Nothing wrong with some of the other poster boys for the UFC who had more of a brawling style (Couture, Liddell, Ortiz), but I think for a new and sometimes maligned sport having a guy like Silva makes it hard to throw around accusations that the sport doesn't require skill or that it doesn't have great athletes participating.
SpiderSilva
10/24/08 12:54:41PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

ESPN gets quotes of fighters opinions on Anderson Silva.

"I heard a crazy story about Silva once that tells you all you need to know. Before a Cage Rage fight in England one time, he was warming up and he was practicing some kind of weird elbow/punch. Everybody in the room was baffled because they didn't know what the heck he was trying—they'd never seen anything like that. That's not even a move! Then he went out and did it in the fight and knocked the guy out with it (here's the clip). I just know that I would tear my groin and be out for a year if I even tried half of the stuff he does. And one other thing: I used to cut a lot of weight to get to 185 pounds. Then I went to an event one time and stood beside Anderson Silva. At that moment, I realized I needed to cut more weight, because I could never hang with a guy as big as Anderson Silva. I moved down to 170 after that." - NICK THOMPSON

I wonder what elbow punch he is talking about? ? ?
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 1:27:02PM

wrong thread
4u2nv
10/24/08 4:29:31PM
i would love to see him fight Cung-Le! Andy is amazing but everything amazing crumbles someday. I hope mentally he's not done out and wanting to retire so bad. Next thing u know u'll lose this weekend and have to climb back up instead of getting other 185ers and 205ers thrown at him.
jgtribbett
10/24/08 8:28:15PM
the video was my favorite part
ChBubbaBoe
10/25/08 1:06:12AM
Seriously anyone can try new moves on scared noobs cause they know it will not harm the outcome of the fight. Anderson is far from the best MMA fighter. I think the thoughts from fighters about Fedor are much greater and are much more vast and unbias. Here are a couple

-"Fedor is the best pfp fighter in the world." - Randy Couture, UFC HW Champion

-"Fedor is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world aside from bj Penn, those 2 are the best fighters in the world." - Rampage Jackson, UFC LHW Champion

-"It's FEDOR dude!" - Eric Pele

-"He is the BEST." - Mark Coleman, former UFC HW Champion and Pride GP Champion

-"The best in the world, no doubt." - Phil Baroni

-"Look, I've fought many people from around the world, so I've seen many strong fighters. But like him, never." - Renato Sobral

-"Fedor is on top now, it's hard to beat him now." - Pedro Rizzo

-"NOBODY wants to fight Fedor." - Wanderlei Silva, former Pride MW Champion and GP winner

-"Our great champion, he is the BEST in the world." - Josh Barnett, former UFC HW Champion and ADCC Champion

-"Fedor has no equals in Sambo or MMA." - Aleksander Mikhailin, 3-time World Judo Champion and Fedor's former training partner

-"Fedor would be absolutely great in K-1." - Ernesto Hoost, 4-time K-1 World Champion

-"Fedor has no weakness! I have seen so many fights, and even the best fighters in the world have a flaw in their game but I have yet to find one in Fedor Emelianenko." - Bas Rutten, former king of Pancrase and UFC HW Champion FSN

-"Probably the best ever lived....he's a living legend right now and I don't think there's a man on this planet who can beat him; the man is unreal. Pound for pound the best in the world." - Diego Sanchez, hooterandgreenway radio show

-"Fedor is my favorite." - BJ Penn, former UFC Welterweight Champion and BJJ world Champion, NWFS 7/9/06

-"Fedor is the most incredible fighter you'll ever see." - Frank Trigg

-"Fedor is pound-for-pound best in the world." - Shamada (Pride referee)

-"Fedor is a machine." - Don Frye

-"The best fighter to climb into ANY areana is Emelianenko fedor. He is in his own league and you can't compare nobody." - Kevin Randleman, former UFC HW Champion

-"Fedor is just too dominant, too good at punching people in the face. The way he punches people man he's trying to kill people, with both hands. He's in a whole different class by himself." - Brandon Vera

-"He is the best and undefeated... His striking game and his ground game is the best, so that's why he is the best... He is the sh*t " - Mark Hunt, K-1 World Champion

-"He's the total package; looks can be deceiving. He's incredibly strong, his hips are amazing, probably his best asset. Hard to hold down, hard to do anything with the guy.........shit he's just the best, that's why he's the best. He gets in position to throw the big bombs, he throws just as hard on the ground as he does on the feet. That's why he's the world Champion." - Mark Coleman

-"He's the fastest I've ever seen. Much faster than Mirko. And he's got a great reaction. Technically he may not have such a big advantage, but physically he is the fastest heavy guy in MMA history. He tries a punch, misses it, then immediately shoots again, Cro Cop for example didn't even see them coming. He must practise that a lot, because it's not easy to improvise that kind of thing. He is really with a good combination of styles, he can go from one art to the other, that's what makes him different." – Antonio Rodorigo Nogueira

-"He has a fast eye, good for counter-attacking. And in every fight he shows up with something new under his sleeve. Against Filipovic he used a great clinch-strike combo: he'd go for the uchi-mata, quickly following with a powerful hook." - Pedro Rizzo

Liddell: 'I'll fight anyone, Silva? Yeah sure, Quinton Jackson? Sure, Randy Couture? Sure'

Reporter: 'What about Fedor Emelianenko?'

Liddell: 'Well if I'll have to...I'll fight him...if I have to'